Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody received a reminder for major services from the dealer stating that if you fail to bring it in by a given date it could void your warranty??? I'm not talking about the J35, just my 15k mile service. It said in the email that my truck has not been in for service for quite some time and that the 15k mile service is way overdue. It continued to mentioned that failure to perform/document this major service could result in the possible loss of factory warranty. You have by such and such date or else... :rof

To me this sounds like a threat. More or less a scare tactic to have you bring in your truck for service and pay out the arse for it. What about you all that service your own trucks, ever had to deal with anything like this??? How do they know if you have had the service done or not? No record at the dealer or with Chrysler... you are screwed. Total BS! I'm pissed about this email. :banghead:

Now, I know we are suposed to service our trucks by the recommendations in the owners manual but this seems over the top. I really want to call the service writer that sent it and give him a piece but I wanted to get your opinions first since I'm new to the Cummins world. I cant imagine this being the norm. I've never, ever received anything like this from any other dealers or manufacturers with the other trucks that I've owned.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Sounds like a load of crap. They just want your money and as for 15K service intervals. I think dodge changed some of them just try and get money from us more often. I believe they say its a 15K differential change, used to be 50K for the 5.9's.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
It continued to mentioned that failure to perform/document this major service could result in the possible loss of factory warranty.
did it say u have to take it to them or that u just have to preform and document that it was done. as DIY and save receipts

·
Registered
281 Posts
what a bunch of chit, just do it your self and tell them to stick it. I dont believe you sighned anything saying they had to so all service work did you

·
Registered
153 Posts
If it came from the dealer and not from Chrysler, I wouldn't worry about it. Chrysler warranties your truck, not your dealer.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
I would report the dealer to Chrysler.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did it say u have to take it to them or that u just have to preform and document that it was done. as DIY and save receipts
It said that it needed to be taken to an authorized Chrysler service center to have the service performed and documented.
I read it again and noticed that it said that it needed to be completed by 5/20/10. I received the email today... Oh well looks like I'm already too late...:shock:
I might as well forget taking it in for the J35 update as my warranty is toast no matter what... no J35, no documented 15k miles service, deletes/programmer. I dont feel so bad about doing the deletes now :hehe: Looks like stealerships are being encourage to keep a closer eye on our trucks by requiring services to be performed at authorized Chrysler service centers. More ways to void warranties so Chrysler doesnt have to pay for chit when/if it breaks i guess :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I received a similar letter via postal service. I don't recall the specifics, but it did state the service is due / overdue and the warranty could be voided. Do the scheduled work and keep your receipts. If you have an issue that is not mod related you should be good to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would report the dealer to Chrysler.
Yah... I think that maybe i should. I just need to research this a little more to see if the dealer is actually stating fact or if the dealer is making it sound like Chrysler is requiring this when its just their sh!tty way to scare people into paying for expensive services at the dealer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's why I don't give the stealerships my e-mail address. Don't worry, they're completely full of it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The recommended service schedules are just that. It's always a good idea to maintain your vehicle according to the manufacturer. They are the experts. They researched and built and tested these trucks. They know what is best for your' vehicle. I try to keep within the specified times / mileage for my services. I try to do them all myself to save money, and to be sure it is done carefully. If you had a failure due to a lack of upkeep, they sure would try to charge you for it. Then if you had to fight it, it would be a Royal pain. It's easier to keep to the maintenance schedule, whether you do it yourself or have someone else do it, and save your records of it, then it would be to fight Chrysler for a repair. There are independent garages that will do the work and are half the cost of the dealer. If you can find a good one they are invaluable.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
thats not the point trying to be made. its the fact that they said he had to bring it to them (dealer) to have the service done.

·
Registered
306 Posts
thats not the point trying to be made. its the fact that they said he had to bring it to them (dealer) to have the service done.
And when you bought your truck you believed every word that the salesman spoke. You paid full sticker price. You financed the extended warranty. They are in the business to make money, not give it away. Of course they lie, didn't your salesman or did you pay sticker etc.?

·
Registered
153 Posts
And when you bought your truck you believed every word that the salesman spoke. You paid full sticker price. You financed the extended warranty. They are in the business to make money, not give it away. Of course they lie, didn't your salesman or did you pay sticker etc.?
It might be one thing for a salesman to fudge and tell you "you won't get this kind of deal tomorrow" to get you to sign the papers or tell you that "this is the best we can do" to get a little more money out of you. But, trying to get someone to come in and pay for service by telling them it will void their warranty if they don't, borders on extortion in IMHO.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The salesman didn't "fudge",he lied. Not "extortion", a deceptive practice. Not a lie, a half truth. They don't care how they get your' money. They need it to stay in business.

·
Regen? What's That??
1,058 Posts
Dealers do this.. I have a friend who is the service director for a local Dodge dealer, and he told me how it all works....

Basically a dealer has to keep up its numbers of "big jobs" to "little jobs" ratio, what that means is... if there are 600 little jobs (oil changes, etc..), and 3 big jobs (trannies, etc) the numbers get all skewed and so they try to get customers to come in and perform their services with them to keep the numbers in check.

Basically he told me, if I get stuff like that, don't sweat it, as long as you have documentation that you have properly serviced the truck as prescribed by the manufacturer (oil changes, fuel filter, gear oil, tranny fluid, etc..) you will be OK.

He mentioned that some dealers will "try" and make you do it with them, but to ignore it.. as long as you have serviced the truck yourself and kepts records saying as such.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts