Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this probably been asked but what would be the best locking hub conversion to go with? I have seen the Spyntec, Dynatrac and Yukon, of these 3 which one would be the easiest to install and any special tools that I would need? I already ordered Carli Ball Joints, I already have 2 Spicer U-Joints from Rock Auto, I have been trying to contact The Ram man about his conversion and so far no soap, yeah I could do the online order but I would rather talk to someone on the phone and get some better answers, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I know that this probably been asked but what would be the best locking hub conversion to go with? I have seen the Spyntec, Dynatrac and Yukon, of these 3 which one would be the easiest to install and any special tools that I would need? I already ordered Carli Ball Joints, I already have 2 Spicer U-Joints from Rock Auto, I have been trying to contact The Ram man about his conversion and so far no soap, yeah I could do the online order but I would rather talk to someone on the phone and get some better answers, so any help would be appreciated.
They're all good. Everyone is going to chime in and say they like the one they own. Whatever one is in your budget I would go for. Lots of good information on the forum, writeups, etc. They all are almost identical as far as installation goes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I appreciate the feedback, I think that I have the jist of install, I would need any tips as far as special sockets or tools for the hubs themselves, this is something that I don't need to mess up, that would be one expensive boo boo.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I don't recall anything special installing my Spyntecs. My OEM unit hub bearings came off easy because I had done them previously a couple times and used marine grease between the flanges, but if you haven't replaced those they could be a bear to get off. A lot of people use their power steering, socket, extension, etc to pop them off.
But for a spin free kit, the instructions in the box are pretty detailed. You could probably get the instruction PDF right off the companies' sites as well...that will give you a list of installation tools.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool beans, yeah I had my hubs replaced in July of 18 so they should be a breeze coming off since they did use anti seize when they put the new hubs on, so yeah I plan on this little adventure here real soon, my only problem here in Louisiana now is the heat mixed with some humidity so that's the fun part.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It to me and a buddy 4 hours to convert to the Spyntec hubs. That was also including replacing the u-joints. The only problem with the RamMan stuff is you still have a unit bearing. All the other kits convert to dual bearings which is stronger. You won’t go wrong with ANY of the kits, but if your wanting to get away from the unit bearing then the RamMan is out......also his kit is just as expensive as the Spyntec kit when I did the Spyntec conversion this past February.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Forgot to add that if you have CAD, your only gaining 4lo in 2 wheel drive. If yours is not CAD, then it helps with the steering and you might see a little bit better mpg, although I haven’t noticed that.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
It to me and a buddy 4 hours to convert to the Spyntec hubs.
That's about the same for me and a bud when we did mine. But we also did EMF ball joints at the same time too (and new u-joints)

Reactions: 5.7 Hemi

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the manual transfer case, I have the ST trim, I have been seeing Spyntec's for around 1500 and the Ram Mans with the mile marker hubs for 1995 and with the ford hubs they go for 1795 so I think that I have made up my mind with the hub kit, I did print out both Spyntec's and Dynatrac's instructions so I should be GTG, I like the Yukon's hub kit but rather pricey.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I went through Solid Axle Industries and got the Spyntec's for 1450 and with shipping 1542.15 so now it is the wait for everything to show up.
You'll be very happy with the Spyntecs (Shorty's I'm assuming?). They have been awesome for me since I installed them. I came from manual hubs on my Tacoma ('99) so I knew at some point I'd be putting them on this truck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 74 Toyota FJ55 and I had locking hubs on it, so I kind of miss that but here shortly not anymore, plus my Carli ball joints come in on Friday.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Good job staying away from the RamMan hubs. Paying for re-drilled ford unit bearings isn't a good investment.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Lot's of guys have had luck pumping grease into the ABS opening. I was a skeptic until so many have had great luck with that procedure. It seems illogical but it works. My local shop does Ford's infrequently. They have more issues with the vacuum mechanism than the unit bearing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I was wondering if anyone had any issues with alignment after replacing the ball joints and doing the hub conversion, my last alignment was about 5 or 6 years ago when I replaced the track bar with a Carli track bar, I know that anytime you mess with any suspension parts it has to be done, my question is does this qualify?

·
Toyota and Cummins Nut!
1,349 Posts
I did lots of research and my final conclusion was the Spyntechs, they arrived Friday, a few weeks before I have a chance to install them,. Would love to replace the axle joints with a new unit that has a zerk fitting. Anyone did this? Do you have a part number?

Notice all Spyntehcs parts are very std parts. I printed out the parts page, laminated it and keep in in the truck so I alwasy have access to the right stuff.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts