Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
July 18th, 2016 UPDATE: Starting on page 7 this is now a joint build thread between all 5 of my personal trucks over the last couple years!

Well it only took a year to finally start a build thread on the 06 project truck but here it is. I purchased the following truck June of 2013. The initial premise was to be a UDC vs. EFI custom tuning test truck from bone stock all the way through to it's final fully built setup. But it is also a project truck I have been wanting to build for several years now and decided to make it a reality.

THE TRUCK AS OF JUNE 2013:

-2006 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT 4X4
-125,000 MILES
-SINGLE CAB LONG BED
-STOCK 48RE AUTOMATIC
-STOCK MOTOR
-STOCK FUEL SYSTEM
-STOCK TURBO
-STOCK SUSPENSION, WHEELS, TIRES

-BASICALLY A COMPLETELY BONE STOCK TRUCK FROM FRONT TO REAR OTHER THAN A RANCH HAND FRONT BUMPER AND SOME FENDER FLARES. DANG THING DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A LICK OF WIDOW TINT ON IT IT WAS SO STOCK.

Here are some teaser pictures of my other trucks. Write up continues on page 7 for anyone wanting to jump ahead to the current stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
INITIAL BUILD PLANS:

POWER

-SMARTY UDC AND EFI LIVE TUNING
-ED BILLET 63 OVER S475 TWIN SETUP
-BBI STAGE 2 INJECTORS
-ATS DUAL STOCK CP3s
-HTT INTERCOOLER
-PUSHER MEGA INTAKE HORN AND CHARGE PIPE
-HAMILTON PUSHRODS
-HAMILTON 110# VALVE SPRINGS
-HAMILTON 188/220 CAM
-A-1 H11 HEADSTUDS
-FLO PRO 5" TURBO BACK DUAL EXHAUST
-GDP INTAKE PLENUM AND GRID HEATER DELETE
-BUILT 48RE IN HOUSE WITH PCS STANDALONE CONTROLLER
-POSSIBLE NV5600 SWAP WITH VALAIR TRIPLE DISK CLUTCH LATER ON

EXTERIOR AND BODY

-SHORT WIDE CONVERSION - FRAME AND BED
-REVERSE LEVELED STANCE
-LARAMIE STOCK COLOR MATCHED FRONT BUMPER
-FRENCHED STEEL ROLL PAN
-CUSTOM FULL BODY VYNIL WRAP
-SOME FORM OF BLACK/MACHINED 18" RIMS AND TIRES
-2009 FRONT SUSPENSION UPGRADE
-BILSTEIN SHOCKS ALL AROUND
-BLACK BILLET GRILLE
-SMOKED HID HEADLIGHTS
-SMOKED RECON LED TAIL LIGHTS AND THIRD BRAKE LIGHT
-SMOKED LED CAB LIGHTS
-SMOKED FOG LIGHTS
-REPLACING TOW MIRRORS WITH SPORT MIRRORS
-DE-BADGED
-SRT-10 HOOD
-MAG-HYTEC DIFFERENTIAL COVERS
-EITHER RCD, CARLI, OR IN HOUSE TRACTION/LADDER BARS

INTERIOR

-FLEECE 4 GAUGE POD ON DASH
-AUTOMETER RAIL PRESSURE, TRANS TEMP, PYRO, AND BOOST PHANTOM GAUGES
-RED US SPEEDO GAUGE CLUSTER
-JVC 6.5" DECK/HEAD UNIT DVD PLAYER
-KICKER SPEAKERS, SUB, AND TWEETERS
-REMOVING WOOD GRAIN ACCENT PACKAGE AND REPLACING WITH CARBON FIBER ACCENT AND DASH PACKAGE
-EVENTUALLY CORBEAU RACING SEATS OR CUSTOM LEATHER UPHOLSTERY

-Here is a rough version of a vague end posibility

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First things on the list were the basics and essentials.

-I bought the truck in Dallas, TX and had a 6 hour drive back home all stock. I had forgotten how boring driving a bone stock truck was.

-As soon as I got it back to the shop that afternoon, I immediately installed a Smarty UDC tune on the truck to wake it up.

-Window tint. I actually got a sunburn on my left arm on the drive home from Dallas because the truck didn't have a lick of tint on any window.

-Fabbed up a simple 5" exhaust dumped over the rear axel using an FTE 5" resonator. This was my first experience using one of these resonators and overall I was really impressed. It really does cut down the majority of the in cab exhaust noise and drone.

-Borrowed the set of 18" Black XD Badlands wrapped in 325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers off of my 05 truck while it is parked for the NV5600 to 48re swap.

-Swapped out the bent chrome stock rear bumper for a black one we had sitting around with a little Coffman Customs swag.

-Removed the Ranch Hand front replacement bumper and replaced with a painted white stock Laramie bumper.

-The stock headlights were oxidized so I replaced them with stock ones with black painted backgrounds. No time to do them myself so just opted to get them off Ebay.

-The truck didn't come wired for fog lights so I bought a set of aftermarket smoked OEM fog lights and wired them into the cab on it's own switch.

-Installed Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights and third brake light.

-The truck came with clearance lights from the factory so I changed them out for some Recon Smoked LED ones.

-Installed a full amped Kicker speaker system all the way around and added tweeters as well. Kicker Amp under the driver's seat and single Kicker 10" CVT behind the passenger seat.

-JVC 6.5" touchscreen DVD/Bluetooth head unit. Since the truck was originally the TRX4 package it came with the single DIN head unit so I had to replace the entire dash bezel with a carbon fiber OEM replacement one with the Navigation head unit center hole.

-Turns out white Plasti-Dip is almost identical to dodge white so I went ahead and dipped the stock grille and tow mirrors for giggles. New grille will be coming soon but this will get the job done for now. Will also be removing the tow mirrors and replacing them with sport mirrors.

-All new brakes all the way around as well as replaced one of the rotors as it was pretty chewed up.

·
3 footin' through life
12,305 Posts
Wow you've been hiding this thread from us! Looks good. I'm astonished that thing made it that long without getting molested. All the TRX-4's I see look like a 18 year old flat brimmer owns it.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will just chime in with an understatement and say, that is going to be fun.......

Jealous!
Thanks, it's definitely a project truck I've been wanting to build for several years now. Just no time to work on it.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you've been hiding this thread from us! Looks good. I'm astonished that thing made it that long without getting molested. All the TRX-4's I see look like a 18 year old flat brimmer owns it.
Well I haven't been hiding it too long. I just had time to finally start the thread a couple weeks ago, nearly a year after buying the truck lol. I definitely got lucky finding this truck in such good, stock condition. It belong to an electrical cooperative before I bought it and was basically a meter reader and commuter truck.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Performance Basics:

-As already stated, this truck switches back and forth between UDC and EFI CSP5 Custom Tuning.

-First things first, GAUGES. Gotta keep everything in check from day 1. I went with Autometer Phantom 2s and replaced the crappy standard bulbs they come with from Autometer and replaced them with the LEDs. Boost, Pyro, Trans Temp, and Rail Pressure mounted in the Fleece dash mount. I put these in July/August of last year. I have not been 100% satisfied with the Phantom 2s but they get the job done. I will most likely be switching to a different Autometer style in the future. But I do really like the 4 gauge pillar right on top of the dash compared to the normal 3 gauge pillar pod.

-I also bought the US Speedo Red gauge cluster on an impulse buy one night. While they do look cool, if I could go back I probably would have just saved the money and stuck with the stock gauge cluster. It is a fairly big pain in the rear tearing down the dash to replace the background as well as getting all of the needles set exactly right. But it was also the first set I had ever installed and if I could go back again the install wouldn't be as bad. Main problem is Autometer doesn't make red style gauges :banghead:. I ordered the US Speedo cluster and the Phatom 2s at the same time without thinking about them not matching. Something will be changed in the near future tho.

-Pusher MEGA Intake Horn. After running various other brands of intake horns on my 05 truck over the years and installing them on customers' trucks, I really like Pusher's products the best. In reality all of the standard 3rd gen replacement intake horns do the same thing performance wise. My best advice I can give to anyone reading this is to basically pick your favorite color or the one you think looks cool and go with it :thumbsup:. I went with Pusher again for this truck because they offer a kit with the bigger charge/intercooler pipes and you get to pick your own color of powder coat.

-Removed the passenger side battery to clear up some under-hood space and eventually make the twins install easier.

-Installed the ED Billet 63/68/14 as a single for now in a 2nd gen setup with an ATS 3 piece manifold. Fabbed up a quick, simple intake and modified the stock charge pipe for this temporary setup. After running this turbo for the past 7 months in this configuration I have been extremely happy with it across the board. Even with stock fueling, it has been very responsive to the UDC/EFI tuning and runs really well as far as spool, egts, power, responsiveness, etc.

-As soon as Flo-Pro announced they were developing a true 5" duals kit I pre-ordered one for this truck. It finally came in a few months later and we got it put on a couple months ago. Fit and finish of this kit have been pretty good so far. Only problem I have run into is where the y-pipe splits at the rear of the driveshaft you have to align the driver's side dual PERFECT or it will hit your driveshaft right at the U-joints easily while driving. The fact that you can't keep the spare tire didn't really have any sway on my decision. Overall I really like the sound and tone of this exhaust a lot. It is extremely deep and loud, especially with the 5x6x18" tips. Only thing I will most likely change about it in the future will be adding one of FTE's 5" resonators to take out some of the in cab noise.

-And that is basically how the truck has been setup as far as performance for the last 6-7 months. Until I have time to build up the 48re (which hates me right now) that is as far as I will push it. :thumbsup:

·
3 footin' through life
12,305 Posts
The tips on that kit are so low. Wonder why they designed it that way. I'll have to throw up a pic of my exhaust shop duals that were on the truck when I got it. And it clears the spare. Not that I carry it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tips on that kit are so low. Wonder why they designed it that way. I'll have to throw up a pic of my exhaust shop duals that were on the truck when I got it. And it clears the spare. Not that I carry it anyway.
Are your duals 4" or 5" Andrew? These pictures make them look a lot lower than they actually are. I agree they are kind of low but not too bad. I'll try to remember to put up a picture of them sitting on the ground for comparison.

·
Registered
585 Posts
This truck is plain awesome!!!! Love what you've done to it so far.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This truck is plain awesome!!!! Love what you've done to it so far.
Thank you. A lot has changed to it in the last 2 weeks. I will have an updated post with the new stance, rims, and wrap posted up ASAP. :thumbup:

·
3 footin' through life
12,305 Posts
I'll grab some pics of them.

With the easy swapping to EFI and UDC I'd be real interested to see the differences in smoke output once you get injectors in it. I assume you are going with some big nasty sticks? Edit: I see the BBI 2's. Is that gonna be enough for what you have planned for this monster? Or is maverick getting the more wicked set up?

Reactions: cowboy395

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll grab some pics of them.

With the easy swapping to EFI and UDC I'd be real interested to see the differences in smoke output once you get injectors in it. I assume you are going with some big nasty sticks? Edit: I see the BBI 2's. Is that gonna be enough for what you have planned for this monster? Or is maverick getting the more wicked set up?
Yes sir the BBI Stage 2s will be plenty for the 800-850 tuned down. They are good for 1000. I'm actually taking the stage 2s out of Maverick and putting them in Goose. Maverick is getting a set of stage 3s and will have a bigger twin setup on it. Haven't decided if I'm going to do an ED 63/480 setup or a setup of Garrett's from Big Twin. Gotta finish building the 48re and swap it in before I can get to any of that tho. :banghead:

·
3 footin' through life
12,305 Posts
Hmmm interesting. Curious as to why you wanted to make the lighter truck the more mild setup and the heavier manual truck into the balls out build? An NV would have been able to handle that milder setup too I think.

·
Registered
10,352 Posts
Yes sir the BBI Stage 2s will be plenty for the 800-850 tuned down. They are good for 1000. I'm actually taking the stage 2s out of Maverick and putting them in Goose. Maverick is getting a set of stage 3s and will have a bigger twin setup on it. Haven't decided if I'm going to do an ED 63/480 setup or a setup of Garrett's from Big Twin. Gotta finish building the 48re and swap it in before I can get to any of that tho. :banghead:
I have been tuning a set of Stage 3's, and they are very very comfortably making 1000+. There is plenty left in them, but the lower timing and duration is a big plus in my book. With UDC, or EFI, there isn't a good reason not to go a size too big on quality injectors. Heck, my stage 1's are just stroling along at 415rwhp... But my timing is VERY low :)

Maverick will like the 3's for sure, the 480 will clean them up and so would some BT Garret's for a very fast truck. I'm partial to BT and Garret's myself :)

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm interesting. Curious as to why you wanted to make the lighter truck the more mild setup and the heavier manual truck into the balls out build? An NV would have been able to handle that milder setup too I think.
Trust me I'm wishing I had kept that NV and triple disk to swap into Goose but o well. Goose will be about 500lbs. lighter than Maverick when I get done with the weight reductions of each. I'm starting to lean away from the short wide conversion. Don't know when I'll ever have the time to do it and since getting married I can think of better things to spend that money on. Since we wrapped it last week and changed up the stance I'm really starting to like the long bed setup.

I know it seems like the milder build is going into this truck but that is just the base hp goal. Originally goal for Maverick in the beginning was 750-800, now I'm contemplating the 1000-1200 mark. If I had to guess Goose will end up closer to the 1000hp mark in the coming years but for the base build for a while this will get me by. :thumbup:

I've been installing a bunch of clutches lately in the shop and it has really given me the itch to possibly put an NV into Goose. Maybe one of these days. Duramaxes have been at the top of that list long enough. :confused013:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have been tuning a set of Stage 3's, and they are very very comfortably making 1000+. There is plenty left in them, but the lower timing and duration is a big plus in my book. With UDC, or EFI, there isn't a good reason not to go a size too big on quality injectors. Heck, my stage 1's are just stroling along at 415rwhp... But my timing is VERY low :)

Maverick will like the 3's for sure, the 480 will clean them up and so would some BT Garret's for a very fast truck. I'm partial to BT and Garret's myself :)
Yeah I've got a good friend here local that has switched from a stocker/475, to 66/483, to 68/106 Garrett's all in the last year and is telling me that his new set of Garrett's spool faster than his stocker/475 setup. So I'm starting to lean that way pretty heavy. I already have an extra ED 63/68/14 and full piping for both trucks but I suppose I could always sell it and just buy one of Big Twins full setups. Too many options and not enough time to work on personal trucks. :S:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Exterior and Lowered Stance

-New rims and tires. Bought these BMF Novakanes last August (2013) for Maverick originally, waited 3 months for them to come in, and then they sat in my storage until June 20th, 2014. Ridiculous but decided to put them to use on this truck for now. I really, really like these rims and remember why I bought them now.

-SRT Style Hood pretty self explanatory. Put one on Maverick 9 years ago. Really like the look of them so went ahead and got one for Goose as well. Equally pleased.

-Reverse lowered stance. This was the first time for me personally doing this procedure and I must say I was not impressed with the info I was able to find online for it. Lots of mixed information. So I just pieced it all together to get the result I was looking for. I will also be making a dedicated post for that procedure to hopefully help someone else down the road.

-Here is the way I ended up doing it:
-Here is a picture of how it all looks stock with the overload and spacers from the factory.

-Disconnected the shock at the bottom housing and clamped all the springs except the overload on either side of the U-bolts.
-Unbolted U-Bolts and disconnected centering bolts that come through top of the springs.

-Removed Overload Spring
-Moved 2 Spacers from the bottom to the top
-Re-Installed Centering Bolts

-Re-Installed U-Bolts and shocks

The truck now sits within an inch of being level from front to rear. The front still sits about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the rear and I will probably go back and move the 3rd spacer when I have some spare time. This whole procedure takes about 20 minutes per side maybe.

BEFORE REVERSE LEVEL:

AFTER REVERSE LEVEL:

-Truck has about 145k on it now all on the stock shocks so I replaced them all with Bilsteins all the way around. Night and day difference in the ride with this stance and shocks.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts