Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i have 4.10's and never really driven the rig that fast before but now that i have gauges i put her to the wood for a bit to see what happens. I have no GSK yet and was wondering what happened at 70-75mph. Seems like it defuels/falls on it's face at this speed. I tried to see if it was boost or egt related but it definetly seems like at about 75mph it won't go any faster and even seems hurt and i back out of the throttle. Is this the governor? will the truck run any faster then this? Does the Gsk fix the mph restriction or just the rpm the engine defuels at? P.S. - with the gauges rodding around i can only get 900 -egt temps and 35psi....boost = normal? trans temp never gets above 160... of course its 20 degrees here and the trailer is parked so no towing.... any ideas? I wanna to the AFC mods & smoke screw adjustments soon, don't think the tranny will handle it though.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What RPMs are you running at when it runs flat ?

·
Banned
300 Posts
Ok, so i have 4.10's and never really driven the rig that fast before but now that i have gauges i put her to the wood for a bit to see what happens. I have no GSK yet and was wondering what happened at 70-75mph. Seems like it defuels/falls on it's face at this speed. I tried to see if it was boost or egt related but it definetly seems like at about 75mph it won't go any faster and even seems hurt and i back out of the throttle. Is this the governor? will the truck run any faster then this? Does the Gsk fix the mph restriction or just the rpm the engine defuels at? P.S. - with the gauges rodding around i can only get 900 -egt temps and 35psi....boost = normal? trans temp never gets above 160... of course its 20 degrees here and the trailer is parked so no towing.... any ideas? I wanna to the AFC mods & smoke screw adjustments soon, don't think the tranny will handle it though.
Do the governer springs, you will like it.
I just did my AFC mods today and @ 90MPH was hitting like 2,500 rpms with a lot of pedal left.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure of the rpm's, i need to check again. I do think it's mph related. Is the mph governor mechanical, i.e. gsk related? or is it electronic. I do alot of towing so i think the GSK would help. Does it simply change the defueling point which mechanically raises governor speed?

·
4,002 Posts
its not speed related, its just a centrifugal weight setup that pulls the rack back the faster it spins, you are in need of a gsk which consists of stiffer springs to keep the rack from being pulled back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts