Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I want to buy a good set of tires for my 1996 2500 4x4 auto with 4.10 diffs, because I'll be carrying a 2000-2500 pound slide-in camper.

I want to get load range E tires with stiff sidewalls, for stability when carrying the camper on the back.

The stock tires on there are 245/75/R16. I'm thinking of getting 265 or 285's, to get a bit more load capacity, but also to help bring the engine rev's down a bit at highway speed. Unless there is a good reason I should stick with the stock size?

Most of my driving will be on paved roads, but I do intend on making some Northern trips on gravel highways (Labrador, Yukon), so would like a tire that is rugged and handles gravel well. There might also be occasional driving on marginal roads (logging, dirt) to access more remote camping sites.

I've been considering Toyo's
- MT55 - but I hear they are a bit noisy at highway speeds (I'd like quiet tires if possible)
- H/T Open Country "Tuff Duty"

Am I on the right track size-wise, and are there good alternatives to Toyo I should consider? I want tires that are trouble-free, reliable, and durable.

Thanks.
--Robert

·
Playin with Coal
24 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler Territories are nice, 265 are nice size

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
check out the nitto dura grappler, they are a very heavy duty tire, also look at the goodyear pro grade series tires.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My dura grapplers have been great in the summer and for hauling, but they really leave a lot to be desired in winter. I live in Alberta and will not be purchasing these tires again, they wear great but that doesn't do me much good when I can get stuck in a foot of snow because they aren't knobby enough to dig me out.

·
Registered
848 Posts
suggestion - Firestone Transforce

Firestone Transforce HT if you are a pavement dweller & Transforce AT if you frequent light offroading or endure frequent winter snow falls. Both are well made tires at an affordable price. I have the HTs on my dually & love them.

Firestone Transforce Tires | Firestone Tires

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Firestone Transforce HT if you are a pavement dweller & Transforce AT if you frequent light offroading or endure frequent winter snow falls. Both are well made tires at an affordable price. I have the HTs on my dually & love them.

Firestone Transforce Tires | Firestone Tires
:agree2: forgot about those, I got 60k on a set of transforce at's on my DRW, they arent the best tire for looks, but they are cheap and last.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts