Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I wasn't really shopping for another truck but my father called me and told me he knew where there was a heck of a deal on a 01 cummins so of course I had to go look and ended up bringin er home. I'm not a fan of auto but heck like I say the deal was so good I couldnt pass. The truck has 217,xxx on it and is tight as heck. I have quite a few plans for this truck and it may turn into my dayly driver. Also I have a question, I'm sure there is a post on this somewhere but I'ma go ahead and ask. The steering is a little odd. When I turn it it feels like something is tight :confused013: once I turn the wheel I have to kinda pull it back to center??? Anyone know what could be causing this? Anyway here she is.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Looks good, really digging that color.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I'm kinda fond of it. I'ma black it out I think.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Cool color, looks pretty clean. Put some more aggressive tires under there and then it will really come alive and as for your steering problem maybe the power steering is going out, it’s what it sounds like to me or it could be a lot of other things too. Not real sure what you mean when you say "something is tight."

·
Substation Operator
1,152 Posts
first start with flushing the power steering system,

Nice looking truck

·
Registered
643 Posts
There is a set screw on top of the steering box. I adjusted this on mine because it was loose. Its a hex with a nut around it. Loosen up the nut and loosen the hex if you want it to come back easier. Maybe like a quarter of a turn.

Reactions: Haulin4aLivin

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha sorry for not explaining it better but its hard to explain. As in tight I mean when I turn and try and pull it back it feels like the stablizer is seizing or something. I will def try that thanks botlebruiser.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i like the color of the truck. there is a farmer down the road from me that has a 01 single cab in that color his is auto to.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
if some one messed with the overcenter adjustment then what you explain can be the result.
the bearing preload is done first, then the overcenter second,
here is a link to show how its done on a bench, can be done in the truck easily, just by removing coupling from box, then backing off lock ring, spin adjustment nut in until snug, this will usually cure most "loose" steering box issues. reassemble parts then do the overcenter adj if required.
In your case if everything else is good. I'd back off the overcenter, and re-road test, if steering returns to center when exiting a turn, I'd say someone mucked with it, and had no idea what they were doing, so they cranked the overcenter adjustment too tight while trying to correct a sloppy steering box.
another point to note , wheels must be in straight ahead posn, prior to adjusting overcenter nut.

also pay very close attention to the trackbar, as it might be shot as well, again causing issues that someone else tried to mask while messing with the box

Ram Steering Gear Adjustments

heres a link chock full of helpful stuff with reguards to steering issues
Ram Steering Problems

·
Registered
251 Posts
:agree2: Sounds like someone messed with the steering box adjustment. Check nickg's link.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Nice looking clean, and straight truck.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments guys :thumbsup: I've been drivin the truck all day and I'm very pleased! Think she's gonna be a dang good truck :party018:

·
2001 Cummins
341 Posts
Welcome back to the 2nd Gen world. Cool color on that 01 and sounds like you got a nice one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts