Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Ram 3500, Firepunk auto, 4x4
335 Posts
I believe the plastic impeller is for the 6.7 motor. I have one here on my floor and that is what it has in it, vs our metal pump. They can be interchanged, but the 6.7 pumps faster for a bit more flow. I have always used Gates products with great success both on this truck and on several other vehicles. They seem to have quality water pumps and radiatior hoses, timing components etc. They are all made in China, our trucks made in Mexico etc. The quality of manufacturing matters in this day and age. I support USA anytime possible, but with Cummins they are international.

·
Registered
742 Posts
...If I ever need more supply than the stock 09 pump makes I will probably use a GDP gear pump.
GDP Fuel Boss is what I'm running. Best part about that pump (that I've never seen anybody else mention) is that if you lose a belt, your CP3 can draw fuel through it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Looking into a combination of banks parts. Will these parts potentially increase or harm MPG? They have decent claims and everything on this list is CA CARB compliant.

3,644 Posts
Virtually no aftermarket bolt-ons will increase fuel economy in these trucks.

Banks stuff is way overpriced and way over-rated IMO.

An aftermarket, larger intercooler will show zero gains, even in a high HP truck. Ask me how I know!
The stock intercooler is large and totally adequate.

An aftermarket cold air intake will show zero HP or MPG gains on a mild truck.

The Banks exhausts are super nice but man are they pricey. More than MBRP and other quality brand names.

That Banks Economind looks like an interceptor type module.
Technology has passed those by. A ECM programmer is a much better choice.
Despite all the claims, a programmer will not increase fuel economy.

Like was discussed earlier, the 2003-04 trucks have a limited ECM, limiting the programmer choices for those trucks.
Even the 2004.5-05 truck ECM's are limited.

IMO, if you don't have any gauges yet, the Smarty Touch/MM3 is the best monitor/programmer for the 2003-05 trucks.

Here is some info on monitor/programmers for the 2003-05 trucks:

If you are looking for more power, lower EGT's, your small 2004 turbo is the current bottleneck.
If you are looking for much more power, the NV5600 clutch (who knows what clutch that used 18 year old truck has in it) will be be a weakpoint also.

I recommend to not add any power to your "new to you" used truck until you have all the issues resolved and maintenance completed.
Additional fuel filtration and gauges/monitor would be the 1st aftermarket upgrades I recommend.
Likely aftermarket/upgrade 4wd steering and suspension components will be needed.
Shocks, ball joints, steering components, etc.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Virtually no aftermarket bolt-ons will increase fuel economy in these trucks.

Banks stuff is way overpriced and way over-rated IMO.

An aftermarket, larger intercooler will show zero gains, even in a high HP truck. Ask me how I know!
The stock intercooler is large and totally adequate.

An aftermarket cold air intake will show zero HP or MPG gains on a mild truck.

The Banks exhausts are super nice but man are they pricey. More than MBRP and other quality brand names.

That Banks Economind looks like an interceptor type module.
Technology has passed those by. A ECM programmer is a much better choice.
Despite all the claims, a programmer will not increase fuel economy.

Like was discussed earlier, the 2003-04 trucks have a limited ECM, limiting the programmer choices for those trucks.
Even the 2004.5-05 truck ECM's are limited.

IMO, if you don't have any gauges yet, the Smarty Touch/MM3 is the best monitor/programmer for the 2003-05 trucks.

Here is some info on monitor/programmers for the 2003-05 trucks:

If you are looking for more power, lower EGT's, your small 2004 turbo is the current bottleneck.
If you are looking for much more power, the NV5600 clutch (who knows what clutch that used 18 year old truck has in it) will be be a weakpoint also.

I recommend to not add any power to your "new to you" used truck until you have all the issues resolved and maintenance completed.
Additional fuel filtration and gauges/monitor would be the 1st aftermarket upgrades I recommend.
Likely aftermarket/upgrade 4wd steering and suspension components will be needed.
Shocks, ball joints, steering components, etc.
Copy, thanks!

Getting it zeroed out maintenance-wise is my first priority, then maximizing fuel efficiency. Sounds like leaving it stock is about as fuel efficient as I can go.

I pressed out/in the new fan hub bearing yesterday. I’m doing the front seal today. Checking valve lash will have to wait until I get back for Christmas. Then it’s onto the front end.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting Gas

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Kind of an afterthought, but wouldn’t there be oil on the back side of this ring if my crank seal was leaking?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

If so, I guess something else is producing this oil on the cover.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
What year seats will fit this truck? I can come up with an adapter bracket, just curious about overall width, etc.

edit: found a thread on 2010+ seats in a third gen.

3,644 Posts
All looking good. Hopefully you found some loose bolts on the timing cover and timing gear support and that will take care of any leaks there.

Your water pump pulley is super rusty already. But you just bought the truck and drove it home.
Do you live in a high humidity area? It would take years for that pump to get that rusty in dry Alberta!

I recommend to flush the p/s pump also. disconnect the cooler lines, drain it and refill it with ATF4.
Run it a bit, drain and refill again.

There are tons of threads on swapping in newer seats into the early 3rd Gen trucks. Lots of info there.
The 2003-05 seats are terrible. 2006-09 seats are worse!
I think they started getting better in 2010 or so.
I got rid of my 2004 front seats years ago. But I went with 2004 SRT-10 RAM seats. Cost me plenty but worth every penny.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
All looking good. Hopefully you found some loose bolts on the timing cover and timing gear support and that will take care of any leaks there.

Your water pump pulley is super rusty already. But you just bought the truck and drove it home.
Do you live in a high humidity area? It would take years for that pump to get that rusty in dry Alberta!

I recommend to flush the p/s pump also. disconnect the cooler lines, drain it and refill it with ATF4.
Run it a bit, drain and refill again.

There are tons of threads on swapping in newer seats into the early 3rd Gen trucks. Lots of info there.
The 2003-05 seats are terrible. 2006-09 seats are worse!
I think they started getting better in 2010 or so.
I got rid of my 2004 front seats years ago. But I went with 2004 SRT-10 RAM seats. Cost me plenty but worth every penny.
used a nice bead of really right stuff and torqued the cover bolts to 18 lbs.

Yes, I’m two hours east of the ocean and two hours west of Lake Tahoe, so we get storms from both directions. Our average annual rainfall is about 48”. A few weeks back, we had 7” in less than 36 hours. Not a jungle, but a decent amount of rain.

Will do on the PS pump.

I’m used to long trips in old trucks, but these have a possibly unsafe condition. The metal plates that adjust the lumbar squeeze have a exposed leading edge. The motor sounds like it needs some help, too. All around, it’s sounding like the right time.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I've read posts about the Chinese Gates pumps. There was even a recent post about a plastic impellor but IDK if it was Gates.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts