Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Got my new to me CTD

1451 20
I live in Phoenix, got my clean 05 4x4 2500 QC SB. I love this truck and need some help from the pros. The truck has 50K on it and its super clean, tires will need replacing in about 5-10K I'll stick with the stock size, where do i buy the good oil fuel air filters in phoenix? Any good independent shops?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,438 Posts
05 w/ 50k,,,sounds like a good deal,,,,i have an 07 w/ 46k,,good luck w/ your rig bro,,,get some pics up

· Registered
215 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! When you go with new tires, one thing I would discourage is buying the Hankook rf10s (ATs). They are actually great tires, but everyone I know that has them (including myself) have complained about vibration/balancing problems. I have 6k on mine and Im ready to swap em for something else! lol

As far as the air/fuel/oil filter... you can get them at any autozone or checkers, but I would recommend going to genosgarage.com.. I believe they have a whole package deal... all fleetguard.. which is pretty good stuff. I would recommend oil change every 5k and air/fuel filter every 10k.. but Im sure you will get many other opinions.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sam

· Registered
428 Posts
Thanks Myke, Yeah I can help you out with you truck. I myself run Amsoil Oil and Filters and filtermag on my truck. The oil is full syn 15w-40 and meets all emission standards if that is something your going to worrk about. My truck Runs smoother and is actually a little quiter since beginning to run it. I have also gained a little over 1mpg from running it. I would however suggest a Filtermag for your oil filter no matter what oil or oil filter you run they collect down to 2micro sized metal shavings comparison a human blood cell is 6microns. And it will also add about a 1000 miles to the life of the oil. I can help you out with just about anything for your truck so feel free to give me a call my brother posted up my number, and its also in my sig.

And congrats on the new truck and being a new member.

· Registered
752 Posts
Fleetpride has a location off of I-17 and McDowell. You can get your oil, fuel filters there, idk about air filters though. Ive never bought a stock one before.

· Registered
193 Posts
Just buy quality filters and oils, Amsoil is argueably the best. DO NOT use Fram or other cheap filters sold at Autozone, checker, walmart, etc. Napa filters (made by wix) are a good filter and what I usually use. Fleetguard is also a great filter, as mentioned above you can get them from genosgarage.com and most truck shops.

Chrysler has a list of accepted filters, and they can even void engine warranties if a cheaper filter is used. I have personally seen a Fram come apart and the filter media sucked through oil gallies in a Cummins. These diesels have so much flow volume that the cheaper filters just cant handle it. So spend a few extra bucks on the quality filters.

As for tires, I love my Nitto Terra Grapplers. Only thing I hate about them is they dont have raised white letters :banghead:

· Registered
428 Posts
And wix is produced by amsoil. Which I can get Wix fuel and air filters aswell

· Registered
1,171 Posts
From what I have researched, you can go wrong with Mopar and cummins oil and fuel fliters... as far as air filter, I have never bought a stock one either, so I dont know what to tell you there. If I was still running a pannel filter I would go with a good foam or a good dry flow performance filter.

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
filter mag?

Thanks Myke, Yeah I can help you out with you truck. I myself run Amsoil Oil and Filters and filtermag on my truck. The oil is full syn 15w-40 and meets all emission standards if that is something your going to worrk about. My truck Runs smoother and is actually a little quiter since beginning to run it. I have also gained a little over 1mpg from running it. I would however suggest a Filtermag for your oil filter no matter what oil or oil filter you run they collect down to 2micro sized metal shavings comparison a human blood cell is 6microns. And it will also add about a 1000 miles to the life of the oil. I can help you out with just about anything for your truck so feel free to give me a call my brother posted up my number, and its also in my sig.

And congrats on the new truck and being a new member.
Whats a filter mag?

· Registered
229 Posts
I would seriously consider the Fleetguard LF16035 Stratopore oil filters. Fleetguard is a subsidiary of Cummins & what is recommended for the Cummins engines. The Stratopore media is their highest quality filtering media. Some of the aftermarket filters have a bad reputation for quality. It only costs a little more to go first-class!!!

I would consider the Fleetguard, 7 micron fuel filters FS19800.

Regarding fresh air intake systems, with what I know now, I would go with the system produced by Peter Tomchka of psmbuick.com. His system incorporates the stock air box with a 4" hole in the bottom & a hose that allows fresh, cold air into the filter. The filter he likes the best is the AFE ProGuard-7, drop-in filter. You have to oil this filter but, IT WORKS!!! And, his system is much cheaper than many of the aftermarket systems. It's more efficient, also, than most aftermarket systems.

I have the AFE ProGuard-7 air intake system on my '03 & it filters well according to the used oil analysis I have done at the last 5 oil changes. The problem with this system is that it is open to the hot engine compartment environment. It sucks a lot of hot air & that is not good. The psmbuick.com system does not suck hot air. Peter Tomchka is an engineer that has done extensive testing in the mountains of CO. & can prove his system works as advertised. If I had to do it over, I would buy one of his systems or build a copy, myself. It's pretty simple. His system does not have the "cool factor" when you open the hood but, it works. I don't believe I have ever had anyone really admire my AFE system, anyway.

Regarding oils, if you plan to change oil regularly, a quality conventional, diesel rated 15w40 motor oil should do just fine. There are many trucks with over 1 million miles on the engines, without a rebuild, that have used just a good conventional motor oil & good filtration. If you live in a very cold climate, the fully synthetic 5w40 may be a good idea. Their ability to flow in very cold conditions is better than conventional oils.

Another benefit of the fully synthetics is that you can extend the oil drain intervals if you use a bypass filtration system that keeps the oil extra clean.

If you don't plan to extend your oil drain intervals, Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo-400, Mobil Delvac 1300 & some other heavy-duty engine oils will do just fine, for you. With the new CJ-4 rated oils, an oil change interval of about 5000 miles is recommended, from what I've read.

These are my opinions which I came up with from spending way too much time reading about this stuff. I'm not an expert but, do know a bit.

Hope this helps.

Joe

· Registered
897 Posts
I red necked engineered that system with some rv dump hose (pic's on here somewhere) ....IMO, I wouldn't spend the extra $ for it just do it yourself. Also, I was buying the wix fuel filter and found out that the specs say nothing about it being a water seperator so I just switched back to OEM. There's a thread on here about that issue too. Congrats on the new truck!

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
new truck

Lots of good info, thanks. I might try to copy that cold air intake, and red neck engineer it myself. I'm trying to find a bed cover or tool box right now, looking at a undercover, its plastic adn looks like a good inexpensive solution, or maybe just a toolbox. What do you use?

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
new truck

Lots of good info, thanks. I might try to copy that cold air intake, and red neck engineer it myself. I'm trying to find a bed cover or tool box right now, looking at a undercover, its plastic adn looks like a good inexpensive solution, or maybe just a toolbox. What do you use?

Mike

· Registered
428 Posts
If you don't plan to extend your oil drain intervals, Shell Rotella, Chevron Delo-400, Mobil Delvac 1300 & some other heavy-duty engine oils will do just fine, for you. With the new CJ-4 rated oils, an oil change interval of about 5000 miles is recommended, from what I've read.

This diagram shows the weight lost, during regular changing intervals. conventinal where at 3000 and the syn blends where at 15k.

Im running it in my truck, i check the oil once a week just to keep tabs on it, im at 6k miles on this change and the oil level it still at the full mark. The oil does not smell burnt and once I change the oil ill be cutting the filter apart to see how well the filtermag work(will post pictures) and how much metal it actually collected.

· Registered
306 Posts
welcome to the forum, as far as fuel filters go pick up a baldwin pf7977 it is the best drop in filter for your truck as many others will tell you filters down to 5 microns and 2 nominal. just google them and you will find a place to buy them from close to you.:thumbsup:

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some scumsuckin vermin stole my truck!

Two freakin months I had it! I hope that ******* dies in the gutter. Black 05 4x4

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.