Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on ebay and found an almost brand new "Jake E Brake" built for the cummins 8.3 i believe checked the specs and its a 4" jake perfect for my 06 with 4" already on it. Well I got the JB for $400 but then I thought I would check and see if anyone has installed aftermarket JB's and someone said you have to replace the exhaust springs. Is that true also is there any tips that I should know about before/during installation. Any and all information is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
fill out your sig so we know what your truck is...

But if it is a 3rd gen there are no mods needed... Just make sure the backpressure isn't more than the motor is designed for... I don't recall the number, maybe someone will pipe up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have no clue but bump

·
Registered
846 Posts
ALL 24V engines (1998.5-Current) come ready to have an exhaust brake installed. If anything you may need to have the ECM reflashed for the ECM to recognize the Exhaust brake. (I had to on my 1998.5).

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
This is not a true Jakebraket right, this is just an exhaust brake off the manifold that works off of air pressure not one that operates the valves so they don't open all the way?

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct But it is a Jacobs Exhaust Brake. Here is the link for the brake

http://www.jakebrake.com/service/pdf2/021603.pdf

Here is the Ebay auction link showing what it came with.

eBay]eBay Motors: E BRAKE,Exhaust Brake,by Jacobs.Pacbrake,PAC,Jake brake (item 130221985113 end time May-19-08 10:15:00 PDT) Motors: E BRAKE,Exhaust Brake,by Jacobs.Pacbrake,PAC,Jake brake (item 130221985113 end time May-19-08 10:15:00 PDT
I already have onboard air with a tank and have an eaton.

So I planned on putting a switch in the throttle so when I come off the throttle it will engage and also wire in a toggle switch so I can turn it off if I want.

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
The ECU is already setup for an exhaust brake, just need to know where to put the 2 wires.

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ALL 24V engines (1998.5-Current) come ready to have an exhaust brake installed. If anything you may need to have the ECM reflashed for the ECM to recognize the Exhaust brake. (I had to on my 1998.5).
Would you mind expanding on the ECM being Flashed. I dont understand.

·
Heck if I know
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me if the way i am planning on setting it up will do damage to the engine. Install the brake and hook it up to the the onboard air. THen connect the electric solinoid to a push button switch and mount it above the throttle arm so it will engage when I come off the throttle. Then wire a toggle switch into that same system so that I can turn the entire system off for what ever reason. Or do I need to buy the entire vacum pump and wiring harness from Jake??????

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
I would at least run the wiring harness... the ECU is programmed for a Jake, it will turn it off and on based on load, speed, and coolant temp...

Also have you checked the max backpressure that EB makes, would suck to save a few bucks to do damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts