Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh how the cold weather is upon us!
Right now we are in that "Cybil" weather mode. Cold as heck at night and yet, mid 30's to 40's during the day. I finally broke down and put my cold weather front on Sunday, beings how the forecast was calling for teens all week and I work 3rd shift. But now it's looking like it won't be too bad. So here's a 2 part question:

1) When do you guys start putting the cold fronts on? Consistent low 20's?
2) Is there a good AM grille option that would accept a easy ON/OFF (maybe snaps) cold front install?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used to wait until it was consistently below 40 to do it, but this year has been like you described, hot and cold. I put mine on 2 weeks ago when it was in the single digits and teens, but this week has been in the 40's-50's. It was 58 degrees when I left work yesterday. Truck ran normal temp though with the cover on and all the holes opened up, so I am just leaving the cover on probably until about April.

I think the factory provided cover is very easy to put on. I put it on while I was fueling up two weeks ago. Took all of about 3-4 minutes. The longest part was unscrewing the front license plate so I could put it back on over the lower part of the cover.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the lower portion of the cover. I'm only running the grille section.

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
It's been in the single digits overnight lately, but still gets to the low 50s during the day, so the winter front stays off for now.
It's not that much fun to install or remove, I think.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I removed the lower portion of the cover. I'm only running the grille section.
same as me. looks better too. takes all of 2 minutes to put it on. with holes opened up, i have never had an issue at 40-50 degrees. not sure i'd tow at those temps with it on though

·
Registered
351 Posts
I honestly didn't realize people do this with pickup trucks. Get's pretty cold around here in the winter and I've never considered this. What are the advantages of the grille covers?

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
I honestly didn't realize people do this with pickup trucks. Get's pretty cold around here in the winter and I've never considered this. What are the advantages of the grille covers?
Helps with getting the engine and fluids up to proper operating temperature.

Reactions: philandhistj

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Helps with getting the engine and fluids up to proper operating temperature.

Yep, true story there. Diesels don't 'warm' up on idle too easily. Works the opposite of a gasser. When under load, they create more heat and get warmer faster. Hence the high idle and EB advantages. The winter front limits the amount of cold air, either while driving or at start up, from passing through the massive IC'er and radiator. I can get my Cummins up to 150 coolant and 70 trans in 15 mins or less with it on. Without, maybe 25. At that point, I can a least start easing down the road without fear of causing problems.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I see you are in Boonville. I would highly suggest one. Only way my truck will warm up is with this installed. Im about two hours north of you, so we have about the same temps. You can find them used fir around $50-$60

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There's a few options on Geno's site. Bought my truck used and was gifted the factory cover still in the bag behind the back seat. So that's how I roll. But the one on Geno's site goes in the bay itself. And rolls up with a bug screen. If I didn't have the factory setup, that's the way I'd go. Theirs runs $79. Factory one is PRICEY!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts