Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to share this information with anybody that has a Cummins 6.7 engine.
I had a catastrophic failure of my engine due to the grid heater Bolt, I had a hundred and eleven thousand miles on the truck.
I've had my truck for one year it's a 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel.
I want to make people aware of the problem that will cost you around $20,000 or more.
This is a problem that both Dodge and cummings know about but are not doing anything to fix it.
The problem is the grid heater, after time the grid heater gets hot and melts the solder around the bolt and it falls out the bolt and washer falls down in the intake and goes through your valves and then goes to the piston, after bouncing around for several minutes it splits the sleeve and the block.
The damage to the engine includes destroyed head destroyed block.
I am posting this because this is what happened to my truck it's a very expensive fix.
I've been doing some research and finding out that this is a happening to an inordinate amount of trucks and there not doing anything about it.
They will not help with the cost of the repairs.

·
Registered
14,424 Posts
There is a huge thread on here about this subject had you taken the time to look.

And, they obviously don't all fail in this manner, mine has 504.5K miles on it, and the same grid heater has been used for a very long time in these engines.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Please post more info!

Case started, dealership experiences, invoice cost, etc.

Who repaired??

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I want to share this information with anybody that has a Cummins 6.7 engine.
I had a catastrophic failure of my engine due to the grid heater Bolt, I had a hundred and eleven thousand miles on the truck.
I've had my truck for one year it's a 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel.
I want to make people aware of the problem that will cost you around $20,000 or more.
This is a problem that both Dodge and cummings know about but are not doing anything to fix it.
The problem is the grid heater, after time the grid heater gets hot and melts the solder around the bolt and it falls out the bolt and washer falls down in the intake and goes through your valves and then goes to the piston, after bouncing around for several minutes it splits the sleeve and the block.
The damage to the engine includes destroyed head destroyed block.
I am posting this because this is what happened to my truck it's a very expensive fix.
I've been doing some research and finding out that this is a happening to an inordinate amount of trucks and there not doing anything about it.
They will not help with the cost of the repairs.
Thanks for taking the time to post your unfortunate experience.
I have disconnected mine,if I am ever in arctic conditions I might temporarily hook it back up if required.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted the corporate office for Chrysler and they will not do anything for me.
I'm using the diesel mechanic that I have known for a long time, and he is certified ASME.
He is about half the price of what Dodge would charge me to put a new engine in. The long block is $14000.00
I got a long block for $7220.00 it has five year 100,000 mile warranty and a two-year roadside assistance.
DFC Sales out of Calgary Canada

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Do you plan on deleting the heater now?

I removed mine last year. Some guys ( maybe girls and non-binery people too) disconnect the heater power at the solenoid.

It is a poor design, and they will fail given enough cold starts. If you wait to start as it heats, itll fail.

How do you start your truck in the cold? Did you wait for the heater light to go off before starting?

You should search grid heater here and post in the thread poll about grid heater failure.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The only common factors in the engine eating bolt threads is..... none! It's a sh** design, and may or may not drop.

Are cold climates and winters using the grid heater constantly, and waiting to start common factors in failure? Have any users in warmer climates had the bolt drop?

·
Registered
14,424 Posts
So, get a big money lawyer and get all the others who have had similar failures together and file a class action law suit against FCA and Cummins.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the new engine has the delete. I did not know there was a problem with it, if i would have know i would have taken out.
I normally turn the key on to start and let it heat up. Yes waited for the heater light to go off before starting.

What is the thread poll ?? That is what i was doing by my post?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes me. our weather has been on seasonably warm.
the shop sees quite a few of these go bad.
The company that I got the new long block from said they see upto 1000 per month, and the shop that i wanted to rebuild my engine is 6 months out because of this problem.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,967 Posts
Greetings @Broken Diesel

1.) While i cant help with a class-action suit against FCA, I can help with preventing your new engine from grenading like your old one did.

2.) If your truck is deleted then this is a non-issue. Just remove the grid heater from the new engine.
However, if you’re planning on staying emissions compliant PM me and I’ll give you some info & options.

Keep us posted with your progress. :thumbsup:
-Ej-

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it's all deleted including the grid heater as well. I did a lot of upgrades to the engine while I was in there.
new Bosch injectors balance to 2% ,airdog fuel system, upgraded Turbo ( old was bad)

I am sure someone will come along and give me some idea how start a class action lawsuit. especially now that Dodge knows that there's a problem and they just hiding it there's actually a TSB. the trucks can actually catch on fire.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
i hope i can shed some light on this.

factory 100k/5yr will cover the grid heater itself and any damage done resulting from failed grid heater.

i was told by my dealership service dept it was not covered initially. they did some more research for me and found that the engine and internal parts are covered under warranty. i did find out my grid heater relay, the cause of my issue was not covered. they could not fit me on the schedule for 1 month so i asked what i was to do. the mechanic said, drive your truck. if the grid heater fails dropping the bolt the engine failure would be considered damage due to a failed warrantied part. before spending 14k on a rebuild, unless you have it to spend and want to, i'd have fca replace the long block then use some of that cash to bulletproof it so to say.

·
Gearhead
57 Posts
Class Action Lawsuit is well overdue for this ! Look i traded my 2006 5.9 (2 wd) (No DPF) Purchased new in 06 , Wonderful Truck in VA, Moved back to New England in 09 and purchased a new Big Horn 4x4 , True story i had this Peace of $%##$$% for 6 months with the new 6.7 and DPF new design . 5 damn times it went into Regene of the Fast lane going 65 and lost all power !!! all most got killed 2 of them times trying to get off the congested hwy . It was a common problem when they first started using DPF without DEF . After many trips back to the dealer it still was a Hazard ! and did it again . After only 6 months owning this New truck My wife followed me to the dealer and Handed the Keys to the service manager and told him to tell Chrysler to show this truck up their A$$ . Hired a lawyer and saved my credit and lost my 5K down payment . After a couple years i found a 2007 NOT a 2007-5 and did a 187000 carefree miles . To this day" Chrysler take note" I will not purchase a new Cummins . I just finally after 12 years with my 2007 decided to purchase a 2013 CHEAP to test this DEF system . The second day of ownership the 2609 CEL came on .Yep grid heater bolt almost dropped . My Carlady had a CLASS Action back in 2008 for the failed design of the Clogging DPF and has helped . Lets Get this going WHY NOT . ? Class Action time . For those of you scoffing at this your next !http://www.mycarlady.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/62-ORDER-Denying-Chryslers-MTD-03.12.2012.pdf

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
With the cost to fix this, I am shocked there is no class action suit yet. Anyone know how hard it is to inspect the grid heater bolts to see if they are starting to have an issue?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
With the cost to fix this, I am shocked there is no class action suit yet. Anyone know how hard it is to inspect the grid heater bolts to see if they are starting to have an issue?
Search the grid heater bolt threads for "wiggle test". Before the bolt goes, it gets loose, and you can feel it loose on the end outside the intake manifold.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts