Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a rebuilt 5-speed Getrag from Kansas. It was laying in the bottom of the crate when it arrived. Transmissions being tough beasts, it's probably just fine.

Reardless, I'd like to get some knowledgable advise about checking it before I install it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
If it isn't good you can use it as a mooring for that ridged bottom inflatable.:lol3:
I would think that the only things that could get hurt or bent would be the shifter or maybee the input shaft ( doubt it )
Good luck< I know how hard buying unseen stuff is. I have bought heavy equipment before with out even seeing them due to being so far away.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If it isn't good you can use it as a mooring for that ridged bottom inflatable.:lol3:
I would think that the only things that could get hurt or bent would be the shifter or maybee the input shaft ( doubt it )
Good luck< I know how hard buying unseen stuff is. I have bought heavy equipment before with out even seeing them due to being so far away.
I would tend to concur!

Chris

·
Registered
192 Posts
Pull the rubber boot up.There are two PIN BOLTS that hold the shifter ball in place. That is the weak link! Check and see if thy are tight to spec! After trans is in and if it jumps out of gear with in 1000 miles check PIN BOLTS to see if loose.If one is .THAT PIN BOLT IS STRIPPING OR THREAD IN HOUSING. A painfull experience!!!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I've seen a few guys tap a fitting higher into the transmission to let you overfill it with oil easier...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I've seen a few guys tap a fitting higher into the transmission to let you overfill it with oil easier...

I have read here latly that you can take out the highest pto cover bolt and overfill that way. But this is comming from a guy with a 727 so maybee I dreamed it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have read here latly that you can take out the highest pto cover bolt and overfill that way. But this is comming from a guy with a 727 so maybee I dreamed it.
Nope, not dreaming... That is correct.

Chris

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone on this forum (another thread) fitted a 1/2" street elbow into the fill-plug hole. That sounds good to me. It enabled him to get another inch of oil in the crankcase. I'll do that and take a picture (during this week) while I still have my transmission out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
yea id make sure you overfill it 1 or 2 quarts with 5w30

1 - 9 of 9 Posts