Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Got my Goerend torque converter today

4937 Views 30 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  chrleb1
I bought the 10 blade 2 disk TC. It got installed this morning by Richard over at Browns diesel. I highly recommend him.:thumbsup:

The new torque converter rocks!:party018: It totally improves the trucks response. When you give it gas it goes. It is so positive you don't even notice lockup. With the crappy stock TC lockup felt like another gear since rpm would drop 300-400 rpm. Now I'm not turning power into heat.

It is without a doubt one of the best changes I have made to the truck. If you are making over stock power you need an upgraded torque converter.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$1000. + install fluids etc. There really is no shift kit or valve body for the 68RFE yet. That is kinda the holy grail that everyone is trying to work out for these transmissions.

· Diesel Jedi
246 Posts
i asked about that too already and Erick at Brown's Diesel said that it wasn't really necessary cause " the pressure's were already high enough ". I had the triple disc installed and thought I would take care of the valve body also. He advised it wasn't necessary.

· Registered
1,054 Posts
$1000. + install fluids etc. There really is no shift kit or valve body for the 68RFE yet. That is kinda the holy grail that everyone is trying to work out for these transmissions.
There are a couple companys making a valve bodies, IIRC.

· Registered
229 Posts
I bought the 10 blade 2 disk TC. It got installed this morning by Richard over at Browns diesel. I highly recommend him.:thumbsup:

The new torque converter rocks!:party018: It totally improves the trucks response. When you give it gas it goes. It is so positive you don't even notice lockup. With the crappy stock TC lockup felt like another gear since rpm would drop 300-400 rpm. Now I'm not turning power into heat.

Very cool man, glad to read this. How much did your temps change? How much power is the 2disc rated for? What made you go with 2 vs. 3? With the new TC, where is the weak point now? Shafts? Pump? TCM?

· Premium Member
255 Posts
I would love to get a converter. It is the biggest complaint I have with my truck. The sloppy shifts and hesitation prior to lock up keeps me from laying into the skinny pedal with confidence!!:banghead::banghead:

· Registered
2,024 Posts
where is the weak point now? Shafts? Pump? TCM?
Everyone says something different. I've read there isn't enough line pressure and from others there is plenty. I've read the clutch packs can't be beefed up. Other people have said they can. I've read the shafts are good to 600 HP. Others say 700 HP.

I've read of some doing 10 psi boosted launches at the track and being fine. While others go through torque converters (and transmissions) like crazy.

So who really knows.

It'd be great if someone from ATS, Goerend, or Suncoast would come on here and state EXACTLY where the failures are and what THEY are doing to correct it.

Maybe the transmission manufacturers aren't as internet savvy as the programmer guys? Seems like everyday I'm seeing companies like H&S and Smarty posting on here. Yet, in belonging to this forum for almost a year, I've read NO post from a transmission manufacturer telling us what THEY are doing to offer a good product.

Too bad H&S doesn't build transmissions - it'd be great for a company like that, with great customer service and communication - to jump into the game (hint, hint lol).

· Registered
586 Posts
when i got my suncoast converter i was gunna have him do the valve body and he said that you can really its all computer controled.but i had him raise the line pressure as much as he could so i could get harder shifts, when it shifts i want to feel it go into gear. i hated how the stock tranny would just sloppy and you could not feel the gear shifts.

· Registered
82 Posts
What is a good price to have the TQ installed by a shop?

· Registered
242 Posts
I am on the fence right now on this upgrade. My main concern is as soon as I get power to the tranny I will be rebuilding it soon after. :confused013:

· Premium Member
919 Posts
The tranny makes about 160 psi of line pressure and it does it quickly. If you try to up the pressure, the computer will just bring it back down. The overdrive clutch packs are just too small. These are the gears you are going to have the max load in when you are playing around.

As for the dual disc against the triple disc, the dual has some more room for dampening. The triple rattles a little bit right now. Dave is working on that. You can get the dual disc cheaper, but that would mean it wouldn't be as low of a stall in it. The 10 blade that Dave offers it more expensive because of the cost of the stator, but it is totally worth it on the 68rfe. These motors naturally produce more torque as compared to the 5.9L. More torque means lower stall to make it feel right. If you put the same stall into a 5.9 and a 6.7 and they were making the same hp, the 6.7 would feel like a looser stall.

Since all of the pressure is controlled by the computer, it would be nice if the Marco could effect the trans pressure limit. I know the guy is crazy busy, but it will help these 68s live longer. Another thing that could be done is to find the right resistor for the electrical to make the computer think the pressure isn't high enough.

· Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
on my truck (with daves transmission installed) a valve body assistant was provided with the install. It is essentially a voltage clipper for changing the pressure signal to the compy. This the pressure circuit internal to transmission here, or could something similar be done on this one?

· Registered
2,024 Posts
The tranny makes about 160 psi of line pressure and it does it quickly. If you try to up the pressure, the computer will just bring it back down. The overdrive clutch packs are just too small. These are the gears you are going to have the max load in when you are playing around.

As for the dual disc against the triple disc, the dual has some more room for dampening. The triple rattles a little bit right now. Dave is working on that. You can get the dual disc cheaper, but that would mean it wouldn't be as low of a stall in it. The 10 blade that Dave offers it more expensive because of the cost of the stator, but it is totally worth it on the 68rfe. These motors naturally produce more torque as compared to the 5.9L. More torque means lower stall to make it feel right. If you put the same stall into a 5.9 and a 6.7 and they were making the same hp, the 6.7 would feel like a looser stall.

Since all of the pressure is controlled by the computer, it would be nice if the Marco could effect the trans pressure limit. I know the guy is crazy busy, but it will help these 68s live longer. Another thing that could be done is to find the right resistor for the electrical to make the computer think the pressure isn't high enough.
Good info. My question now becomes, is the 68RFE even worth trying to modify? If the line pressure is increased, can someone with 500 rwhp do a 15-20 PSI boosted launch - similar to what the Ford Torqueflite and Allisons can do (up to a certain HP of course)?

That's why I'm so hesitant to jump on the ATS 68RFE transmission. Without being able to control it electronically, it sounds like a waste of money.

Is the only hope to do a 48RE swap and deal with all the headaches of making it work with the 6.7 ECM?

· Registered
2,881 Posts
Good info. My question now becomes, is the 68RFE even worth trying to modify? If the line pressure is increased, can someone with 500 rwhp do a 15-20 PSI boosted launch - similar to what the Ford Torqueflite and Allisons can do (up to a certain HP of course)?

That's why I'm so hesitant to jump on the ATS 68RFE transmission. Without being able to control it electronically, it sounds like a waste of money.

Is the only hope to do a 48RE swap and deal with all the headaches of making it work with the 6.7 ECM?
Isn't Torqueflight a Chrysler trademark name for their transmissions or did Ford purchase the rights to use the name?

I would say that the 68RFE is worth modifying. Stock for stock they seem to be out performing the Allison when boosting the performance of the engines.

· Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Isn't Torqueflight a Chrysler trademark name for their transmissions or did Ford purchase the rights to use the name?

I would say that the 68RFE is worth modifying. Stock for stock they seem to be out performing the Allison when boosting the performance of the engines.
I agree, I think the 68 is worth modding. Products will come out, its just a matter of time. So we all might as well start saving up. :w:

· Unreconstructed
24,962 Posts
Yeah, but I think they are saying that, as long as these trucks have been out...and as many engine performance things have become available, you would've thought that by now someone would've perfected the 68RFE...

That's my thoughts...

And don't say that ATS has...I refuse to buy their products, so they don't count, IMO.

Tell me when Goerend, Suncoast, Jasper, or somebody like that has one out that will handle up to 1,000 RWHP...That's when I'll be happy.

· Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Yeah, but I think they are saying that, as long as these trucks have been out...and as many engine performance things have become available, you would've thought that by now someone would've perfected the 68RFE...

That's my thoughts...

And don't say that ATS has...I refuse to buy their products, so they don't count, IMO.

Tell me when Goerend, Suncoast, Jasper, or somebody like that has one out that will handle up to 1,000 RWHP...That's when I'll be happy.
yeah I'm pretty set on going with Goerend or NADP for trans products.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.