Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!

What should be the next modification?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got through with the DPF and EGR delete! Wow! What a difference! Can't wait to see the mileage difference. I actually see black smoke!:thumbsup

·
Second Most Important Member
1,747 Posts
emissions free

pipeliner, what specifically is the difference, power, torque, mpg ??? i'm tempted to rip this stuff off as well, but i'm worried about warranty issues. my luck is that i'll break something and be screwed..........

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
so youre still seeing smoke even with the egr delete?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Congrats. MPGs wont increase constantly watching the smoke pour though. LOL!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
sweet, best thing for a cummins is to get her breathing..... and farting:lol3:

if you can quit making smoke with the skinny pedal you will see more mpg too

if if if if :rof

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pipeliner, what specifically is the difference, power, torque, mpg ??? i'm tempted to rip this stuff off as well, but i'm worried about warranty issues. my luck is that i'll break something and be screwed..........
The lying overhead is showing about 4mpg increase. I haven't did the hand calc yet. The power difference is unbelievable. Screw the warranty, the problems I had from my truck was the emmissions crap. I love my truck again. :hyper:

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
The lying overhead is showing about 4mpg increase. I haven't did the hand calc yet. The power difference is unbelievable. Screw the warranty, the problems I had from my truck was the emmissions crap. I love my truck again. :hyper:
:woot: That's what I like to hear:thumbsup

·
Registered
319 Posts
That is the way I feel too! As soon as I put on the DPF delete I fell in love again! EGR plates are on the way from Keven! Cant wait!

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
LP,

Glad you like your truck again dude... I feel most guys would if they get the same idea about screw the warranty LOL... I was at the same place you was about a year ago now and I blowed off the warranty idea as you since all my problems was the emission stuff and they couldn't fix it...

I figure now the rest is all fast and nasty downhill hot passes if you know what I mean dude??? I just got through getting my raptor 150 mounted and all plumbed in and setup. One biggy thing I hear with my truck now is that faint little ticking noise I had, is gone now... Got to love that chit. That ticking noise I figure was the injectors not getting enough fuel and more important than that, the fuel had some air in it and left the injectors ticking a little ever so often...

I look forward to reading what you see from the recent mods dude. Get her out on the rode and give her some time to burn out some of the soot and carbon that has been let to build up in the combustion chambers with the lack of the better air flow you have now...

Hey before I forget dude, just how bad was your air heater grid built up with carbon anyway??? Mine was so bad because of the 80K miles I had that you could hardly see through it. Once I cleaned all that off it really perked my 6.7 up...

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
My truck is still purring like a champ too. 45k miles on BADP exhaust and 10k with plates. Rarely smokes now unless i get on it hard and still barely smokes. Congrats on the install. Its an amazing difference on how much better it runs between the both. Im hoping i can make this motor last 500k miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you use the HS or the BAD kit?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Jeb how do you clean your grid heater on a 6.7
Once you get your intake horn off it is easy to access the grid. I just used my shop vac. Not much oil seemed to make it that far so it was pretty dry but still caking on there. At 12k miles total, 500 of which was with PMT (only 2 blasts on PMT extreme) a couple of my grids were partially fused together by soot when I took the EGR off. I am sure Jeb was throughly disgusted at 80k miles.:thud:

Also once the EGR came off I think the ECM adapted some. Before EGR came off and just the TBE there was smoke. When the EGR came off smoke decreased. After running with EGR off for a while smoke is decreased to nearly unnoticeable. I have been adjusting my passenger mirror down to watch the tip as I go through the gears and in all but "extreme" PMT v.1013M Beta I do not see any smoke which I prefer.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The air grid heater was terrible and I only have 35,000. I could not imagine how bad it would get, if not modified. I have not been through a tank of fuel yet, but have 325 miles and still a quarter of a tank. I have done quite a bit of idling on the ROW. It is nice to be able to idle and not worry about clogging something up. This was a very smart move on my part and would recommend it to anyone.

I spoke to one of the welders today that has the 6.7. He said that he has trouble with CELs and has about 22,000 miles. I informed him that it is only the beginning. He should be on here soon.:rof:rof:rof:rof

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Quadman,

As already mentioned dude, I too used a shop vac and a small stainless steel hand brush right side by side to get all this crab off the grid. I hit it with just the shop vac first to get any of the loose and then dragged the shop vac with the SS brush back and forth real easy to get the rest off...

At well over 80K on mine when I did this, I honestly don't know how the friggin' 6.7 was even running at all, as there was very few places you could see voids through the grid... You think about this, I get the idea the 6.7 may very well just be real happy on solid fuel LOL... No air needed :)

Then I think about the over 4K a month I spend in fuel, it makes perfect sense :( They may very well have a real winner here with this solid fuel burner... The EPA may even have to rethink this once they get the gest of this also. Heck the motor doesn't use any fresh air top run, what a deal, they will have to stay up late a few nights to figure how to screw this up even more if that is the case LOL :)

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,126 Posts
Congrats on your new modes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just finished the 5" TBE H&S Delete on my 6.7. Mileage a definite improvement...but awful tough to keep my foot out of it. Hard to believe a truck with 37's will lay a hundred foot blackie!!! I'm running the updated box from H&S that doesn't require the EGT probes in the pipe. I keep tripping a P0031 code for low voltage on the O2 sensor. Has anyone seen a fix for this. I unclicked the O2 sensor and put some dielectric grease in them. Didn't fix it!

·
Premium Member
2,623 Posts
Just finished the 5" TBE H&S Delete on my 6.7. Mileage a definite improvement...but awful tough to keep my foot out of it. Hard to believe a truck with 37's will lay a hundred foot blackie!!! I'm running the updated box from H&S that doesn't require the EGT probes in the pipe. I keep tripping a P0031 code for low voltage on the O2 sensor. Has anyone seen a fix for this. I unclicked the O2 sensor and put some dielectric grease in them. Didn't fix it!
So you have decided to give the ol 6.7 a go? :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts