Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
Im new to this site and have a few questions I know somebody here can answer.
I have a 91 4x4 5 speed
1. My truck wont shut off. I have been yanking the lever on the pump to shut it off. Where is the fuel shut off solenoid? I see a wheel cylinder looking thing with one wire on the end of it at the bottom off the pump. There is also a thing that almost looks like an oil pressure switch with two wires on it at the rear of the pump. Are any of these what I'm looking for? Also where do i get a replacement? Who carrys them, and roughly how much do they cost?
2. My speedo and odometer arent working. There is no cable so I assume there is a sending unit of some sort. Is it the one at the tail end of the transfer case? All the wiring is good. Is there any way to test the sensor?

I got this truck for super cheap and it just has little stuff wrong with it that if solved , would make it more enjoyable to drive. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
641 Posts
The fuel shutoff is the second unit you refer to, the one on the back of the pump with two wires. You can get them from Cummins, VW dealers, ebay, etc. they range in price from 20-60 bucks depending on who's you buy.
Your speedo/odo aren't working because you need new plastic gears in them. There's an article in tech on how to replace the gears, where to get them, etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Your condition often happens when injection pumps are turned up. A rubber tip in the fuel shut-off solenoid fails and you either have to stall it or hook up a cable to the manual shut-off lever, which you have already found.

You may soon become a member of the "cable shut-off club" One advantage of being a member is that it is really hard to steal a truck with the cable shut-off.

The solenoid is replaceable and is rebuildable. In most cases though, if a truck has been modified enough to eat a tip, the replacement does not last very long either. If you do go for a cable, you want it set up so it will stay in the off position till you release it. Right now, someone could push your truck and it will start and head out on its own. Most of us have emergency brakes which freeze up in colder weather and we tend to leave the truck in gear rather than risk frozen park brakes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
the shut off solenoid is the one at the rear of the pump with 2 wires on it, its cramped to get out, yes the spedo sending unitis at the tail end of the transfer case. thats all i can answer for ya

·
Registered
218 Posts
nevermind they beat me to is, sorry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. A friend of mine gave me a brand new choke cable. Gonna install that today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts