Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,876 Posts
@TiBoneFramer , I’m trapped in a hotel room in Manhattan on business for a few days, but if I don’t get stoned by a rioter, tear gassed by a cop, or contract COVID-19, I can post a video for you soon as I get back to my truck in Cesspool New Jersey.

I‘ll show you the safest low current point and the safest high current point to disconnect the grid heater.
Best regards,
🍺 -Ej- (y)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Greetings @Jumpinjoe 🍺
As I understand it, there are 2018 trucks that have swallowed grid heater bolts.
I have not heard of a Gen-5 digesting one yet, but give it a little time. One cold winter should flush them out of the shadows. :sneaky:
In the mean-time I'll search around the forum for a 2018 grid heater disaster post as proof.
Or... Just do a full delete and be done with all of it.👍

Not to worry though. . .
Testing has proved that the chances digesting a grid heater bolt are literally "a few" in 500,000.
Best regards,
-Ej-
So tell us what this triple turbo, 2000hp Cumins has to do with a grid heater bolt.
Absolutely nothing.
The grid heater bolt is not even worth thinking about with the minuscule odds of it happening to your truck.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,876 Posts
Reactions: Busted

·
Registered
635 Posts
OK, found the grid heater and bolt on the driver's side, and the black cable going around the front of the engine to the solenoid just below the passenger side battery. My wiring harness looks a bit different than in the picture I re-posted earlier, but close enough. And the red fuse wire from the other side of the solenoid goes right to the block fuse closest to the firewall on the passenger battery . Pulled it and taped it off. This truck goes South every winter, so it doesn't really need the grid heater, and it will be easy enough to put it back if ever needed.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Easy removal, no need to tape anything off, and could be reattached in less than a minute.
I tied it off only to keep the terminal from possibly contacting the battery post again, making the grid heater functional.
Not that a "connection" like that would carry the current needed, but it would create some sparks.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yep, don't want sparks. And now we have a spare block fuse.
Good picture. And that's an awfully clean engine compartment there.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Thanks, brulaz. It's never been cleaned under the hood. Actually, the first time it got washed was a week or two ago.
But that's with less than 16,000 miles on it.

Reactions: G. Mcpherson

·
Registered
57 Posts
This user nailed it! Just buy a Ram HD with a Hemi. 😃
Cures the grid heater problem...
You can idle for days with no ill effects...
Cold weather doesn’t bother it...
Better payload capacity...
Cheaper oil changes...
Lower monthly truck payments...
And the kicker: Most FCA service techs at least have a clue when wrenching on a Hemi.(y)
I thought Hemis like to eat cams when they idle too long due to lack of lubrication to the lifters or is that just the MDS ones in the half tons?

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
My '14 6.4s had that dumb gas saver setup, too.

But since I never idle any engine needlessly, that didn't bother me. It actually took quite a while before it actually kicked on for the first time, and then I thought something was wrong when I felt the slight vibrations.
Remembered the "4-cyl. feature" and kept going.

The 1500 (V6) which I do use like the car it is, thankfully doesn't have any of that crap.

·
Registered
13,234 Posts
Ram HD and Hemi, sounds like an oxymoron
Indeed it does. Even on a medium duty it would.
The real oxymoron, I think, is putting HD badging on a light duty pickup, no matter what engine it has.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
57 Posts
My '14 6.4s had that dumb gas saver setup, too.

But since I never idle any engine needlessly, that didn't bother me. It actually took quite a while before it actually kicked on for the first time, and then I thought something was wrong when I felt the slight vibrations.
Remembered the "4-cyl. feature" and kept going.

The 1500 (V6) which I do use like the car it is, thankfully doesn't have any of that crap.
I had a 14 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 I always dropped my gear selector to manual shift 6 and it wouldn’t kick it on anymore. It shifted and drove normal didn’t really use any more gas than before just no more exhaust note change and vibration I just got into habit of doing it every time I put the truck in drive. Ever sense I traded it in on the 13 Cummins I still catch myself doing it once in awhile.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts