Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Got my first diesel, what do ya suggest?

1352 Views 23 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  5.9Toy
Got an 04 today and not sure what to do for mods. It has a K&N intake and a Banks exhaust. Not really sure what else may be lurking on there. I don't think anything else is there, but I don't really know what I'm looking at either. I plan to have a buddy look it over tomorrow and see what he says. He's had a few Dodges and other diesel trucks.

I think I'd like to have at least a trans temp and egt gauge at some point. Maybe a tuner to help with some power increase and mileage also.

I don't tow more than a few times a month and it's a 18' steel car trailer and usually just my 89 Jeep YJ.

What are some suggestions for gauges and tuners? I'm on a budget since work has been slower than normal and I already have a Harley payment and the Jeep is in the middle of a V8 swap.

Here is what I tow. Sold the Silverado to get my Dodge

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
515 Posts
first off welcome to the crew and good swap... first things first, get rid of the k&n, then u already got an exhaust so gauges would be next, dipricol or isspro are really good and there are cheaper ones but you get what you pay for, as the old saying goes.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is a good intake? The K&N drop in filter in my Chevy caused a burned up MAF sensor cause I guess I over oiled it at some point.

It will be a hard sell to my wife to change out the intake when it's got an aftermarket one already.

· Registered
1,543 Posts
^^What he said^^

Get an Amsoil or AFE Proguard 7 filter.

Before you get any mods you need to find out a few things

Is it an 04 or 04.5?

Look on the driver's side of the valve cover and see if it says 305hp or 325hp?

Gauges are always one of the best things to start with. EGT, Boost, Trans Temp and fuel pressure.

Also, take a look and see if its got the in tank or fuel filter canister mounted lift pump.

The Smarty is a great programmer that you can't go wrong with it.

Tranny mods are important too. Goerend, Suncoast, DTT and HTS are all good.

Also, I really like that Atlantic Blue, looks great.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^What he said^^

Get an Amsoil or AFE Proguard 7 filter.

Before you get any mods you need to find out a few things

Is it an 04 or 04.5?

Look on the driver's side of the valve cover and see if it says 305hp or 325hp?

Gauges are always one of the best things to start with. EGT, Boost, Trans Temp and fuel pressure.

Also, take a look and see if its got the in tank or fuel filter canister mounted lift pump.

The Smarty is a great programmer that you can't go wrong with it.

Tranny mods are important too. Goerend, Suncoast, DTT and HTS are all good.

Also, I really like that Atlantic Blue, looks great.

Thanks, that kind of gives me a list to work off of for ideas and things to check.

Now if I knew anything about a lift pump I could check into that. Have some research to do.

I foresee many hours of internet usage to come

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is a 305 engine. The pump is up front too. Got a few minutes to mess with the truck tonight. The fuel filter cap was leaking a little so my buddy schooled me on doing a filter change tonight. Learned a few things.

Had a chance to drive it all over the metro today. Didn't mind rush hour drive from Richardson all the way to Weatherford since I was in my truck.

· Registered
2,438 Posts
welcome to the forum bro,,,,,alot good info on here,,and we have all been newbies before,,,,,just try to do a search on questions first,,,,cause there are plenty of threads on here,,,and duplicates as well,,,,,,,so enjoy bro............oh BTW get rid of that damn oil filter

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The K&N will be gone as soon as I can afford it. Need to concentrate on doing fluid changes and making sure she is road worthy. Did the fuel filter change and hopefully fixed that fuel leak for good. Now it's time for oil change and then to consider a tranny fluid and filter change. I drive a lot of miles, so have to know that she is ready for it. Then I can make mods.

· A Couple Diesels
3,149 Posts
spend the $50 and get a good air filter!!!!!!!!!!!!

amsoils or Afe pro guard.......... the K& N can and will kill the motor (DONT WAIT)

since you have some time- search on the used/for sale sections -you can save alot of money -

smarty/ guages/ some trans work

How many miles on truck?

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guess I just need to pull the K&N and get some measurements from it. Maybe after payday I can order one.

Truck has around 125k

· Registered
959 Posts
Ya and if you do that smarty you will get a few miles outa that stock lift pump and then a rapter or airdog is very cheap :thumbsup:

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems I need to learn what Raptor and Air Dog is now

I'll look around at the afe site

Thanks

· Registered
223 Posts
Check tie rods, steering stabilizer, trac bar and DEFINITELY check upper and lower ball joints. These seem to be a weak point on these trucks. If the ball joints are shot, which I wouldn't be surprised, replace with Moog, Napa or better Carli Suspension ball joints, as these are greasable and will last much longer.

· Admin/Mod
10,685 Posts
spend the $50 and get a good air filter!!!!!!!!!!!!

amsoils or Afe pro guard.......... the K& N can and will kill the motor (DONT WAIT)

since you have some time- search on the used/for sale sections -you can save alot of money -

smarty/ guages/ some trans work

How many miles on truck?
You really can't say the filter will kill an engine, its the way people maintain them the can hurt the engine...

lots of people have many years and 100s of thousands of miles with them and absolutely no problems.

· Registered
631 Posts
The K&N will be gone as soon as I can afford it. Need to concentrate on doing fluid changes and making sure she is road worthy. Did the fuel filter change and hopefully fixed that fuel leak for good. Now it's time for oil change and then to consider a tranny fluid and filter change. I drive a lot of miles, so have to know that she is ready for it. Then I can make mods.
Dont change the tranny fluid unless you know it was changed on a basis of about 20k miles a change it will kill an auto tranny trust me i know...i went 120k miles before i decided to change mine and now im waiting to get 5,500 dollars for a billet transmission. Transmission fluid breaks down after so many miles and your clutches start grabbing onto the broke down fluid so when you change the fluid the clutches dont have anything to grab to so they burn up...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.