Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started getting a mild vibration, and grinding rattling noise (box of rocks like) from the front of the motor a few weeks back. Mainly around idle speed, and low speed accel and decel. It would go away at about 14-1500 rpm.

Turns out it was not the water pump, but failing bearings in the idler pulley assy and the fan support bearing/housing. The warning is that these are not covered under the powertrain warranty.... and the parts bill at dealer list was almost $900. :banghead:

So if you sense a change in sound and vibration, get it checked out while still under the bumper-to-bumper coverage.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I would expect it to be covered under the engine warranty.
after reading it, wow, stuff has changed. I thought the engine warranty included everything attached to the engine back in the 90-2000's. Now its a smaller list.

2014 2500-3500 diesel warranty

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had that bearing of bad on my 2006 with somewhere around 150,000 miles on it. I actually drove it that way for a long time, maybe a year. Sometimes it would be mild growl and sometimes louder and louder when cold like in teens or below. Finally it got loud enough that I decided to change it out while on a road trip in Oregon. When the small independent repair shop told me the price, I was shocked, he showed me what the cost of bearing from a Dodge dealership was going to be and I just swallowed hard and said I need it done and he scheduled it for the next day. That night for kicks I searched it on this site and found someone had 3 bearings for about 1/4 the cost and it was same identical part number. Next day when I took the truck in I showed the owner (remember small independent shop). He couldn't believe it. When I came back to pick up my truck he told me "I ordered the bearing from the guy you found on the Cummins forum. I went ahead and used the part from Dodge but I'm going to take the other when it arrives and return it to Dodge and get credit. So I am only charging you labor plus the cost of the part you found with a small mark up".
I love small independent shops and honesty....I would go there again and anyone near Central Point Oregon that wants to know who it was, PM me and I will share.
Saved me about $350 bucks if I remember right!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would expect it to be covered under the engine warranty.
after reading it, wow, stuff has changed. I thought the engine warranty included everything attached to the engine back in the 90-2000's. Now its a smaller list.

2014 2500-3500 diesel warranty
Yup, I will be doing a lot more self troubleshooting now for most things, before trying to claim against the power train warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reactions: gsbrockman

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Funny this thread came up, not a cummins engine, but on one of my international dt466's, I just lost the fan hub bearing two days ago. Left the guys stranded on the side of the road when it seized up and threw all the belts. $1000 tow bill, and the bearing was $680 cost, plus labor and two belts and there back on the road...... My advise, if it's making noise, replace it!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I called my service department after reading this and asked if I had it fail as you described on my 2016 would it be covered under the power train warranty and I was told it would be covered. I was told everything power train is covered except for the service items. Now I am confused as to what's covered. I read the manual and I must have missed where the idler pulley is excluded. I'm sure your right, but I was told I only needed to pay for service items on power train for the first 100k

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,774 Posts
I'd bet you were baboon'd by dealer.....call Ram customer care and run it by them......

Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.