Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
talked with one of my friends today and he told me he had a 24 valve block for me today. said he would take $200 for it with all the internals due to too many engines in the machine shop. i have a 2000 4x4 and was wanting to build it from the crank up and was wondering what would be some good ideas if i was wanting to still drive and tow with it. i want to get as much as i can out of it but still drive it hard. i was thinking injectors, turbo, fuel system, etc. i know there are some of you that have built engines and i would like to learn more about it.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I would have the engine ringed, the head o-ringed, turbo, injectors, fuel system...hell its endless really. Take your time with it and built it right, Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Put a good max spool cam in it, and get as much head work done to the head as you can... Air in air out with allot of fuel...

·
Premium Member
18,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have heard about o rings do i have to send this off or can i do it my self. what cam would be good? to anserw that wouldn't i have to know the turbo and injector size?

·
Registered
78 Posts
make sure it's not a 53 block--- 53 is stamped below the VP--you won't miss it as it's pretty large numbers---

if you have the tool you can oring it yourself--

for your power level the cam isn't tied to the injectors and turbo so much---if you want to fly cut pistons then you have more cam options to look at---

chris

·
Registered
96 Posts
they crack on the turbo side of the motor just below the head they had a bad casting that year.ya if you got a 53 i wouldn't build it cuz if it does crack you have to tear it apart and do it all over again:thumbsup

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just got a '96 shortblock last year for 250 bucks, definatly worth it although the crank is junk, tore up a bearing on the #6, lost oil.

Turns out, the block is an IH block, so it should be heavier, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts