Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR what’s your opinion on Murray radiators from Oh Really auto parts.

Hey,

Thanks for the advise thus far. I picked up this 2004.0 2500. I’m mostly doing maintenance items here. I may or may not go down the other upgrade rabbit hole once the truck upkeep is complete. I plan on using this for long road trips towing a light (4000lb) RV, but also in my area dragging other old trucks home. I’m non discriminate on brand. This is my first 24v.

The truck has 200k and I’m pretending like nothing has been done. I want to do all the front end stuff, fuel stuff, fluid stuff and anything else that may sabotage my longer trips.

I stopped at Walmart to get the atf and 2so, when I notice a radiator drip from the end tank. This is the first truck where I’ll be replacing the radiator, on my older stuff it’s always been serviceable.

I know there are high end aftermarket ones out there. I also know that NOS ones may be available, but dodge discontinued the OEM. I normally never skimp, but follow along on my logic here. I’m thinking about getting a Murray from Oh reallys. First, lifetime warranty. Second, if something crappy happens on the road, their stores are all over the west. Of course I plan on putting it through the ringer as much as possible locally, before we hit the road in the spring.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering wheel

Tire Plant Car Wheel Vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Reactions: 5.7 Hemi

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just bought the Murray radiator. I also hit Napa’s 20% off sale. I got 6 quarts of pennzoil synchromesh mtf, water pump, fan clutch, hoses 4 gallons of zerex g05, green heavy duty serp belt, fuel and oil filter hotshot stiction eliminator, hotshot injector and a bunch of other little crap. Most boring $800 I’ve ever spent. I need to find a good tensioner pulley.

·
SuperModerator
10,587 Posts
If you go to this link you can make a signature with all your truck info and any mods or add-ons it has, which helps those of us who can see it when trying to help you.

The NV600 really benefits from an extra quart over the recommended fill amount.
I have the Fast Coolers installed which adds 2 qts, then I fill through the trans tower for a total of 9 qts in mine.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even though I bought the parts house water pump already, I decided to call the dodge dealer to see what they had. $303 plus tax…holy crap. I asked if it was made on this continent, at least. He said, “We have made in china on the box of a lot of the parts we see.”

I guess I’ll roll the dice on the Napa water pump I bought. I got it because I’ve read that they end up leaking. Is it just the o-ring that fails? Would I be better off resealing the factory one to the block? I just don’t want to replace the radiator, only to have the water pump fail and tear into it again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Water pump usually starts leaking from the shaft seal. Water pump is pretty easy to change slip the belt off and remove 2 bolts. I don't have any experience with O'Reilly's radiator but I did put one from ABC Auto in my 04.5. It only lasted about 2 years before it started leaking from the crimps on the tank. I replaced it with a Mishimoto factory replacement radiator and it seems to be doing good going on 3 years and about 60,000 miles. Nice looking trucks and property you have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Water pump usually starts leaking from the shaft seal. Water pump is pretty easy to change slip the belt off and remove 2 bolts. I don't have any experience with O'Reilly's radiator but I did put one from ABC Auto in my 04.5. It only lasted about 2 years before it started leaking from the crimps on the tank. I replaced it with a Mishimoto factory replacement radiator and it seems to be doing good going on 3 years and about 60,000 miles. Nice looking trucks and property you have.
Yep, water pump seems simple enough. I’d like to do it all at once since $80 worth of zerex g05 is going back in.

Hopefully my radiator doesn’t crap the bed when I’m on the road 1000 miles from my tool box.

If I weren’t pressed for time, I’d order the Mishimoto from summit.

…And yes, unfortunately I have a thing for trucks of all flavors. This is my other current project. 1975 f350 supercab 460BBF with 62k original miles . My buddy’s grandpa used it as a shop truck for their mill works business. Besides having sawdust in every nook and cranny it is in pretty good shape. It needed some basic maintenance and new seals. There are a few bumps and bruises, but I’ll leave it that way. Fortunately, rust isn’t too much of an issue out here.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Plant

Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Car seat cover Vehicle door

Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
FWIW, my heavy towing in the mtns requires a WELL maintained cooling system and I've had schitt for luck with tstats. I replace them about every 60k miles... if they even last that long. Some times with age they just won't open all the way. Genos has a quality stat or Cummins, but NOT napa.

Reactions: GoldCountryCA

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Anything engine related will have a rediculous markup form Mopar. A Cummins 3rd gen water pump is $190 and the Gates is $83. Shoot from Rockauto the Gates is $54.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anything engine related will have a rediculous markup form Mopar. A Cummins 3rd gen water pump is $190 and the Gates is $83. Shoot from Rockauto the Gates is $54.
I called dodge for the radiator and water pump. They said the water pump is $303. Yep three hundred bucks!

·
Mountain Man Customs
2,782 Posts
I think the parts store radiators are pretty good. I put a Spectre from RockAuto in my 04 before I started turning up the power, eventually at over 750hp and grossing 20-25k all the time, and never had an issue with the radiator. I still talk with the new owner occasionally and he uses it for work too, has had no issues at all with the truck but a leaking front main seal.

Anyway, on the topic of water pumps, that's one part that I will always buy OEM Cummins. The aftermarket ones don't last very long in my experience. I'd not buy from the dealer though. Most any genuine Cummins water pump will be made in China anymore though, Cummins has been global for decades.

I really like that pickup except the tan interior is a bummer. Best of wishes to you in keeping it clean!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the parts store radiators are pretty good. I put a Spectre from RockAuto in my 04 before I started turning up the power, eventually at over 750hp and grossing 20-25k all the time, and never had an issue with the radiator. I still talk with the new owner occasionally and he uses it for work too, has had no issues at all with the truck but a leaking front main seal.

Anyway, on the topic of water pumps, that's one part that I will always buy OEM Cummins. The aftermarket ones don't last very long in my experience. I'd not buy from the dealer though. Most any genuine Cummins water pump will be made in China anymore though, Cummins has been global for decades.

I really like that pickup except the tan interior is a bummer. Best of wishes to you in keeping it clean!
Thanks!
I’ll likely get the marathon seat covers.

3,644 Posts
We need more pics of the truck!

3rd Gen rads are a funny subject. I have been shopping for an upgraded rad for my 2004.5 truck for years.
My truck has always run hot when towing in the summer and the stock rad drain plug is completely mickey mouse.

Be careful of the generic off-shore replacement rads. Some have a thinner core than the stock rad.

The US made Griffin rad is awesome but... US$1200..
The Mishimoto rad is totally lame for the 3rd Gens, thinner core than stock for US$800...

Here is more info on 3rd Gen radiators:

Reactions: GoldCountryCA

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How likely are the rubber intercooler pipes to go bad? Should I replace all of them while doing the radiator?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
If they're in good shape they'll be good just make sure the clamps are all tight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went ahead and bought new hoses since access is much easier with the front of the truck apart. Unfortunately they are bright blue and look terrible, but oh well.

As I carefully moved the condenser out of the way I could hear one of the HVAC fittings hissing if I move it a certain way. Sounded like it was coming from the back of the compressor.

3,644 Posts
That truck looks super clean with no rust or dents at all.
Has it been in California all it's life?

An 18 year old 2004 truck with 200k miles is going to need work.
If all the rubber hoses are original and you are planning to tow long distances, they should all be replaced.
Heater hoses, rad hoses, turbo boots, the 2 silicon heater pipe couplers under exhaust manifold.

The front end will also need work especially if it still has the original Y style steering linkage and steering box.
May need shocks, brakes.
Brakes bled, coolant flush, power steering flush.

I like Redline fluids, MTL in the NV5600, 75W-140 in the rear axle, 75W-90 in the front axle.

Hopefully the HVAC blend doors are working ok. Unfortunately there is no cabin filter in these trucks but one can be retrofitted if you have the HVAC box out.

www.genosgarage.com plus check your local Cummins dealer for the best prices.

Reactions: rghavana
1 - 20 of 54 Posts