Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here, the truck is a 2005 2500, 4 door 4x4,auto. while cruising between 60 and 70 mph there is a constant vibration and sort of a howel its not the tires or the bearings in the rear end because i already replace them all. Can anyone help me out here, please...

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
is the vibration a consistent or on/off/on.. viberation? because i have the same thing going on with my truck between 45-50ish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we removed the front driveshaft it still does it, we jacked the rear of the truck up in the air it still does it. you figure its the universal..........

·
Registered
22 Posts
With the introduction of the hydro-formed frame in 2003 a new "problem" developed. The old C-channel/I beam frames tended to dampen noise and vibrations. The new hydro-formed frames tend to amplify noise and vibrations and transmit them throughout the body. The Cummins has a couple of resonant points, like any rotating machinery, and can create this problem. The engine, along with several other components, can transmit various vibrations to the frame. The one that most people complain about is around 70-75 MPH (2000-2100 RPM).
In 2004 I wrote an article in TDR about these vibrations and the various solutions we had discovered over time. I want to emphasize that there is no one solution. Each truck is different. Below is a breakout of what we've found at Carson Dodge so far:

Component at Fault - Frequency (on a scale of 1-10)

Transmission: Add rubber between transmission mount and cross-member. - 9

Rear driveshaft: bent, misaligned U-joints, incorrect pinion angle, out of balance, sloppy center carrier bearing. - 9

Front exhaust hanger: bend, cutoff, or replace all. - 8

Tires: balance, out of round, and tread design. - 7

Skid plate: remove. - 3

Power steering hoses: install updated version, TSB 19-008-03. - 4

Front driveshaft: bent, out of balance. - 2

Transmission dipstick tube: tube vibrating against heater hose. - 2

Loosen engine/transmission mounts: either drive a short distance or jack up engine/transmission and allow to "settle", then re-tighten. - 2

As you can see, each vehicle responds to a different approach. It's strictly trial and error. The solutions, assuming there aren't defective components, revolve around isolating the engine, transmission, driveshaft, etc. from the frame.
The most frequent complaints come from 4X4, automatic, QC, LWB trucks. The number of trucks impacted with this "quirk" has gone down steadily since 2004, although we occasionally still get the complaint.
Currently the only thing Dodge will pay for is to check the driveshaft with an inclinometer to determine if the angle is within spec (+- .5 degrees).

Came from Carson Dodge Info Site...

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
drop your driveshaft at the back and move the joints around, you will know quick enough if there bad. If one is bad I would change em all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's the u-joints.I'd even look at the weights on my rims or the weights on the driveshaft maybe

·
Registered
167 Posts
Drop the rear shaft, if you find one tight replace them all and have the shaft rebalanced:beer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts