Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Good place for front end work?

936 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  josh2477
I've got a wheel bearing or something in the front end going out. Its got a heckuva vibration between 50-60 mph.
Whats a good place to take my truck and have it looked at around Nashville?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to figure out what it is somehow...there's almost too many posts on here with the same symptoms to figure it out..if its a wheel bearing I prob will do it myself.

· Registered
536 Posts
What part of Nashville are you looking for a shop? Or just anywhere around Nashville?

· Registered
379 Posts
does it make a thunk noise when you put it in drive i noticed after i had a vibrtion over 60 it was my rear u-joint it's a hell of a lot cheeper than that $400 wheel bearing you might want to check that out.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm closer to Antioch so somewhere on the east or north would be great...theres seems to be a few places up by Hendersonville...sometimes it does make that "thunk". its got that tick tick too and it seems to be going faster than the tire...its progressively getter worse so I should be able to pinpoint it better within a few days.

· Registered
113 Posts
I own R&R AUTO REPAIR in Hendersonville call me at 615-826-1905

· Tennesse Chapter President
1,798 Posts
might want to check out the axle u-joints also, while you check the bearings.

· Registered
2,285 Posts
I've got a wheel bearing or something in the front end going out. Its got a heckuva vibration between 50-60 mph.
Whats a good place to take my truck and have it looked at around Nashville?
Best way to check for a bearing going out is to jackup on the front axle on each side of the truck. Grab the tires with both hands at the top and bottom of the tire. Shake the tire, if there is any movement its the bearing. Also a vibration could be front drive shaft joints. Grab it and try to move it, if their is slack that is a problem.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I jack the front up I get just enough play to "feel" it but not enough to really notice.
I think I've got a rear u joint and something else in the front. I'll have more time to mess wit hit this weekend

· Registered
2,285 Posts
When I jack the front up I get just enough play to "feel" it but not enough to really notice.
I think I've got a rear u joint and something else in the front. I'll have more time to mess wit hit this weekend
If there is any slack that hub needs to be replaced. If you keep running it till it fails, the entire wheel asembly will come flying off and end up costing you alot more in repairs than the hub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.