Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I want to thank everyone for their input to my question about my 1996 12v 2500 and my 2000 24v 2500. Both 4x4 autos.

I'm going to rebuild the 96 engine and chronicle the entire thing on a web page. It will be for the novice builder like myself. I'm hoping to find encouragement and suggestions from the veteran builders that are on this site.

So, I'll get back to you guys with the link to my site when it is up, I suspect I shall have the initial site up with photos of both trucks as they are by saturday.

This will be a step by step, HIGHLY detailed chronicle of one man's journey into the bowels of a 12v 5.9L cummins.

The reason for the website is so the seasoned guys and spot all the crap I do wrong and hopefully save me time, energy and resources by suggesting the right way!

Cheers,
Mark

· Registered
442 Posts
I look forward to seeing the rebuild process. Are you doing a stock rebuild or something a little more performance based?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As for now I was just planning to do a stock rebuild. I was going to purchase a drop in low mileage 12v from a salvage company and my wife said "why don't you just pull the old one out and see what's wrong with it?"

I said, ok. She thinks it's silly to spend more money than necessary on anything. Keeper huh? :)

Cheers,
Mark

· Registered
9,910 Posts
haha, well its her fault now :D

What exactly is wrong with the engine? Keep in mind it may be cheaper to just buy another engine, if you have to start replacing pistons you are looking at almost $400 a pop!

If you do decide to go through with this, go to quickeserve.cummins.com and sign up. best $50 (or so) you will ever spend. Punch in your ESN and you will have the complete service manuals to go through.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another gentleman said I could take my 24v out of my 2000, put the 7100 pump from my 12v on it and presto....new engine

· Premium Member
1,911 Posts
theres alittle more to it than that. yes you have just about everything that you need, but u will still need injectors lines, alot of people for what i hear have problems with injectors pop pressure. firguring out the right pop pressure so that it runs right can be tricky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.