Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I got a 2002 2500 5-speed long bed. And It has a B&W gooseneck hitch in it. Now I pull my rock crawler with a 16ft bumper pull trailer. But I want a gooseneck that is capable of hauling 2 rigs.

Can my truck handle this...I am looking at 30ft goosenecks now. I dont really want a dual tandem or triple axle, I want single wheel tandem axles. The rigs I would haul would either be toyota or jeeps, so they wouldnt weigh too much. And eventually I want to put a cab over on the front of the gooseneck.

I know weight wise it would be fine...but I am worried that this may be getting into one ton territory.

·
Here to learn
1,438 Posts
My dad's 32' triple axle weighs about 8,000 lbs. I don't know what your crawlers weigh, but that should help you figure out if your truck can handle it. The trailer you are thinking about would be right about 7,000 or so I would guess. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your combined rating should be around 20k lbs. I think you should be fine.

I assume you already have a good brake controller.

FYI- my brother in law pulls loads of hay with my dad's trailer with his 03 QCSB 2500.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My girlfriends brother pulls our 28ft dual tandem (8k) usually with a 12k pound tractor with his 2door f-250, you should be fine:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You will be over weight per what Dodge says you can haul but with a good set of brakes and a set of airbags you should be good. An exhaust brake maybe if you are in the hills a lot.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
stay away from trailers with any gvw over 20k it will put you in the class a over 26k combo area which is a nightmare due to the commercial possibility issue with your state dot

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
stay away from trailers with any gvw over 20k it will put you in the class a over 26k combo area which is a nightmare due to the commercial possibility issue with your state dot
hey rpage,

Wouldn't it be 26,000 - 9,000 (gvw of 2500) = 17,000 max GVW for trailer?

·
PA Cummins
2,780 Posts
Any commercial trailer over 10,001 lb rating falls into Class B CDL territory, at the minimum. That's why so many go for enclosed, to get into the RV exemption bracket.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Any commercial trailer over 10,001 lb rating falls into Class B CDL territory, at the minimum. That's why so many go for enclosed, to get into the RV exemption bracket.
I don't think he's pulling that trailer for profit, for hire or for commercial purposes so the 10,000# trailer requiring CDL doesn't apply here. That rule is for what you do with the trailer not what the trailer can be used for. However, the 26k max would still apply.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
its not the trailer that makes it fall into class b its the vehicle towing it. if that was the case every tom dick and harry would be getting stopped by the dot around here. i can put a 14k trailer on my dually and the dot doesnt mess with me at all. unlike when i hook up my 40 ft dual tandem which puts me in there worry. but yea decker he could go 17k but for insurance i would go 16.5k

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
its not the trailer that makes it fall into class b its the vehicle towing it.
I think you have that backwards especially if you read the rest of your post. You said you are ok with the 14k GN but not with the 20k trailer using the same truck. Yes - the trailer is what decides as this is what would put you over the 26k threshold (for personal use). However, once you go for hire, then any trailer over 10k would require a CDL, and of course any truck (no trailer) that is over 26k (no cdl if under 26k, like those Ryder rental trucks used for moving).

Or at least that is the way it reads.

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
nope i haul for hire and the dot doesnt even look twice with a single wheel trailer nor do i pull into weight stations. B is used for straight trucks without trailers. out of curiosity i will ask my dot trooper here in town to see how he interpets the law since the fmcsa laws are the same. even if its for personal use and over 26k you still need a class a just not a cdl from what i was told the first time i got stopped and didnt have an a and was hauling personal equipment. if you have farm tags then it mite be a different story but theres a whole set of rules in that dept and they are starting to crack down on those guys now who cheat

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Yea. From what people have been saying it seems every state and DOT officer will interpret the laws a little bit different, unfortunately. And they do it in their favor knowing if you live in NJ you darn well will not come back to Texas to fight a ticket, unless its a couple grand. Imagine if they could squeez out a $100 or $500 ticket from every guy they red light. Prffft......its BS.

Around here you can't get a A license without it being a commercial license. They are one and the same. I got my CDL A with air brakes as I am looking into the auto hauling. Been researching and researching for more then a year now....just haven't made that leap from my day job yet. Its hard giving up a paying job for the unknown, especially in this economy.

From what I've learned you can drive and/or pull whatever you want as long as both don't add up to 26k or more without a CDL (for personal use only).

Once you are for hire, you need a CDL if the trailer is above 10k. If no trailer then no CDL required until the vehicle pops 26k.

I ran a 14k double axle GN up and down east coast from NJ to FL for personal use and no trouble. Never hassled for skipping scales (as I really didn't need to go through them anyways). Then I bought a 22400# PJ 40' deck over (which I just sold for a 20' dump) and ran upstate a few times even up the GSP which is a NO TRUCKS highway with no trouble. The key is it wasn't for commercial use (regular plates).

BUT - they are really cracking down on trucks (class 8) and 1 ton auto haulers on the New Jersey Turnpike lately. Probably because many of them pull 50 or 53 foot wedges loaded to the gills with heavy SUV's and are over 65' with their 1 tons with the beds on. This state, as many others, are seeing the revenue possible from the truckers. In one way its good as it gets all the weekend illegal guys off the road and hopefully will bring freight prices back up where they should be. Its also bad as some weekend guy out with his family or friends pulling his heavy trailer may get caught up in their web, and once they get you in and spend time with you they want to get paid...even if its only for a BS $100 broken light ticket.

EDIT: SO - a lot of good info but not sure if all this helps the guy who asked the question about a 30' with a 2500. My truck was a 2500 which I converted to a dually. It pulled the 30' 14k Gooseneck just fine as a 2500 SRW with no trouble (see pic). Key is to have the right gears and drive responsibly, and in my opinion --- get a gooseneck or fifth wheel. Those bumper pulls are for sissy! :hehe:

Attachments

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
yea the commercial fines are such a good money producer that a lot of citie locals are starting to have certified dot guys to get in on it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts