Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does Cummins employ a gorella to tighten the oil filters on new engines? I actually broke one filter wrench trying to get the the original one off Saturday.:rant:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the same problem. I heard its from a clear coat they put on the engine. Could be B.S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
did you warm the engine before trying? thats what I have to do even after I do it myself

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yea... she's always a little tight the first time. :)

I've had to purchase a belt wrench just for the first change...

I'd agree with the clear coat remark, but no matter - its a PITA to get that first filter off, no matter what the cause.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Plus theres really no room to get any leverage on it. the fuel filter is the same way tho.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Plus theres really no room to get any leverage on it. the fuel filter is the same way tho.
Actually, if you jack up the right side and take the wheel off you can reach between the frame and inner panel and get a filter wrench on it:lol3: Then you can place your size 12 foot on the wrench and pray that you did not buy one of those $2.99 special wrenches, and push for all your worth:woot: At least that's what I had to do:thumbsup

OH and why didn't someone tell me before I carwled under there for the fourth time that it uses a 3/8 ratchet to get the stupid drain plug out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only 1? I broke 3 or 4 before I gave up and called a shop to come get it to deal with getting it off there. :lol3:

Wanted to go gorilla hunting that day for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts