Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Well for weeks I have been intermittantly hearing the turbo spull down when I shut down the truck. But sometimes it is growlink and grinding. And it's becoming more frequently.

Took it up to the dealer and I couldn't get it to do it. Last night I noticed I was in regen (AGAIN :$:) for the last few minutes of my 40 MPH trip. Pulled in front of the house. . . Growl Grumble. . . .Grumble. . . . . . . Grumble. Definitely the Turbo doing that.

So it seems like it starts to grind when in Regen and doesn't when not in regen.

Anybody else?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Do you have anyway of getting a sound byte of it? Mine ALWAYS makes a bizarre sound at shutdown that could be described as Growl Grumble. . . .Grumble. . . . . . . Grumble but not really grinding.

Thus far I've been fortunate to not have any codes so I'm hesitant to take it in for just a noise like that.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. That's the funny part. When it's not regenning and super heated, there is nothing more than the normal bearing noises, faint. This definitely sounds like bearings grinding.

Now that I think about it, I heard a grinding noise miliseconds before I shut it down. There was no reason to let it sit for a minute at that time. Other than the regen, I wasn't driving it that hard and it was a short trip.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Slag!:thumbsup

But alas. It doesn't sound like that. It's definite a bearing growling.

Tonigth I heard what sounds like a very muted Back Fire. Kind of like a minor Muffler explosion.

But it did kick out 25 Pounds of boost when I kicked it.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Thats an odd sound. I have never listened to mine like that. I know on occasion i get a drawn out shut down, but never noticed any of the sound either of you 2 speak of.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Oh the noise I have you can't miss. I hear it with the windows closed and with the radio on. (Radio is delay off)

It sounds like a bearing race is bad. But it doesn't do it all the time. That's the real odd thing.

I had the dealer start a ticket on it anyway to cover my butt. The thing that really got me was this back fire sound. I realized I've been hearing it for a while and now identified where it's coming from.

All this started right after the AFE was installed.

·
Banned
706 Posts
The video/soundbyte from slagburn appears to be a fuel issue. The injector pump on shutdown is allowing fuel to be sent to certain injectors thus causing a rough shutdown. May be defueling improperly. Fuel or Air are the only ways to shut a diesel down-dont think thats an air problem. Palarco-does yours do this too? Let me know.
chris

·
5,055 Posts
So in other words what I'm experiencing isn't normal either?
I am not sure its not normal. I never really heard it in my truck but it may be something to do with the EGR on there as you shut it down. Valves closing or what not.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Smoke

I was thinking. (There's a novelty)

It's almost like the timing of the doors you mentioned is off. Maybe the waste gate door is stuck?

As I mentioned, I've heard what sounds like a faint muffler explosion a few times, but haven't heard that in a week or so. I am wondering if maybe you are on a track. Air cavitating in the turbo though. . .It's definitely a bearing growling type of sound and lasts until the turbo stops. I'll be driving it over the weekend so I can try different things.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My C&C shutdown sounds exactly the same but about half as drawn out as slagburn's... sounds normal. But if it is a problem, it's a normal problem.?.?. Does that sound right?

IDK... Not many 6.7 techs around any of the dealerships in my area.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I noticed the other day that it only seems to shut down rough when I let it idle for a few minutes; since the main drag to my driveway is a few miles up a hill with 1000+ EGTs I like to do a cool down idle regardless of what 'they' say about excessive idling.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I took the truck out and towed 8,000 pounds. When going up a big hill, I whaled the crap out of it. Haven't heard a peep since. Maybe I just needed to work it.

·
5,055 Posts
How was the MPGs while doing that?

·
Banned
706 Posts
Polaraco, is your truck still making that sound on shutdown?

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
It's baaaaack

I turned off the MP8 this last week. Tonight I turned up half way, experimenting. Came home, shut down and there it was growling again as it spun down.

I can't possibly see what the MP8 has to do with it. I wasn't pushing it. I just cruised about 12 miles at 40 with a few traffic lights.

There was a point where I heard a clunk. It sounded just like that familiar sound we hear with the A/C compressors. I thought thats what it was, but I just realized I had the A/C off.

This is weird. Sounds like it has bad bearings or is spinning really fast when I shut down

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Mine does that too. I thought it was the fan going back and forth after shutdown. Remember these engines have the belts designed so they don't slip and make that shutdown squeel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts