Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am getting tired of this engine. I have had several junky first gens but they all ran great now I have a really nice one and the engine sucks! Ugh!!

Any how I am getting a heavy grey haze at idle with a very stong make your eyes water cant breath diesel exhuast smell. I barely can hook up my gooseneck without taking a break for some fresh air. The truck is not turned up much and it does not smoke much while driving but if I stop and let it idle for 30 seconds or so then here comes the haze. I have changed the filters, tuned the pump evry which way and pulled my injectors and had then cleaned and popped. I am out of ideas and could use some direction!

Thanks
Jon

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Could be injection pump timing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had this exact issue for a while and it turned out to be REALLY dirty injectors. We are talking 1/8" of black crud on the tips. Cleaned, reinstalled, and truck is good as new. Sounds different, runs stronger, and doesn't smell bad. In fact there is very little black haze even with pump turned up.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I allready had the injectors cleaned. I was also thinking timing since i am having egt issues also. Maybe my ip has slipped in its gear.Other than the smoke it runs great.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Thats what happened to mine, gear moved a little and was causing all kinds of grief.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you get the same symptoms as mine? If so thats an easy fix!

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled my ip off today and there was no key in it at all ( I was very careful not to drop it) and I can tell the timing had slipped but it is hard to say how much. Now that I have the pump off I have decided to just take it and have it rebuilt and a 366 spring put in it. Any thing else I should have the shop do?

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got my pump back on today and the truck is still hazing my egt's are also still a little high as they were before. I looked my motor over real good and noticed it has a 12cm exhaust housing.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will check my lift pump today.

·
Registered
98 Posts
turbo going bad? bad bearing? not sure about the diesels yet but my subaru and dsm both hazed quit a bite. upgraded turbos took care of that problem.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
the key way got all chewed up and the gear kept slipping a little. Supposed to be fixed now though.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
turbo going bad? bad bearing? not sure about the diesels yet but my subaru and dsm both hazed quit a bite. upgraded turbos took care of that problem.
New cartridge 6 months ago.I cecked the lp no problems there which I figured as it is new also.What I have done to date is reman turbo cartridge, injectors popped & cleaned, ip gone thru and timing set, and a new lift pump. The truck is still hazing grey at idle:banghead:

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Took 3 try's to get IP my rite, to my understanding just a little slippage on the gear can cause problems. Mine was starting haze real heavy. It has'nt done it at all since I got it back from the mechanic, the exhaust dont even smell bad at idle like it did.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Your trucks are fine. It has more to do with the fuel, Every time the fuel prices jump up. Mileage and power go down. Anybody else notice this? Add some cetane booster to the fuel. IE: Power Service in the grey bottle, to start with. Then run the white bottle regularly. My truck runs with the same haze. Poor Fuel is all I can come up with.:doh::banghead::doh::spank:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.