Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Got rid of my Dodge

5K views 54 replies 36 participants last post by  justadonor 
#1 ·
I just traded in my stock 2007 6.7. I loved everything about the truck except the terrible mileage. I was getting 12-13 mpg in the city and 13-14 on the highway. I just couldnt bring myself to spend close to $3000 dollars (including installation) to improve the gas mileage on a new truck. It wasnt that I couldnt afford it or didnt have the money... it was mainly the principle of me being force to dump more money into a new vehicle just for me to keep it. I got a brand new GMC Denali for about the same price that I paid for my Dodge (I did lose my as* on the trade). The Denali only gets about 13-14 in the city but does get 17-18 on the highway not to mention 60-70 cents a gallon cheaper than diesel. So everytime I fill up, I save about $20. Just wanted to give me two cents. Its sad what the EPA has done to deisels.

#2 ·
sorry to hear it now... but I guarntee in the money that you Lost your a$$ on trade in you coulda put into that truck and been getting 17-18 EASILY and 20 on the hwy.... i bet for $1000 you coulda proaly been getting that! just my .02

#3 ·
My 5.9 didn't see good mileage until it hit about 60,000 miles and it just gets better. Sorry for your lose:beer

#4 ·
No way I could improve the mileage that much for $1000... unless I went with inferrior parts. BADP quoted me right at $3000 including installation... and I realize that the $$ I lost on the trade could have been used to improve the milegae, but I figured to cut my losses now... than wait till later. The value of deseils over the last year have dropped at least 15%.

#6 · (Edited)
I am sorry to hear that too. when my truck had low miles on it, it was also geting the same mileage you were. but now that i have 29k, I get about maybe 15 around town and about 18 to 19 on the hwy. AND my truck is still stock nothing done to it yet.
What people dont realize is that diesels are not like gas motors, diesel dont get great mileage right out of the box. they have to get some miles and time to break in. my bro as a 06 w/ about 120k on it. and he didnt the 20 or so until 40k, now on the hwy, going about 65mph he will get about 27mpg!!

#7 ·
I had 20,000 miles on mine and the mileage didnt improve. I dont think the "break in" is the same with the 6.7 as the 5.9 due to the emission crap. I have a buddy that has 75,000 miles on his 6.7 and is still is getting 13-14 city 14-16 highway. Maybe we are unlucky.

#8 ·
BADP's 5" stainless TB system is 1310 and you can get a juice with attitude for 7 or 8 hundred and you'd be seeing a ALOT better fuel mileage with that, and seriously if you can't install either of those yourself you shouldn't be driving anything

#10 ·
thats a bummer!!!!!! i just hit a lil over 20k on mine.........now its a lil hard for to figure out what i actually get between city/highway.......cause its mixed,by the week...........but when i fuel up ........i get bout 27 gal worth .......hand calculate......and im getting between 17-17.8 mpg......yeah the cost $ucks.....but i had my share of gassers.......NOTHIN compares to the cummins........in the winter i pullled a trailor w/ 6 snowmobiles and 1 in the back of my truck.........plus 3 other people ..........and there was no sign of a decrease in mileage..mileage stays whether im empty or full...........idk.......just my.02.............pull what ???? i say ..sure ill pull it .....cant do it in a gasser though unless u have a gas station every 50 miles

#11 ·
its not that I cant install either of those... I dont want to. Just like I can change the oil in my truck.. but I dont do that either... and correct me if I am wrong, but I have seen numerous posts with some problems with the installation (cat full message etc) I would rather have someone that has installed dozens of these kits do it for a couple hundred bucks (tank and a half of deseil)

#12 ·
the kit is not code free as of yet, BUT if you get the juice with attitude you can set it to clear all codes...all problems solved...well except the fact you've got a gasser now.

#17 ·
Wow sucks to hear that. At $20 savings a pop at the gas pump it will take you forever to get it to pay for itself. Horrible choice in my opinion, but sounds like you can afford to toss money away. Gas is climbing very fast to $4 a gallon, it's catching up to diesel very fast in my area. Enjoy your new ride.

#20 ·
why didnt you just buy a beater to drive in instead? ....i drive my drz400sm when im not in the mood to drive my cummins....... i dunno im not trading my truck for nothing

#21 ·
Hope it works out for you. You gotta do what you feel is the best for you. I havent had any issues with mine and i see decent mileage. Not dropping it yet..........or ever.

#23 ·
Funny, I have a lot of issues with Dodge and Cummins over CEL's, etc but I'm not complaining about mileage. I hand calculated a bunch of tankfulls and they were all about 18.5. I haven't reset my overhead in about 7,000 miles and it shows the average at 21.0 but we know the overhead is optimistic.

I looked to trade mine in a while back and was only offered $16k for a truck that cost me $30k only six months ago. I couldn't afford to dump it with such a miserable trade-in value.

#24 ·
Mine overhead says 21.8 atm, I calculated it out to be 19.6, that's mainly city with some highway driving and getting on it here and there. Sorry to hear about you trade! I went 6k upside down on my Cummins, so this bad boy isn't going no where!

#25 ·
Have fun in your new denali, they are sweet rides and quick.

#27 ·
Between diesel prices and the new emissions equipment life is hard on a diesel driver's wallet. I hope your new rig treats you well and you enjoy it. And of course you are always welcome here!:thumbsup

#28 ·
I spent a little over a couple grand and bought an Isuzu Pup to drive. Yep I'm keeping my Dodge forever. Just won't be driving it everyday. The money I save driving the pup at 35 plus mpg helps pay for my fuel for the Dodge. Everyone should have the experience of driving a 58 hp. Isuzu and then drive a new 6.7 . I just love the diesels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.