Cummins Diesel Forum banner

great! its already broken!

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Begle1 
#1 ·
so my truck wont turn off and i know its not the fuel cut solenoid because i turned my ignition and it almost cut out. before i go ripping everything apart is there any weak points or just certain spots to look for?

thank you!

#2 ·
Yeah, IT IS THE SELINOID. Use the manual shutoff lever to the right of the KSB selinoid to kill it. You need to remove the selinoid to gut it and install a cut off cable on the lever. The selinoids won't last in a modded pump.

#4 ·
ok. i swear it was something electrical because i was moving the ignition back and forth and it started to cut off but just kept running

#3 ·
They almost always fail that way. If you turn the screw very much at all it's a good saftey measure to remove the plunger to prevent junk from traveling into the injection lines/injectors. If it won't die with the wire disconnected then the selinoid is bad. no other way.

#6 ·
yeah. i was thinking of using a actuator that would hook onto the manual fuel cut.

:$:

#8 ·
You will find an edge of the solenoid broken off. Lets just enough fuel thru to allow the engine to keep running. I have lost 4 of the stupid things so now have a pull cable hooked up to the shut off lever for when the next one fails. Like was said above, I have never found the chunks of rubber that break off!

#11 ·
I could get a picture of mine tomorrow...

The plunger isn't going to be shredded if it isn't used, correct? I'd keep it there for emergencies. It saved me on one runaway a while ago... The 2x4 evidently wasn't a perfectly flat 2x4, and with the manual lever pulled taut and the 2x4 over the turbo the engine was only dropping to a really angry 600 degrees.

The point being that the solenoid has a few panic/ emergency shut-downs in it before it shreds. I'd consider it worth keeping if somebody else ever needs to turn down the engine in an emergency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.