Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me first start off by saying thank you, This forum has a ton of great information and People!!! And, yes i have done a lot of searching (x2).

I know this topic has been beaten to death, and have done a month’s worth of searching on my pending lift purchase, learned a lot I may add. Have been at CJC checkout a half dozen times with different packages and options and still have not pulled the trigger, stuck on decisions for my lift.

With the Carli and Thuren options my biggest (newbie) concern is that I don’t want to make my HD ¾ ton into a ½ ton just to get a better ride. Don’t mind the stock ride, but then again I never felt the Carli/Thuren ride. And, am not really after longer/more travel, just some height to the truck.

I played around with jacking the truck up to get an idea of what a 3” and 4” lift would look like, and the 4” is where I would like to be (personal preference). So, THANKS in advance for helping me out with my questions and decisions.

Front Lift:
I am leaning towards the Carli 3” coils because they are a little stiffer then the Thuren, but only have a 2.75” lift vs the Thuren 3.25”. One thing I am considering is using the Daystar 1” coils spacers with the Carli springs to achieve a 3.75” lift, and with a ½” spacer on the top of the Bilstein 5100 shocks for the increased height. (not sure if this will be enough shock for the 3.75” lift).

Rear Lift:
Looking at the Carli 5-leaf pack for an 1.5” lift in the rear, along with the Thuren shackles to gain another .75” for a total of 2.25” lift in the rear. Not really too excited about the Carli full leaf pack as it will lighten the load a little. I will be running Firestone air bags with a spacer for the lift, and a Hellwig rear sway bar.

Control Arms:
Still undecided between the Carli vs the Thuren. I don’t think the 285/75/17 nittos with a +5mm offset will be an issue with straight CA’s, but still undecided.

Track Bar Drop Bracket:
I understand that a drop bracket is not required with a 3” lift, and would need one for the 4” lift. But, question is wouldn’t it make a better system installing a drop bracket for even the 3” lift. It just seems to me that by keeping the track bar geometry in more of a horizontal position would make it more efficient and less stress on the track bar bushing.

Pitman Arm:
Same goes for the pitman arm, wouldn’t a dropped pitman arm make for better geometry even for a 3” lift.

The tuck has 100k on it, and just currently installed the following:
(Have not put any miles on it yet, waiting on some good whether to drive it to the body shop to have the panels undercoated. MN salt..)
(The attached pic is basically how the truck sits today with the 2” level)
  • 2” coil spacers
  • Firestone rear air bags
  • Bilstein 5100 shocks
  • Bilstein damper
  • Carli sway bar end links
  • Carli track bar
  • Hellwig rear sway bar
  • Stock front sway bar
  • Nitto Grappler 285/75/17 +5 offset (with custom OEM wheels)

Pending Purchase (I think):
  • Carli ball joints
  • Carli 3” coils (and the daystar 1” spacers if I try to achieve the 3.75” lift ??)
  • Control Arms, Carli or Thuren
  • Track bar drop bracket (unknown at this point ??)
  • Dropped pitman arm (unknown at this point ??)
  • Carli 5-leaf spring pack
  • Thuren shackles (if I try to achieve the 3.75” lift ??)
  • Air bag spacer

Please let me know if i am heading in the wrong direction, or if i am just out in left field somewhere...... I have thick skin.

Again thanks for putting up with another “what should I do” Lift Thread. And sorry for the long thread, just didnt want to leave anything out :confused013:

Bill

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I've heard Carli has a stash of Coils that came out wrong or however you want to word it, and a 3.5" lift coils….May check into that

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard Carli has a stash of Coils that came out wrong or however you want to word it, and a 3.5" lift coils….May check into that
That would be the icing on "MY" cake!!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
I asked about those two but they were for the 4th gen trucks. IIRC the spring rate is higher on the 4th gen ones. Maybe still work for you for just more lift but they will ride stiffer than desired for the 3rd gen trucks. I was wanting them in case my front sagged by putting a winch out front.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I think a drop track bar and a drop pitman would male it better but i dont think it can work properly with short arms or any type of arm that swings your axle forward under full compression(im only talkn about a 3" short arm truck with 10" travel shock s or higher

Reactions: willyg1997

·
Vendor
1,158 Posts
Hey Bill, like Dom said, you will have clearance issues running the drop track bar bracket with 3" short arm system and stock bump stops. Some guys have run 1" coil spacers on their 3" systems without too many issues. If you wanted to go that route, I would keep your pending purchase list, but subtract the drop bracket and drop pitman arm.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
This is my predicament as well,.. the Thurens are taller than the Carlis,.. but for me cost is too high to ship to Canada. Carli I can get from HRTOffroad in Alberta and then just add a 1" spacer,.. but I didn't know what the out come would be.

As for the rear I alrady have the Thuren shackles waiting to be installed when i get the front coils

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
paul/dom, what if he were to use the pure performance adjustable arms? i have their 4" kit (yes yes yes i know, but before anything is said it was free!) it came with adjustable short arms, drop bracket and drop pitman arm. i have not had any clearance issues whatsoever and all seems to work well.

so wouldnt he be able to adjust the control arms properly and run a 3" coil and a 1" spacer/isolator along with a drop bracket and drop pitman arm? essentially everything should spec out the same as the regular 4" would but you would have a softer spring rate with carli and thuren??

also im planning to put some thuren coils in the place of what i have now to still keep the same height but soften up the spring rates so im curious on this as well.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Once you go past 3" don't you end up with front driveshaft issues,like needing to get it lengthened?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think a drop track bar and a drop pitman would male it better but i dont think it can work properly with short arms or any type of arm that swings your axle forward under full compression(im only talkn about a 3" short arm truck with 10" travel shock s or higher
Hey Bill, like Dom said, you will have clearance issues running the drop track bar bracket with 3" short arm system and stock bump stops. Some guys have run 1" coil spacers on their 3" systems without too many issues. If you wanted to go that route, I would keep your pending purchase list, but subtract the drop bracket and drop pitman arm.
Ok, sounds good. I am looking at either the Carli or Thuren CA’s, and at this point would it make more sense to look at the long arm CA’s? If I stick with the short arms which is the better option, Carli or Thuren?

Sounds like wanting the 4” is just going to make for a poor suspension set-up. I guess I could settle for the 3”, maybe make some ½” spacers for the front Carli coils and just use some new stock insulators. This may sound like a dumb question, could a stock upper rubber insulator be used on the bottom of the coils?

As far as the rear lift, can you tell me what the actual lift height of the the 5-leaf add a pack would be, and also the Carli Deaver full leaf pack?

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
What is the reason for wanting 4" lift? What rubber and rim are you trying to clear?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the reason for wanting 4" lift? What rubber and rim are you trying to clear?

It’s not a clearance issue, 285/75/17 on OEM wheels with a +5 offset. Just a personal preference of the look of the truck with the 34's.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Cool, just curious as I am wondering if there is a big enough difference to notice between 3" and 4" :confused013:

I went front stock coils and a spacer to Carli coils and it lifted the front up another 1". Just another data point for ya

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, sounds good. I am looking at either the Carli or Thuren CA’s, and at this point would it make more sense to look at the long arm CA’s? If I stick with the short arms which is the better option, Carli or Thuren?

Sounds like wanting the 4” is just going to make for a poor suspension set-up. I guess I could settle for the 3”, maybe make some ½” spacers for the front Carli coils and just use some new stock insulators. This may sound like a dumb question, could a stock upper rubber insulator be used on the bottom of the coils?

As far as the rear lift, can you tell me what the actual lift height of the the 5-leaf add a pack would be, and also the Carli Deaver full leaf pack?
So, it looks like the Carli add-a-pak is only a .5 lift, and the Carli full leaf is between 1.5-2.0 lift.

Is the lift amount on the full pack closer to the 1.5 or 2.0?

I like the slope of the truck as it sits right now with the 2.0 front lift and 0.0 lift in the rear. If i were to go with Carli coils (2.75") and the Carli full leaf (2.00") it would change the slope angle to +1.25" higher in the rear. That is if the full leafs sit at a full 2.00 lift.

With the Carli accident 3.50 coils and the Carli full leaf (2.00) the back should sit .50 higher in the rear.

And, where can i get my hands on a set of those Carli Accident Coils??

I would like just to settle on the Carli 2.75 coils and the 1" daystar spacers, but it sounds like i will have suspension issues and it is not the best practice.??????????????????

:S::confused013::S:

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Dan at carli or one of their vendors can hook you up. I like working with Paul and Cody at CJC personally.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan at carli or one of their vendors can hook you up. I like working with Paul and Cody at CJC personally.
Thanks Bud. Ya, I will check with Cody on monday.

·
Supporting Vendors
9,594 Posts
The Carli add a pack is adjustable by didn't or removing the sins that are under your current leaf pack. We have the taller coils in stock, but you should call and discuss them with us before ordering. Five minutes on the phone is worth five hours on the internet, we can sift through the information faster, and tailor your suspension to your exact needs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts