Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went too install the 3GSK today, when I took out the 7/8 plug it had a wear pattern on the backside, The Last owner had been inside before me, one set of springs was good, the other side had been put together with the small spring retainer on the outside, the spring had gone over the top of the retainer and looks to have caught the end as it went around, that bent it out and must have destroyed something else in there as out the the bottom of the cavity my magnet fished out 2 small C clips and a very small woodruff key? Those I have no clue.The only lucky part was the spring crossed over the nut and kept it from falling apart also. Low and behold the inner springs were aftermarket and no wear or damage to them, the big original spring is the only torn up part, the other set of springs are Ok, but I have no clue as to what the other parts belonged too. NO wonder this darn truck was such a dog. Can you buy a rebuild kit for the governor or am I going broke buying a new IP. IM damn surprised that it even ran after seeing this much damage. I sure value all you guys direction, Thanks Lou.

·
AlGores worst nightmare
1,953 Posts
I wouldn't mess around inside there with those issues. You have a couple choices, remove it and take it to a Bosch service shop and have it rebuilt (they will only rebuild it to stock), if in a hurry get a reman one, or use it as a core and get a hi-po one from Scheid, Piers, etc.
I definately would not run it as is.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Went too install the 3GSK today, when I took out the 7/8 plug it had a wear pattern on the backside, The Last owner had been inside before me, one set of springs was good, the other side had been put together with the small spring retainer on the outside, the spring had gone over the top of the retainer and looks to have caught the end as it went around, that bent it out and must have destroyed something else in there as out the the bottom of the cavity my magnet fished out 2 small C clips and a very small woodruff key? Those I have no clue.The only lucky part was the spring crossed over the nut and kept it from falling apart also. Low and behold the inner springs were aftermarket and no wear or damage to them, the big original spring is the only torn up part, the other set of springs are Ok, but I have no clue as to what the other parts belonged too. NO wonder this darn truck was such a dog. Can you buy a rebuild kit for the governor or am I going broke buying a new IP. IM damn surprised that it even ran after seeing this much damage. I sure value all you guys direction, Thanks Lou.
All you need is find a core pump and pull the fly weight assembly out of it. or buy just the assembly but it will cost you damn near the cost of a core pump. and of course get new springs

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes upon a closer look it also bent one side of the fly weight assembly stud. I think I'll buy a rebuilt IP, I wonder If they exchange my 160 HP core for a later model?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After calling around, most places wont accept my core due to possible Damage even though it still runs!!!. Pensacola Diesel offered 100.00 for the core. Looks like a hunt for a parts donor or a good used pump, anyone know of a decent runner or donor please leave me a message. I figure while it's down i'll upgrade my rear brake cylinders, and other less money draining chores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts