Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i installed my ems offroad hubs, ball joints, wheel bearings and brakes. as in the past (on old trucks) i compressed the caliper, all the way till it stopped (guess i could have compared the thickness of the new pads to see how much needed to be compressed). took the cover off to compress, then cover back on. new pads were real loose. started the engine. abs light was on, brake light was on. pedal went to the floor. i stepped on the pedal. i pumped it a dozen times or so, came up properly, lights still on. did i screw up and compress the calipers too much? i thought abs was only in rear, there was no sensor on the hub bearing, i replaced w/timken roller bearings. it is going in for an inspection in the AM at the dealership, they'll check it:$:. any ideas?
jon

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it's out now

i bought this truck specifically to get rid of as many computer electronics as i could. i have no problem w/mechical stuff, it's when idiot lights come on that i worry.
i drove the truck for 20 minutes, drives fine, brakes are good, both lights were on. i shut it down for 1 hour, started it, both lights were out now. i guess just a reset. like i said brakes feel fine. hopefully that's the end of it:hyper:.
jon

·
Registered
75 Posts
The same problem my 94 has....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still fine today

i drove it home last night, this morning to the dealership for inspection and front end alignment, it is still off, must be fine and just needed a reset.

·
Registered
4 Posts
and here you go!! check the wiring harness under the right side just under the door it gets full of dirt and mud if all else fails also check to see the the proportioning valve is centered

·
Registered
7 Posts
next time pinch the hose off and open the bleeder its not good to push the fluid back through the system. The abs senser could be going out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
next time pinch the hose off and open the bleeder its not good to push the fluid back through the system. The abs senser could be going out.
x2 you get alot of junk back clogged up into the lines if you do that too many times. always pinch, crack and release! then refill.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On somewhat the same subject how bad is it on the break system to have somting outher than dot 3 in it ..Dont ask but somehow ATF got in there...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pinch how?

do i use vise grips set lightly to pinch the line? i have heard that the fluid should be flushed at sometime to clean it out and remove old fluid and moisture. some time this summer i'll be able to do that.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
x2 you get alot of junk back clogged up into the lines if you do that too many times. always pinch, crack and release! then refill.
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but never pinch the hoses or lines. You will damage them internally and may not see it. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

·
Registered
220 Posts
when u push fluid back threw the system u will have to bleed the abs module and to do that you will have to use a scanner

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have never heard of anyone saying its bad to push the caliper in. and you don't really need to pinch the line..... just crack the bleeder and push in the caliper, as long as your always pushing no air can get in the system. Then re tighten before you take the clamp off...... And i've never heard about bleeding an ABS module?

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
doesn't snap-on, craftsman and every other tool maker have a plier just for pinching off the brake line

1 - 13 of 13 Posts