Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a dually the other day when I was on a back Country Road. So I decided to stop in and ask the owner if they want to sell it. It's a 2001 3500 2wd dually with the six-speed manual. He wants $3,500. But he thinks the head gasket is leaking oil. Personally I haven't looked at it yet but I'm hoping that it's just a tappet cover. Overall the truck is in good condition but it's been sitting for about a year. Also it has 200,000 miles. Do you think it's worth it?
Also if it was to leak oil from the head what's a common location?
I'm heading back to get it started up tomorrow or Saturday because the battery's were weak and I didn't have my cables with me.

·
Vendor
8,254 Posts
if its not absolutely beat then its worth it.

probably a fuel leak if it in the vp44 side.

·
Registered
19,105 Posts
Welcome, It is worth more than that at the junk yard. So it is worth it. Head gaskets usually leak coolant but once in a while oil. Usually near the front or back. Make sure its not a cracked 53 block, they crack near the top of the block on pass side up under exhaust manifold, look for crack and water collant residue left after evaporation. That is the biggie need new engine. View from below. Common oil leaks ar the tapet cover and vacuum pump seal, $20 each DIY. Then in front ther is the timing cover leak. Water pump leaks when warm and sucks air back in cooling off, See vent on back of it or look for coolant running down and driping off the right front pan bolt.. $50 and less than an hour DIY.

If you like it we can walk you though all you options and how-to's.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's in better shape than my 01 2500. No rust and where he had it parked I couldn't craw under it to see if it was a 53 block. Thanks for your input guys I'm heading tomorrow morning to get a better look at things and drive it. I'll take some pictures and post them if I get a chance. Maybe walk through the process of getting it back on the road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's in better shape than my 01 2500. No rust and where he had it parked I couldn't craw under it to see if it was a 53 block. Thanks for your input guys I'm heading tomorrow morning to get a better look at things and drive it. I'll take some pictures and post them if I get a chance. Maybe walk through the process of getting it back on the road. If it isn't a 53 block

·
Registered
19,105 Posts
If it is what you want and expect and want to do it, don't wait too long someone else will buy it out from under you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Went and drove it today. Really clean underneath no rust. Looks like tappet cover is leaking, the gasket is partially hanging out between cyl 3-4. Bad news is that it's a 53 block. :( I talked to him and explained my concern and he knocked 300 off of the price. But it is REALLLLLLYYYY weak. I'm going to have the title switched over Monday and I'll start tearing it apart next week. Leak first then adjust the valves to see if it helps with the TURD mode, also rig up a way to check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
19,105 Posts
Keep it near stock and do not worry about the 53 if it is not cracked now and leaking. For that price, it is what it is Get a CUMMINS Tappet cover gasket from any local truck authorized for cummins repair or a cummins shop. At Any truck or cummins shop use of the Engine serial number is necessary, from front left of block.Cummins prices are usually cheaper at your local stores rather than Geno's and others here. Many places just buy them and resell them after mark up and freight. NO freight for local sale. Tappet cover or Vacuum pump seal about 17 to 20 dollars each a Cummins.
Cummins original is best tapet cover gasket right now because many of the after mareket gasket a shape deformed in the seal line.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I don't have a Cummins dealer within a 1.5 hour distance from me so I might have to have them mail it or just order one offline.
I really hope it's the tappet cover, I'm going to clean it with brake clean and compressed air to see for sure, but it definitely looked like the tappet cover had oil running from the bottom of it and the upper part that meets up with the head had a small amount of oil on it.

·
Registered
19,105 Posts
The gaskets split and oil runs out through the gap on original gaskets. Do you have a semi truck repair close? If you need dto buy at a parts store if the gasket has a thin bump ridge around the flat surface, make sure it goes all the way around. Also be sure and check the bottom of the vacuum pump for leaking when running with a flashlight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have one nearby but they mainly deal with international. I have a international dealer about 30 mins away too, but I doubt they would carry something for a 5.9. I'll give them a call and check. Since I already have it torn apart I'll most likely go ahead and reseal the vacuum pump. Is it pretty straight forward?

·
Registered
19,105 Posts
You both have a telephone don't you. They can probably have it overnight. I got my last ones from a local repair Peterbuilt and general repair shop. You see a lot of truck brand use several brands of engines. and lots of farm equipment uses Cummins including the 5.9's in pumps and other equipment. Even Ford uses them in the 650 and 750 and above. So even Ford may have it or can get it.
If they work on all brands , not just international they probalby have Big C sign outside. When you are as far out as you are yo have to be creative.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
I recently noticed a dually the other day when I was on a back Country Road. So I decided to stop in and ask the owner if they want to sell it. It's a 2001 3500 2wd dually with the six-speed manual. He wants $3,500. But he thinks the head gasket is leaking oil. Personally I haven't looked at it yet but I'm hoping that it's just a tappet cover. Overall the truck is in good condition but it's been sitting for about a year. Also it has 200,000 miles. Do you think it's worth it?
Also if it was to leak oil from the head what's a common location?
I'm heading back to get it started up tomorrow or Saturday because the battery's were weak and I didn't have my cables with me.
Great price and with the NV5600 It should be the HO. That NV5600 is worth half of what you paid, so your way ahead of the game.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure I can get them I'm in no rush I work on cars&trucks 5 days a week and tow on the weekends. So finding the extra time to tear into it is more of a concern.. Here's a picture. I just brought her to our shop. Look as the tappet cover is leaking and I scanned it real quick and got a Map low voltage code so I went ahead and ordered one for whenever I get a chance to work on it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great price and with the NV5600 It should be the HO. That NV5600 is worth half of what you paid, so your way ahead of the game.
I was hoping so. You see soo many of the common rail trucks that people want 15k and up for so I was thinking this was a deal I couldn't pass on.

·
Registered
19,105 Posts
Often "low voltage" to many sensors(or even out of them) is not a bad sensor. It is a bad connection, usually dirty battery cables. When the ECM registers a low voltage issue with a(any) sensor it is usually to a voltage drop in the system, usually due to bad batteries during cranking, a ;loose or dirty battery terminal/clamp or other short or high resistance issues. So when ever you get low voltage codes, dead pedal or other electrical such issues in any sensor always start with cleaning all battery cables and other related connections. Saves a lot of money on un needed sensor on these trucks. Same goes for "circuit open codes".

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay thanks , The battery's were low from sitting. I put them on a slow charge last night to see if they would take a charge if not I'll be getting some new ones, the data log was showing 0 on the map and it usually reads 7 I believe on my other truck so I ordered it just incase, I can send it back if it ends up being just the batteries.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Map sensor took care of sluggishness and no spooling. It was a low voltage map code. This weekend Ill be taking care of tappet cover if work goes good. Replaced Map with BWD, $90 with our account. I know its not the best, but if it goes I can replace it in 2 mins and it has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thats a sweet deal and a good looking truck! Nice find (y)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks! Got the tappet cover gasket replaced today and seems to be doing well and not leaking, hopefully it stays that way. The old one fell into about 100 pieces when I took it off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts