Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Got me a RARE toy 98 Quad Cab Dually 12 VALVE, Have QUESTIONS?

7850 Views 44 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  flubyux2
I just bought a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 quad cab dually with the 12 VALVE Cummins engine and 5 speed tanny, 250-k miles. Has 02 model tow mirrors, simulator and everything is color matched. (white, looks sharp)

I am new to the 2nd gen 12V's and have a couple of questions.
1) Truck seems to run good, but did notice going into 3rd gear I can get it to blow out smoke sometimes (black or dark gray) really does not do it in any other gear. Will black smoke setting and stepping on the go pedal. How can I find out if the previous owners adjusted anyting or did the fuel plate?

2) I get a scratch or grind in the transmission going into 3rd gear, unless I stay in a LOW rpm range. Is there any easy fix or patch job that I can do until I get funds for a rebuild or upgrade?

I bought this from a local bank and know nothing about it other than what I am finding.
Is there anything I need to check for or check out other than the KDP?
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
9,910 Posts
you will know if the pump has been tampered with if the tamper proof screw on the AFC is beat up or remove/replaced/broke.

As for the 3rd gear grind, sounds like ther syncro is goin out. only 'patch' is to learn to drive it 'right' (matching rpms, where the syncro doesnt do anything) and double clutching. my truck has nearly 500k on it now and the 2/3 syncros are starting to get finiky, especially when its cold. floating or double clutching and it will drop right into any gear no problem.

i will advise against floating it untill you get alot of hours behind it and can actually float it properly or you WILL tear out whats left of the syncros very fast

· Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Not to sound liek a smart A$$, but what is rare about this truck? I had the exact truck and I know of atleast 4 more in my imediate area...What am I missing?

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you will know if the pump has been tampered with if the tamper proof screw on the AFC is beat up or remove/replaced/broke.

As for the 3rd gear grind, sounds like ther syncro is goin out. only 'patch' is to learn to drive it 'right' (matching rpms, where the syncro doesnt do anything) and double clutching. my truck has nearly 500k on it now and the 2/3 syncros are starting to get finiky, especially when its cold. floating or double clutching and it will drop right into any gear no problem.

i will advise against floating it untill you get alot of hours behind it and can actually float it properly or you WILL tear out whats left of the syncros very fast
Ok, AFC screws? tell me where to look.

Tried to double clutch, still grinds will only float at a really LOW rpm range.

I did notice there is some oil or something oily around the lower intercooler boots, frame rail and stuff on the turbo side. Is there something on that side I need to check out?

· Registered
9,910 Posts
Exactly, they are 'rare' in the fact that you have the old 12v engine in the newer 4door body style. Not really a huge specialty, but they are kind of oddball.

The AFC is the big ol contraption ontop of the rear of the injection pump. it has 4 screws holding it down. one of them, from the factory is a tamper proof screw which has a round mushroom head on it that cannot be taken out easily.

Reactions: nostroker

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not to sound liek a smart A$$, but what is rare about this truck? I had the exact truck and I know of atleast 4 more in my imediate area...What am I missing?
Do some research and you will find that in 1998 MOST 12 VALVE trucks was club cab (2 doors) not quad cabs! And the other quad cabs in 1998 was 24 valve engines!

Also, from what I have seen in and around your location those trucks are 24 valve trucks and a couple of them are 1999 models..........

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about the "starwheel" everyone talks about, would that have anything to do with the smoke?

· Registered
9,910 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can you post pics of this baby you do say it looks sharp lol
Will post on Monday! The only thing I don't like is the front bumper.... Some tpe of Ranch hand looking bumper, but its painted too.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked the AFC today in the light and found that someone has been into it. Has the one screw gone and the other three has been out before along with the 8mm alan wrench deal on the top. So my guess is someone did some adjustments on this truck.

Also check the exhaust system and it has been changed to 4" from the turbo back, well whatever the turbo is then flair out to 4" about 3" down from the turbo.

Guess that's why I have a little smoke and good go!

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any ideas on the oil or oily spots on the passenger side? Does not leak in my driveway, just oily crap covering everything. Also found some other oily stuff around the brake booster, but they have added some type of vaccum or hydro. trailer brake deal too....

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a couple of pitures I got today. Truck is dirty right now, but does have clear LED lights in the fenders and tailgate.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
You lucky sob. That's exactly what I'm looking for! I'm on a dually kick lately and I need 4 doors. Well I'm looking for your truck in 4wd, is that what you got or is it a 2wd?

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You lucky sob. That's exactly what I'm looking for! I'm on a dually kick lately and I need 4 doors. Well I'm looking for your truck in 4wd, is that what you got or is it a 2wd?
Mine is 2WD.... 4WD is hard to find around here even in the newer trucks.

I am sending it to the detail shop today and having the outter edge of the tail light painted white to match also.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
Well good find none the less! How good of a price did you get, if you don't mind me askin b

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.