Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i got a 1999 cummins 5 speed. what happens is.... when i am driving all of a sudden it will like die to an idle or maybe a lil bit more but i have the petal to the floor and have no response. it smokes n sputters a little bit and i also notice the radio dies down a little bit. so i flip the key off and then on again, after that no smoke and full throttle response. i really dont know what the heck it goin on. can you please give me some suggestions. this happens daily all the time when i am driving the truck..also maybe this would help..when i puch in the clutch let it gain rpm it slowly sputters up to speed and then all of a sudden boom full power again. what could this be?:CRY:

arite. i scanned for codes and i got a 0216. INJ. pump timing failure!! eek is it the crankshaft pos. sensor???????

thanks..

kyle

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Might fill your sig out so we know more about your truck. I would guess..

1) Your lift pump is probably bad. Regardless, you need to get the fuel pressure checked and get a gauge on it if you don't have one. Should have a minimum of 10 PSI at WOT.

2) Pull your engine codes. Very good chance you have an 0216 code, better known as the VP44 death code. The "dead pedal" and white smoke are pretty certain signs the VP44 is failing.

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
Im not sure but maybe your Throttle position sensor is goin bad hope someone knows this answere for you though :thumbsup

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
or like dad said vp44 that would make sense to.. you got any mods done to this thing?

·
It's got 12 Valves...
4,472 Posts
i got a 1999 cummins 5 speed. what happens is.... when i am driving all of a sudden it will like die to an idle or maybe a lil bit more but i have the petal to the floor and have no response. it smokes n sputters a little bit and i also notice the radio dies down a little bit. so i flip the key off and then on again, after that no smoke and full throttle response. i really dont know what the heck it goin on. can you please give me some suggestions. this happens daily all the time when i am driving the truck..

thanks..

kyle

First of all :welcome:

Next I would say you need to check for codes..I believe you can in your 99. Turn the key on, then off, on then off and then on (so three times but do not start the truck, just turn the key over) and on the last time leave it on. It should show come up with some codes. Let us know and we can do better from there.

But just hearing your diagnosing and the problems that you are having I would say it is your VP-44. 98.5-02 24V Cummins have the VP-44 and if it is still stock on your truck and has been starved for fuel it could be bad. Not to say that is definitely the problem could be bad APPS, or a problem with your lift pump (clogged and not getting proper fuel flow).

Fill out your signature and let us know more about your truck and we can help better. Like what year, model, mods you have..etc. Thanks :thumbsup

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might fill your sig out so we know more about your truck. I would guess..

1) Your lift pump is probably bad. Regardless, you need to get the fuel pressure checked and get a gauge on it if you don't have one. Should have a minimum of 10 PSI at WOT.

2) Pull your engine codes. Very good chance you have an 0216 code, better known as the VP44 death code. The "dead pedal" and white smoke are pretty certain signs the VP44 is failing.
yes i got white smoke. and it dont have full power right away. it smaokes for a while, then after its all warm then it works fine. im new to the cummins world so the vp44 is the injection pump right.

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
just to let you know I cant check codes like that I believe it started in 01
First of all :welcome:

Next I would say you need to check for codes..I believe you can in your 99. Turn the key on, then off, on then off and then on (so three times but do not start the truck, just turn the key over) and on the last time leave it on. It should show come up with some codes. Let us know and we can do better from there.

But just hearing your diagnosing and the problems that you are having I would say it is your VP-44. 98.5-02 24V Cummins have the VP-44 and if it is still stock on your truck and has been starved for fuel it could be bad. Not to say that is definitely the problem could be bad APPS, or a problem with your lift pump (clogged and not getting proper fuel flow).

Fill out your signature and let us know more about your truck and we can help better. Like what year, model, mods you have..etc. Thanks :thumbsup

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
yes it is :thumbsup:thumbsup
yes i got white smoke. and it dont have full power right away. it smaokes for a while, then after its all warm then it works fine. im new to the cummins world so the vp44 is the injection pump right.

·
Past IL VP
1,430 Posts
the "key trick" started in '00! and I would also agree w/ the others. is sounds as though the VP is on it's way to the grave!

do you notice that it cuts out more when the truck is hot? or does it do this when it's cool as well? if it does it mainly when it's hot, then it's a 90% chance that the VP is toast!

keep us posted on your findings!

where are you located?
OH and :welcome:

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
the "key trick" started in '00! and I would also agree w/ the others. is sounds as though the VP is on it's way to the grave!

do you notice that it cuts out more when the truck is hot? or does it do this when it's cool as well? if it does it mainly when it's hot, then it's a 90% chance that the VP is toast!

where are you located?
Actually the key trick started in 1994, on one of my trucks, and maybe sooner. But I know I can get codes on my 94 and 98 12V.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

where are you located?
it actually does it more when its cold. but it still smaokes and sputters real bad. when first ran for awhile. the key trick for everybody....what was wrong. and what dod u do...the vp? i do do get a new one is there anything elsi i should get too lift pump? its origional....214000k..yea. but anywyas any other suggestions to what maight be bad cuz it relly sounds eletrical to me...but if the vp is bad. does the key trick just reset the pump or wat>?

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and im from wisconsin...

·
Registered
181 Posts
duernkyl , I would sugest finding someone with a code reader. Once you find out whether or not you have any codes let us know the code. It could be electrical just as well as it could be your VP44 injection pump (VP/ IP). Most of the time you will throw a code for just about anything. However the key thing does not work unfortinatley for us 99 boys. If you can post the codes someone will know what it is. I have had a similar prob in the past the tachometer would drop off anytime it went past 2000 rpm which caused the truck to defuel horibly, the head lights would dim and brighten, and the cluster would do the same. I had lack of power and once I lifted my foot it would eventually pickup again. - This was all becasue of my crankcase position sensor above the starter. If it is the stock lift pump (LP) and stock VP it has probabably already starved to death if not get a pusher pump. Good luck!!

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
I was think charging system too... If the batteries are weak the ECM, PCM, and VP44 can do some really weird things. So check your batteries, cables and connections, alternator...

But also check Crank sensor too since it controls the alternator too.

But then check you fuel system out too...
Lift Pump Diagnostics

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
where is the crank sensor?

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not sure but maybe your Throttle position sensor is goin bad hope someone knows this answere for you though :thumbsup
someone told me that the tps was only on auto tranns. thats what i thought it was until someone told me that...so are there tps on maunual tranny's?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
someone told me that the tps was only on auto tranns. thats what i thought it was until someone told me that...so are there tps on maunual tranny's?
APPS = Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

TPS (Gasser) = APPS (Cummins Diesel) they are both the same thing...

Auto and Manual both have APPS sensors...

·
Registered
181 Posts
duernkyl, you have to remove the starter it is in the block one bolt holding the metall cover. Try this DieselTruckResource.Com - Your Source for the Dodge Ram and Cummins Turbo Diesel
and
Also some pics

The Crank position sensor on your truck is in the block, behind the starter. You have to remove the starter to get to it. It can be quite a bear to get out as they corrode and rust in the block. It's held in by 1 10mm bolt and you can try to lube the heck out of it and pry it out. Caution! - You can break the connector off when trying to pry on it. This can be bad and good. If you break the 90* connector off of it, get a dent puller slide hammer and screw that into the sensor to get it out. Take your time......it's fun sometimes! Let us know how it turns out. It probably cost around 40-60 bucks.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i got a CODE 216...inj. pump timing failure. never mind guys fuel pressure was good. im thinking that the crank position sensor bad. cuz if it was the cam position sensor it whould shut off right....let me know what u guys think please.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please Help

hi,

I have a 99 dodge 5.9 cummins diesel. It had got to where when you were running down the road, it was going fine, and all at once, it would lose power and the tach would go to 0. It would run that way awhile, then go to working right again. It got so bad, the other day that I replaced the lift pump assuming that was the problem, it didn't help, so I got a new VP 44. I installed it today, and thought the problem was fixed, it was running better than it had in a long time, then all at once, the tach went to 0 again, and the power went. What in the world is wrong with this truck?? CAn someone please help me?
thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts