Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I get up and decide to rotate my tires. While doing this on my 30,000 mile truck with stock rims I find both hub bearings with play in them and my passenger side rear tire coated with gear oil. I LOVE IT!

Anyone else had these failures so soon? I'm sure others have and would love to hear at what mileage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've heard of bearings going at 10 k and I've heard of some making it half a million without problems I think it's just the luck of the draw. My 99 that a friend bought has 400,000 km now on stock bearings still nice and tight but the 09 he just bought need both replaced at 90k km. My 12 has 72k km now and mine are both tight so far but who knows how long they'll go?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
My passenger rear wheel seal went bad at 5,000 miles. I noticed it when I put my new wheels and tires on. Dealer replaced everything under warranty. Was shocked it was leaking that soon.

·
Devil Dog Diesel
2,759 Posts
Are they oversized wheels and tires? My 35s def put stress on my hub/bearings and Ive had to do BOTH sides myself. Curious - how did you rotate your tires (what pattern) If doing it yourself and jacking up one side I assume you are just going back to front (unless you had a whole truck lift to to an criss cross?) So id be interested to know what you use for a jack and how you did it all?

Good insight checking the hubs with front end up too bro!!! Any idea what you are gonna replace them with? IMHO, and what I used after some research - I stuck with the stock hub/bearing setup myself. Didnt put on anything aftermarket and tricked out with all sorts of grease fittings and stuff. The OEM got my vote.

Let us know what your choice was/is and if you don't mind Id like to hear about your rotation method / pattern if you can please? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheels are stock but I am running a 285/70R17 tire. I have 4 jackstands and I do the criss cross pattern. I just use a 3 ton jack and jack the front up first, put it on jack stands and then jack up the back and put the jackstands under the axles front and back.

I still have warranty so it will be OEM. I looked online and was going to go with a Timken hub bearing assembly if I were to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I bought this truck brand new and have had the following issues.

1. Third brake light leak.
2. Both puddle lamps burnt out.
3. Seam seal on cab under window failed filling cab with water which got me all new carpet and underlayment and other interiod parts due to mold clear up to the dash. Truck was in shop for 2 months for this........and now these issues I found today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts