Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got rid of that horrific stock lift pump and put in a raptor today. Install was fairly basic except for getting the old fuel line undone from the tank fitting, to put the new one on.

After the install was all done it took quite a while to get the fuel system primed. (changed fuel filter as well) I probably ran the pump 4 or 5 times before attempting to crank over the engine and then I cranked for quite a few times before it would start. I hope I didn't do any damage to the VP??

Anyway I'm pretty happy with my fuel pressure now. My stock lp was usually around 11 or 12 psi idling and normal driving it would drop down to 7 psi and hammering on it would drop it down to 2 psi. I got the Raptor idling at around 16-17 psi and on level 5 hammering on it it drops down to around 11 psi or so, but never below 10psi.

Are these new pressure numbers ok? Or should I turn it up higher?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
thats good presure. you want nothing below 7-8

my raptor 100 is on oreder now.

8 psi at idle
5 driving
neg #'s at wot.:lol3:

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
thats good presure. you want nothing below 7-8

my raptor 100 is on oreder now.

8 psi at idle
5 driving
neg #'s at wot.:lol3:
Wrong...

MINIMUM PRESSURE IS 10 PSI...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I am thinking of going with a raptor over a airdog so I don't have filter hanging under the truck. Why did you go with a raptor over a airdog?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I finally got rid of that horrific stock lift pump and put in a raptor today. Install was fairly basic except for getting the old fuel line undone from the tank fitting, to put the new one on.

After the install was all done it took quite a while to get the fuel system primed. (changed fuel filter as well) I probably ran the pump 4 or 5 times before attempting to crank over the engine and then I cranked for quite a few times before it would start. I hope I didn't do any damage to the VP??

Anyway I'm pretty happy with my fuel pressure now. My stock lp was usually around 11 or 12 psi idling and normal driving it would drop down to 7 psi and hammering on it would drop it down to 2 psi. I got the Raptor idling at around 16-17 psi and on level 5 hammering on it it drops down to around 11 psi or so, but never below 10psi.

Are these new pressure numbers ok? Or should I turn it up higher?
I put mine in last weekend and I'm getting exactly the same numbers as you at same power settings.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking of going with a raptor over a airdog so I don't have filter hanging under the truck. Why did you go with a raptor over a airdog?

I went with the raptor for mostly price reasons. I'm not doing any huge mods, and didn't need anything more. I think this pump can't be beat for the money and lifetime warranty.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,292 Posts
im not wrong. even at 5 psi the rotor still gets cooling and there is return fuel.

anything below 5 and you start to loose performance.

HOW TO DIAGNOSE A LIFT PUMP

5th paragraph down.:thumbsup

and i choose the raptor becuase there is no need for a return line, easy to hook up, priced well.
The 5 PSI limit will for sure wipe out a VP44... I don't trust it... I lost my first VP44 at 8-9 PSI a WOT. It was barely passing and failing the volume test by Cummins/Dodge Standards... So I know the 5 PSI will kill a VP44...

Volume testing... (Copied from the TSB Dodge put out... TSB 14-002-03 Diesel Transfer Pump Diagnosis)
Lift Pump Diagnostics

The fuel specs comes straight out of the DODGE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL 2001 Dodge Cummins fuel system... It clear shows 10 PSI is Minimum pressure...

If you want to chance that your pump in your hands... Not going to be mine...:w:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts