Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Grid Heater

5462 Views 27 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  BroncoHound
Before I remove something else and break something else. Do the 6.7's have any issue with removing the Grid Heater. I live in South Texas so the winter is not a issue for me.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
Im in Ft Worth... Mines going A-SAP !

EDIT: I should say my whole plate is going bye-bye... Im going with the Hot-Rod hole !

Before I remove something else and break something else. Do the 6.7's have any issue with removing the Grid Heater. I live in South Texas so the winter is not a issue for me.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
nope, if you do live in a colder climate you might get a grid heater performance code, but keep in mind, if you don't buy a delete plate you permanently eff up the stock one when you remove the grids (not to mention you gain almost 0 flow area). The screws are staked in and upon removing them they tear up the casting pretty good. I took one apart, so if you have questions let me know

· Registered
1,070 Posts
I live in VA and I have 0 problems with my GHD the truck starts fine and will only throw a code if it get real cold and I dont plug it in. Other than that soft code nothing else is negatively effected. I have had mine for a few months now and have not looked back

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
you don't get codes unless it gets below freezing I think, but Davy will chime in again i'm sure. BroncoHound also has had one for the same amount of time and he has yet to report a code (also a texas resident I believe)

· Registered
1,070 Posts
I dont know if I would get a check engine light as I always have one from all the other deletes. And it has to be below 40 for more than one start to give me a code.

· Registered
260 Posts
what kind of benefits are you guys getting out of deleting the grid heater?

· Registered
1,171 Posts
According to Shibby, the grid heater is a bigger restriction than the intake horn.

· Smells like Bananas
9,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks like a freaking plug with slits in it. in combination with a good intake horn and the heater gone it would appear that it would be a great benefit.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
The 6.7L grid heaters don't pose a significant restriction to airflow.
The grid heater itself doesn't pose the restriction, it is the parts of the casting that hold the grids that makes any sense. They block the flow from proceeding directly through the opening. Without it the air can expand readily into the plenum, whereas with the casting protruding into the flow area there is a large area of turbulence that carries all the way to cylinder #1. The restriction is there, it just can't be seen due to soot most of the time. See below with the grids removed.

07.5-09 Dodge 6.7L Cummins Diesel Shibby Engineering Grid Heater Delete

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Shibby,

Can you make a grid heater support that does not have all the restrictions of a stock part?

If the heater itself is not much of a restriction that would work great. Better airflow than stock and still have a heater for those cold mornings.

· Registered
740 Posts
The grid heater itself doesn't pose the restriction, it is the parts of the casting that hold the grids that makes any sense. They block the flow from proceeding directly through the opening. Without it the air can expand readily into the plenum, whereas with the casting protruding into the flow area there is a large area of turbulence that carries all the way to cylinder #1. The restriction is there, it just can't be seen due to soot most of the time. See below with the grids removed.

So is that why some of the guys on here have blown #1 Cylinder. And also can you just get rid of the grids with stock system and be OK ! And are the grids what heats up or the whole plate ?? Just curious because i live in cold climate and if we can just take out the grids as seen in your picture and still get benefit of heat from plate that would be grat for me ?? Did I explain myself right !! Not that I dont want to buy youre grid heater delete but just trying to be practical with the cold climate up here? And If I used your grid heater delete at what temp would I have to use My espar at for truck to start in cold weather?? Thanks

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
So is that why some of the guys on here have blown #1 Cylinder. Can you just get rid of the grids with stock system and be OK? Are the grids what heats up or the whole plate? Just curious because i live in cold climate and if we can just take out the grids as seen in your picture and still get benefit of heat from plate that would be grat for me ?? Did I explain myself right !! Not that I dont want to buy youre grid heater delete but just trying to be practical with the cold climate up here? And If I used your grid heater delete at what temp would I have to use My espar at for truck to start in cold weather?? Thanks
The grids are resistive elements, think of a really dim light bulb filament.... They make a TON of heat and draw a lot of power. As a result of the power dissipation in the grids the heat spreads to the plate around it, but the plate itself does not cause the heating. There really is no benefit to pulling the grids out of the stock plate. No heater, you'll probably have to plug the espar in slightly below freezing.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
Shibby,

Can you make a grid heater support that does not have all the restrictions of a stock part?

If the heater itself is not much of a restriction that would work great. Better airflow than stock and still have a heater for those cold mornings.
I could, but it would end up having to be an exchange program where you ship your old one back, and it'd have to work and be undamaged. The problem I can see with modifying the stock one is that the grids are meant to have air flow through them, and the only way to increase flow into the intake is to port around the grid, which essentially bypasses it and decreases its efficiency. It could be done, but you may see slightly harder starts :confused013: they wouldn't be nearly as bad as if you had no grid heater however.

· Registered
2,881 Posts

Your grid heater delete looks like it will flow a lot more air than the stock part. You mentioned that there is a lot of turbulance to cylinder #1. Cylinder #1 is the front cylinder...did you mean the 6th cylinder at the rear of the engine is seeing a lot of turbulance? Just curious. I could see that the front cylinder being so close the heater grid that there is not very much distance for air turbulance to calm down before entering the cylinder.

Too bad some of us live so far north to try this mod...but if a guy parked outside and used a diesel fired engine heater for the cold days it may work quite well. I have had to start many different diesel powered equipment that had not been plugged in. Even after years of starting them with the aid of ether they still ran fine. They sure don't like the cold, but after they warm up and stop smoking and rattleing we would work them just like in the summer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.