Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my front ujoints this weekend. Then while driving through town, i started to hear a grinding/scratching sound coming from the rear tires. I jacked up the truck and the brakes are fine, still half life. The sound comes when i am starting to drive from standstill and goes away when i reach around 25mph. It is the same when i am driving forward or when im going in reverse. Is there some sort of bearing that neeed to be replaced in the rear like the front ujoints or is something else going out??? :confused013:

·
Banned
400 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding how working on the front caused a sound coming from the back. Get the wheels up with the weight on the springs and start turning things by hand to look/listen for clues.

·
Registered
740 Posts
if you turn left or right while moving say like 15 or 20 does the sound get worse or better?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont think it has anything to do with working in the front, maybe it was just time.
If i turn while driving at that speed (15-20mph) it does not get worse. And it sounds like something it rubbing at just one spot but i cant pinpoint the noise. Its coming from under the rotor but i cant get that thing off.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was out in eastern Wa. all weekend, lots of gravel roads. I thought it could be a rock or something stuck somewhere but when i spin the rotor, it wont allways make the sound. And with the truck on jacks, it sounds like its coming from both sides?:confused013:

·
Registered
740 Posts
is the noise a constant noise or does it sound like its hitting in one spot and the noise gets fast with speed

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does it sound like its hitting in one spot and the noise gets fast with speed
:ditto: Thats what it sounds like. Both side brakes are good. could it be a bearing or something? I dont know much about rear ends.

·
Registered
740 Posts
im not sure i dunno these axles very well im not a tech or anything but thats what it sounds like. does your truck do anything weird when you hit the brakes like does your pedal pulse or does your truck viberate

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
When i apply the brakes 80% of the time it goes away. If im driving and apply both brake and gas pedal it goes away a little bit then comes back.

·
Registered
740 Posts
haha ya im trying to learn as well to i just dont wanna say something stupid and be wrong. but i would prolly say its some kind of bearing in the rear end. you should pull the check plug on the rear diff and stick your finger in there and see if the fluid is contaminated. but make sure you dont pull off the drain plug if there is one

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just before i replaced my ujoints(1 week ago), i replaced my differential fluid, both front and rear, the rear fluid was milky, looked really bad. I put in Amsoil 75w-90, and drove it a week till a heard the sound, dont know if its related.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just before i replaced my ujoints(1 week ago), i replaced my differential fluid, both front and rear, the rear fluid was milky, looked really bad. I put in Amsoil 75w-90, and drove it a week till a heard the sound, dont know if its related.
Milky isn't good. water?

If it were a bad bearing, the noise wouldn't go away... and it would be more of a howl.

·
Registered
740 Posts
hmmm i dunno there is any other bearings in the axle other then the pinions and the carrier i would suspect maybe carrier bearings but dont hold me to it let some one else with more knowledge on these trucks chime in im just a newb to the automotive world

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
6,080 Posts
is the sound deff coming from the brakes :confused013: could be a rear u-joint even if the driveline is tight my rear u-joint was dry, changed it & problem solved :thumbsup:

·
Registered
956 Posts
With it going away at higher speeds, it won't be a bearing, they get louder and louder the faster you go.

Did you make sure to check the inside brake pad? Just because the outside if half life doesn't mean the inside it.

If it's not your brakes, take your truck through a car wash with and underbody wash and see if that clears up and mud or gravel.

Those would be the two best bets. Try them out and let us know!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
could be a rear u-joint even if the driveline is tight my rear u-joint was dry, changed it & problem solved :thumbsup:
I dont know where the ujoint is in the rear, my rear drive shaft has quite a bit of play but i dont know what to replace to fix that or if thats the problem?

Did you make sure to check the inside brake pad? Just because the outside if half life doesn't mean the inside it.

If it's not your brakes, take your truck through a car wash with and underbody wash and see if that clears up and mud or gravel.

Those would be the two best bets. Try them out and let us know!
Did both today and the sound is still there but it comes and goes, before i washed it it started to sound a little muffled then it was gone and came back.:confused013:

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
6,080 Posts
well there should'nt be any play in the drive shaft, so that sounds like the culpret to me like i said. the rear u-joint is the 1 right in front of the gear housing & the front is the 1 behind the tranny :thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ill take it apart on my next day off, prob Tue. and hope it goes away. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well guys i have figured it out..... I had a buddy practicaly hang on my bed while i was driving down the street(it was barely 5mph). Turns out one of ujoints was the culprit. I changed all three(just finished) to be safe and now i got no noise but a smooth ride. Thanks guys for trying to help me figure this one out:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts