Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well gang...

Mopar1973Man is hard at work trying to get the most out of my 2002 Dodge Cummins. Still to this day there is no BIO diesel available near me. But the price of diesel here is now up to $4.609 to $4.709. It rapidily head for $5 bucks...

But back to topic at hand. I've managed to extended out my MPG to 21-22 MPGs This is mixed city and highway both. Traveling upwards of 300+ miles.

My trip to Postfalls, ID I got 21.7 MPG! Then on my last trip to Boise, ID I got 22.5 MPG when I returned... All this was done on 2 cycle oil still...

Here is my write up for better MPGs (Results of my trips at the bottom of the page)
Better MPG's

Here is my 2 cycle oil page. (With update information on noise level!)
2 Cycle Oil

So I'm able to hold my own at the pump for the time being... This is a 4-5 MPG increase with a change of driving habits and 2 cycle oil is NOT a NEGATIVE factor as many believe it is...

As for my ScanGauge II is calibrated just about dead on...When I pumped out my fuel tank to install my draw straw for my AirDog 150 I measured out my remaining fuel and I was within 1/2 Gallon of what was displayed. So I know the numbers displayed or accurate and correct compared to the "Overhead idiot's" (which I don't have...). My odometer also matches the ScanGauge II for travel and time of travel is correct too...

Write up on ScanGauge II
ScanGauge II

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats some good info you have. Its always good to find a better way to get better milage and make your motor last longer too.

Thanks Mopar1973man

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I guess I should be very happy with my stock trucks fuel mileage then. I used 12.62 gallons of diesel in 249.8 miles or 19.79 mpg on straight #2 diesel and the trucks first long drive of more then 45 miles in 5.5 months.

BTW, it took 7 days to get those 249.8 miles and it included one 200 plus mile 4.75 hr drive along with several short drives 4 mile drives and some town driving too.

·
Banned
2,046 Posts
This is the third tank in a row now that I've averaged over 19.5mpg. I filled up just an hour ago and put in 30.267gal and had 602.7 miles on the tank. This tank averages out to 19.9mpg. Of the 600+ miles on the tank, probably 200 or them were towing my work trailer!!! These last 3 tanks I'm sure are summer blend fuel, but I've religiously been dumping in 16oz of 2 stroke per fill up in my 04.5. No gummed up injectors here!!!!:T::hyper:

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Man i can't even get close to those numbers, not even on the highway. I guess I need to learn to slow down.

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I am running 2-stroke in mine also, I have seen 18.91mpg on the highway with 315's...Mixed local driving drops me to 17.8mpg...

·
Registered
929 Posts
is it safe to run the 2 stroke oil in our pumps (cp3)? i've been told that it isn't good for our pumps or injectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Will it create more SMOKE?? Me Likey....

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is it safe to run the 2 stroke oil in our pumps (cp3)? i've been told that it isn't good for our pumps or injectors.
This is the third tank in a row now that I've averaged over 19.5mpg. I filled up just an hour ago and put in 30.267gal and had 602.7 miles on the tank. This tank averages out to 19.9mpg. Of the 600+ miles on the tank, probably 200 or them were towing my work trailer!!! These last 3 tanks I'm sure are summer blend fuel, but I've religiously been dumping in 16oz of 2 stroke per fill up in my 04.5. No gummed up injectors here!!!!:T::hyper:
Yeap... Dorkweed has been running 256:1 ratio now for as long as I've been running 128:1 ratio in my 2nd Gen 24V...:thumbsup

Will it create more SMOKE?? Me Likey....
No really change in smoke color or quantity...

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man i can't even get close to those numbers, not even on the highway. I guess I need to learn to slow down.
Just remember to keep you boost under 5 PSI and pyrometer under 600*F and you should get it...

Typically found at 55-60 MPH...:w:

My trip yesterrday to Boise, Id and back home I did it again... I broke my high mark again. I filled up in Boise, ID and drove back home on US-95 to home (New Meadows, ID).

My final MPG number on the ScanGauge II was 23.3 MPG.

My change was that now instead of running my Edge Comp of 4x4 I desided to got for the full meal deal. I crank up 5x5 (MAX) and drove home.

The other change was trying to use cruise control as much as possible... So if I was in a windy mountain pass I would try to set for a speed that allow me to travel the whole strech without cancelling or decelerating.

I gave me a +0.8 MPG boost.. The big thing is to quit playing and try to get through the gears without smoke. So to get home from Boise, ID to New meadows, ID I burned almost 1/8th of a tank but not quite...

When the daylight is a bit brighter I'll run out and get some pics... Sorry for the lack of pics but I got home late last night... I get pics posted really soon... But I'm really happy to share the new...:thumbsup

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Camera batteries are dead... (D'Oh! :thud:)

But here is the data...

23.3 MPG
7.22 Gallons Consumed
27.8 Gallons Remaining
168 Miles Traveled
647 Miles of Fuel remaining
3.7 Hours of run time
14.3 Hours of fuel remaining
45 MPH average Speed
$33.50 Total Cost @ $4.639

168 Miles / 7.22 Gallons = 23.26 (or 23.3 MPG!) :thumbsup:hyper:

647 + 168 = 815 Miles total for 35 Gallons of fuel!

My Fuel gauge hit the 7/8 mark at 200 miles today! :w:

·
Registered
316 Posts
how many ounces of 2stroke oil do you add per gallon of diesel? what brand do you use and does it matter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Newer Trucks Too?

I know this is the 98-02 section, but will this work on the new 6.7? Fuel just hit $4.59 today, up 20 cents this week after 24 cents last week. :$:

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how many ounces of 2stroke oil do you add per gallon of diesel? what brand do you use and does it matter.
WalMart SuperTech Outboard 2 Cycle Oil...

128:1 Ratio is 1 ounce of oil for every 1 gallon of fuel

I know this is the 98-02 section, but will this work on the new 6.7? Fuel just hit $4.59 today, up 20 cents this week after 24 cents last week. :$:
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! 6.7L diesels can only run ULSD and cannot use 2 cycle oil or any additive with a oil in it! DPF damaged will occur and VOID YOUR WARRANTY! :thud:

Reactions: texasborn01

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
so what happens if you arent empty and want to add fuel is it still an ounce per gallon?? if the fuel you have left is not mixed with oil? dont that screw up the fuel/oil ratio??

also how many gallons typically are left when the fuel light goes on??

im going on a trip and i want to start using 2 stroke oil..when should i add it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
For anyone interested in metric, or for anyone from or traveling to Canada, 8ml of 2 stroke oil per litre of diesel is 125:1 ratio.

·
Registered
370 Posts
ive been using wally world 2 stroke oil in my 98.5 since the second tankful of fuel, and i used it in my previous truck ('92) as well.
my '92 was gettin as high as 25 to 26 mpg with a 1 oz/gal mix, and my '98.5 has, since the new vp44 was installed, been gettin 19+ average mpg per tankful.
for first time use i did it like this;
fill tank til the nozzle shuts off, then add 1quart 2 stroke, then top off the fuel (1 to 1 1/2 gal more in my truck) til you can see it at the top of the filler neck.
after that i fill the tank and add 1 oz per gallon. i try to add an ounce more than the pump reading and top off after adding oil to help the stuff mix.
oh, and i never let the fuel get low enough so the low fuel light comes on...

·
Registered
435 Posts
just added it to my 3rd gen yesterday. idles smoother and i'll keep you posted on the gains. i'm optimistic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Run the 1oz to 1gallon in my 06. I have the 6spd manual and the low geared rearend with 245/70/17 factory Michelins. I've calculated that going up to a 315 (35") tire will reduce my RPM by about 12%, thereby increasing my mpg. Have any of you had experience with this? I've read about several guys losing mpgs with taller tires but they all had 3.73 rearends and automatic trannys. And... anybody making a tall but skinny tire... like a 245/85/17?
Thanks,
MDL

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
you actually will increase your mpg 's with the taller tire. but thats if your only on the highway....in stop and go situtations, you will lose mpg's , as it will take more power to turn those wheels

i have 325/60/20 and im averaging about 17-18mpg

street: as low as 14.5 to as high as 17
highway: as low as 16.8 to as high as 19.8:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.