Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read from many that bought the 4040xl that it easily swapped out with the stock muffler. I crawled under my truck and was attempting to remove the muffler/pipe clamps when I decided to see how that 4040xl would fit. It is 26" long from tip to tip, but my stock muffler is much longer, so I am short on pipe. It won't just swap out. I guess I'll have to go buy some 4" pipe to make it fit.

Any advice on installing this muffler is greatly appreciated, especially if installed on a Megacab (if different than a quad or standard cab). For example, the exit part on the muffler is straight, but my pipe curls up over the rear axle, so do I need to bend up the exit extension on the 4040xl?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I've read from many that bought the 4040xl that it easily swapped out with the stock muffler. I crawled under my truck and was attempting to remove the muffler/pipe clamps when I decided to see how that 4040xl would fit. It is 26" long from tip to tip, but my stock muffler is much longer, so I am short on pipe. It won't just swap out. I guess I'll have to go buy some 4" pipe to make it fit.

Any advice on installing this muffler is greatly appreciated, especially if installed on a Megacab (if different than a quad or standard cab). For example, the exit part on the muffler is straight, but my pipe curls up over the rear axle, so do I need to bend up the exit extension on the 4040xl?

Thanks
It won't hurt anything or change anything if you relocate the muffler to a different location. The best thing for you to do if you're ok with it is..... remove the cat, buy a 4" turbo down pipe, install the muffler at the end of the down pipe and cut the oem pipe after the muffler to length.

Removing the cat will drop your EGT's by at least 100F and the truck will breath much better.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It won't hurt anything or change anything if you relocate the muffler to a different location. The best thing for you to do if you're ok with it is..... remove the cat, buy a 4" turbo down pipe, install the muffler at the end of the down pipe and cut the oem pipe after the muffler to length.

Removing the cat will drop your EGT's by at least 100F and the truck will breath much better.
I don't know if it is illegal here in PA to remove the cat, but I wasn't planning on it because I read that it made it louder and had drone in the cab. I was just planning on replacing the stock muffler. I think I am going have to get about a 2 foot piece of pipe. I'm hoping the place I bought the 4" straps today has 4" pipe. Got to call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
you're likely ok since diesels don't have to go through emissions. PA doesn't have many strict laws like other states do anyway. It won't be any louder without the cat. You still have the resonator on the back which is there to reduce the noise. Other that what I mentioned, you'll need to do what your planning to get it installed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you're likely ok since diesels don't have to go through emissions. PA doesn't have many strict laws like other states do anyway. It won't be any louder without the cat. You still have the resonator on the back which is there to reduce the noise. Other that what I mentioned, you'll need to do what your planning to get it installed.
Thanks again. Maybe I will call an inspection station and ask them about the cat. If they don't inspect for it, I may just remove it.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I can probably tell you right now they'll say.... NO WAY, you can't remove that. It is a federal law ( EPA ) that they're on there. The truck can really benefit from it not being there though. That's all up to you.

There is also a pipe you can't get to deal with the offset which is called a test pipe. It's about 4ft long with a 45* offset in it. MBRP sells one that I know of.

good luck !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can probably tell you right now they'll say.... NO WAY, you can't remove that. It is a federal law ( EPA ) that they're on there. The truck can really benefit from it not being there though. That's all up to you.

There is also a pipe you can't get to deal with the offset which is called a test pipe. It's about 4ft long with a 45* offset in it. MBRP sells one that I know of.

good luck !
MBRP??? I saw an offset pipe somewhere before for sale, but the muffler is not offset. Would this pipe still work and would I have to adjust the current pipes under the truck to use the offset?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was able to install mine with out the offsett pipe. Which you can find if you google Parsleys Diesel. (If I rember right) . If you want some pics I can send them to you. I still have my cat and my 4040xl is in the stock location.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts