Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you check my pics you can see i got stuck in my yard backing up a boat?? My big bad cummins stuck:banghead: How hard is it to put an LSD in the D70 and can any some one post a link to a good LSD// thanks

·
I bleed Diesel
2,508 Posts
i got a dully and bad tires i go muddin lol. 2wd. but i have a single wheel open diff an u gotta go balls to the wall an tear up some . i wish i had a locker.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cheapest available is the Lincoln locker.
about 4 rods should hold it all together

·
First Generation Moderator
2,224 Posts
LOL My 1990 will get stuck in gravel. No joke. I have to be very careful where I go.

·
Registered
738 Posts
was the limited slip diff not standard on all of these? mine has it, i figured it would be standard in at least the 92's and later. or did they put them in the 4wd's only? that would be dumb!

·
First Generation Moderator
2,224 Posts
Optional. Not even the 4X4 is always LSD.

·
1ST GEN MODERATOR
16,269 Posts
The limited slips was a option for our trucks.

The clown sending in the build order at the dealer ship was the one that determined the options it got. I am sad to say a lot of these trucks came without them.

Also in 89 Dodge had a warning in the salesman build book that LS was not recommenced with the diesel option.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yeah pretty gay i have an 05.....no limited slip :sad2

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think that any full size truck should have LSD...I am lucky, mine is damn there a locker.....I've never been subject to a 1 wheel peel in any road or off road condition...It's just another way to squeeze an extra $2,000 out of you when ordering a new rig.....

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so is there any aftermarket ones that available? How hard is the install?

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are aftermarket units available, but I don't know for sure if they are available for your application....Installation is not bad but I think that your gear backlash has to be shimmed properly and belive that takes tools and knowledge that most don't have....

·
Registered
172 Posts
I added a true trac to my 9.25 front. I had to buy about 1k in tools and a service manual CD. I bought dial indicators. 3/4 torque wrench, dial indicator for the lash and a bench dial indicator to measure the carrier bearing distance. I used the wax for the contact area. Overall it would of been cheaper to have a good shop do it. I did feel good about doing it, but I also had a old mechanic take a second look before I put the pan and drive line back on and drove it.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Keep in mind a 2wd LS will just as easily get stuck in the grass as an open diff. Your best bet is to try to not spin the tires or tire. Once you do, you're stuck there. I have a Detroit locker in my 2wd auto and it will get stuck with ease if the tires break lose. Too much torque maybe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think the lack of weight over the tires compared to the amount of weight directly over the front tires which are not contributing to the forward motion causes a lot of problems. Even with both of my rear tires helping I can easily get stuck in soft ground without the 4wd locked in........

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 4x4 lsd truck gets stuck too.. it spins all 4 and sinks like a ships anchor.. I believe loc right makes what u need.. i had it in my rockcrawler jeep and it works great on the street with no slip and no shimming just pulll the spider gears and install the loc right locker. The problem is the front of the truck is 4k pounds its not easy to move. Good luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine came with Power Loc (Dana) from factory. it was option. am sure you still can buy them. need more weight in back and better tires.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have an 07 3/4ton 4wd and burried it backing a flatbed trailer and jeep the other day. She sank to the axles

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts