Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,679 Posts
you need to go with a radial. super swamper trxus aren't too bad. they wear fair and don't have much road noise....but they don't look cool IMO :lol4:

·
Registered
27 Posts
No one makes a 44" radial, unless you go with an industrial or military tire. You're only choice if you want that size is to go with a bias ply. I had 44" TSL Bogggers on my '99 Powerstroke and the ride was terrible. I drove it daily for about 6 months before finally getting rid of it. They got terrible traction in the rain and snow. The noise was ridiculous and they vibrated the truck like crazy, as they don't balance out very well. The 44" Trxus is supposed to ride ok, but they are incredibly wide and are hard to find rims for, as they are recommended to be mounted on a 14" wide rim. You can go with a military tire like the Michelin Xl, but being steel belted and having a 12,000# load capacity, they are incredibly heavy. You're best bet for a decent driving large size tire would be either the 42" Bfg KM2, as it's the largest conventional radial made. Or possibly the 41" Irok.

Reactions: ronald2009

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive got 40x15.50 toyo open country tires on my truck now. It doesnt ride the best, but with a tire this size I really didnt expect it to ride like a Cadillac.

So the ride difference between a radial and bias is going to be pretty significant?

·
Registered
383 Posts
bias ply in the winter or colder months will be like driving on square blocks also until they warm up and become round again also.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sweet truck!:thumbsup:

·
Hemi
12,651 Posts
Your truck looks great dude! I just looked through my little Interco booklet a 41" Irok radial

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive got 40x15.50 toyo open country tires on my truck now. It doesnt ride the best, but with a tire this size I really didnt expect it to ride like a Cadillac.

So the ride difference between a radial and bias is going to be pretty significant?
Typically, a bias ply tire will give you a little bumpier ride and the steering isn't as precise, especially at higher speeds. Although when you're talking that size tire, even a radial won't handle as well, as I'm sure you already know. One other thing to keep in mind is when left sitting, a bias ply tire will flat spot, especially when it gets cold. After being parked on colder nights, it would take 5 miles for my 44"s to round and smooth out the next morning. The other big problem is how quickly a bias ply will wear, especially on a heavier diesel. And if you do a lot of driving on the highway, the tread will disappear in no time.

After doing some research on the 44" Trxus, a lot of people claim it's supposed to actually be a pretty decent tire, given the size. They supposedly ride pretty smooth and are pretty quiet. However, they still wear quick. I actually had a set ordered at one time, but ended up canceling them after a month and a half of waiting for them since they were back ordered and after realizing how hard it is to find the proper wheel for them. Weld Racing actually used to make some 14" wide rims, but discontinued them at the time I was looking for some. They can still be found on ebay from time to time. I have seen the Trxus's mounted on 12" wide wheels and ran successfully, but it's a gamble, as it's not what the tire was designed for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome truck, btw!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My truck is not a daily driver......I drive it maybe 2 or 3 times per month if Im lucky. So with it sitting so much that may not be good on a bias tire?

·
Registered
27 Posts
My truck is not a daily driver......I drive it maybe 2 or 3 times per month if Im lucky. So with it sitting so much that may not be good on a bias tire?
It won't necessarily damage the tires over a short period, as they usually will fully round out after a little driving. But for the first few miles or so of driving after leaving it sitting for a few weeks, expect a pretty bumpy ride. Now if you left the truck sitting for several months or possibly years with full weight on the tires, they might not round out as well. But as long as it's driven a few times out of the month, they should be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts