Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Gunna hafta put a muffler on. But which one?

2K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  dvt4u 
#1 ·
So i am running a 5" strait pipe right now but im about to start using my truck to tow around the horses and the girlfriend says it would bother them if it was as loud as it is now and this is just one of those things you gotta>:S: otherwise>:spank:

So i want it to still sound like a truck, but just a little more mellow. I would like a nice smooth LOW note but i cant trust the sound quality of any clips on youtube, so i cant decide which i like best. I had a muffler on there with my 4" system and honestly it doesnt seem any louder now without one, so obviously that muffler doesnt work good enough. But I also dont wanna go as far as hushpower, then it wouldnt sound like a truck anymore.

Please help, let me know your opinions and experiences. I only wanna do this once. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I think im going to try a donaldson 40" on mine I am like you I like the sound of it but sometimes when towing a trailer a long ways it becomes a bit much so I would like to take it down just a little but not alot. It was about right with the stock exhaust and a muffler delete but when I went to straight 5" it was alot louder but it sure does sound good.

#5 ·
silver line sounds good my friend got it on his and its got a good sound

#8 ·
Personally i am in love with my mbrp, its loud when it needs to be but sounds great to me mbrp, mines a 5" on these 24v's is the perfect diesel exhaust note!!
Have a buddy that has a aero on his stroke, its quite a bit quiter and does sound real good as well.

I spent 6months trying to decide what i wanted, you tube sucks for good muffler picking

#9 ·
:agree2:

or get a cherry bomb or flowmaster i havent seen anyone put one of those on!:hehe::confused013:

#11 ·
One of my friends that has an 02 has a Diamond Eye and he loves it. It sounds good outside, but it's not too loud inside.

#12 ·
mrniceguy, go for a ride in that trailer, Ive rode in the stock trailer behind dads 02, (when i pulled the muffler and put on a 4" tail pipe after the resonator) and it was far quieter then i thought it was gonna be. Or put on a turndown tip, should help to.

#15 ·
Do what the hotrod guys do, use cut outs you can have muff & strait pipe !! I read somewhere a guy had stock tail pipe & strait pipe with stacks just turn a handle ?

#17 ·
I've been running a Magnaflow system since 04. I am pleased with it all the way around.... mellow note without being obscene. Now when you are loaded and pass a car you do get the occasional dirty look....I guess maybe because their drivers window vibrates??

#18 ·
Well I have first hand experience with both the 40" Donaldson and FTE's resonator I just put on my new RSD 5" Str8 pipe. The Donaldson is gonna give you what your looking for. Wally's resonator is quieter than the str8 pipe but not as much as the Donaldson:thumbsup:

#20 ·
Y neighbor has the 5" Magniflow muffler and it sound really great. i almost want to get one on mine, but im the kind of guy that the louder the better, so not yet for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.