Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Grid Heater Delete questions

3108 28
Hey fellas, just trying to get some info on grid heater delete before I buy, I know there are a series of threads, but haven't been able to get the answers I'm looking for. Is anyone using one of these? and if so, is it worth it? Also, if removed, how cold can the weather be before it starts to affect the starting/running performance of the engine?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
My self I am still running mine it is somwhat restrictive on the airflow I guess but unless your looking for major power and MODs your not gonna notice much gain from what I have read and heard. IMHO you would be better off to get a good intake and intercooler tube you would get more for your buck. The grid heater helps most at 40 and below below that you'll notice some blue smoke until warm up JMO

· Unreconstructed
24,944 Posts

· Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Yeah if you do decide to replace it Shibby's is the best priced and looking set up that I have seen

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Ive had my GHD for a few months now and you will see a hp and torque gain of about 10hp and 10ftlb of torque. My truck runs just fine without the GH in tempatures 30 and above. If it get any colder than that I always have acess to a plug in. I did mine because I plan on going big in HP. Other than that I think broncohound only saw a tiny gain in MPGs.

· Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,449 Posts
Just as mentioned before, the GHD alone won't yield you significant gains. Where the GHD will really come into it's own is when the boost tube and intake have been upgraded to free-flowing units. I think the difference between a truck with just a boost tube and aftermarket intake and one that has all 3 will be pretty significant. Without a boost tube and intake horn though, there are too many restrictions before the air gets to the grid plate to really open the airflow up a whole bunch. I recorded a 6-10 degree drop in IAT, a bit smoother throttle, and no noticeable fuel economy change.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the input guys, yea the intake horn is still in limbo until I can bring myself to drop the cash on it. I'm looking though, if I do the intake horn and bost tube, I will most likely upgrade the entire inter-cooler setup, I've been looking at the AFe and Banks...but like I said, all will heppen when the bank account allows.

· Unreconstructed
24,944 Posts
I'd recommend AFE BladeRunner...

A little cheaper, and comes with boost tube.

I'm trying to think of any other IC's that are good out there...I'm sure there are...Just having a mental-block...LOL

· Registered
740 Posts
thanks for the input guys, yea the intake horn is still in limbo until I can bring myself to drop the cash on it. I'm looking though, if I do the intake horn and bost tube, I will most likely upgrade the entire inter-cooler setup, I've been looking at the AFe and Banks...but like I said, all will heppen when the bank account allows.
The BD Cooll it intercooler is awesome as well?? Have one and love it!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

· Registered
2,881 Posts
The BD Cooll it intercooler is awesome as well?? Have one and love it!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
So you have the best intercooler, a free flowing DIY (soon to be replaced from what I hear) boost tube, you have an aftermarket CAI so maybe your next mod should be an aftermarket air horn? You know which one I like but I am sure that any of the new ones will be a marked improvement over stock! So while you are at it why don't you get Shibby's GHD so it will really breath well! I will help you do the install. How long do you think it will take to do it all at once? Or more importand now that it is spring...how many beers will it take to do this job? :hehe:

· Registered
740 Posts
So you have the best intercooler, a free flowing DIY (soon to be replaced from what I hear) boost tube, you have an aftermarket CAI so maybe your next mod should be an aftermarket air horn? You know which one I like but I am sure that any of the new ones will be a marked improvement over stock! So while you are at it why don't you get Shibby's GHD so it will really breath well! I will help you do the install. How long do you think it will take to do it all at once? Or more importand now that it is spring...how many beers will it take to do this job? :hehe:
Waiting to see what shibbys intake horn will do !! Then I might do grid heater delete,intake horn and Ill already have the boost tube!! When his hits the market it will be a hard choice because the WCC , fastcanuck work very well too!! I might have to close my eu=yes and just point !!! LOL Also waiting for work to really pick up !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

· Premium Member
14 Posts
The grid heater opening is very small compared to the size that it could be and should be. Is there a way to get a larger grid heater and open up the hole to the maximum size? I've built a custom intake horn and boost tube and love the results but fear I won't have time to reinstall the heater grid when the canadian winter returns. These trucks start good all the way to -25 c and are better than the other brands for winter starting. I probably should quit being lazy and just do it.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
the opening through the grids themselves is actually larger than the opening through the casting that holds them The problem lies in the way they are cradled in the grid plate not so much the design of the grids.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have the GHD, I couldn't tell you if there was a difference since I did all the deletes, 5"TBE, gauges, and Smarty all in the same night....long long night. But, it is definitely a much larger opening, so it can only be good as long as you don't need the heater. I haven't tried starting it in less then 60deg weather.

· Premium Member
14 Posts
just did the grid heater delete yesterday. Already had the boost tube and intake horn and holy sh!!t what a difference. I could barely get it to smoke with the chip cranked when I normally get a pretty good cloud. The boost needle went up so fast I thought it was gonna come back around again. It was alot of work removing the rail and injector lines but if you planned ahead and did other mods at the same time. maybe injectors, shim the fuel release for an mp8. this truck is breathing like it should have come from the factory

· Registered
47 Posts
Grid heater Delete

I had been considering this (and still am) - some added info though.
My daily commute in my 2500 HD is actually taken at the same time along the same route with almost the same other users on the country roads I use - it is very repetitive.
The run involves country roads, open freeway and some in between and a couple of hills so a range of speed and power.
I get my fuel from the same station - I always run around 450 miles between fills - and I record my mileage all the time.

The only thing that varies is the outside air temperature and what this shows is that for every degree warmer in outside air temp I get 0.15mpg better fuel consumption. BUT most of this is a change in the first 20 minutes of driving

So deleting the Grid heaters will give cooler running - and less mpg in real terms?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.