Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found locally an 06 2500 4x4 ST that is advertised to have the HO I6 CTD. I don't know what makes that one different and I would like some advise on what differences there are and if there are any specific things to ask about.

I do know that it has an aftermarket exhaust so I would assume a tuner and I will surely want to know more about that before making a decision. If they don't have info about the tune is it possible to find out easily? I am thinking if they don't know I may just walk away.

I sure appreciate any advice. I consider you guys that own them and deal with them everyday to be the closest to experts as anyone can get.

Thanks.

Oh, don't know if it helps or makes a diff but here is the vin they listed. 1D7KS28C46J180850

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I found locally an 06 2500 4x4 ST that is advertised to have the HO I6 CTD.
3/4-Ton (payload capacity) High Output Inline Six Cylinder Cummins Turbo Diesel. 325hp/610tq from the factory, don't let the HO fool ya. 03-early 04 they were a tad less. The only thing that will differ are the packages, ST, SLT, Sport & Laramie. And then they had things on top of that like Big Horn, Lone Star editions, etc. Again, basically what the truck came wrapped in. In most cases the programmer would have been taken out and sold separately, if not, the programmer should be in the truck. The automatics have an overdrive lockout and a tow haul mode selection on the shifter. Manuals are six speeds. How many miles are on the truck? Judging by your comments, it appears you don't have any experience with the Dodge Cummins? What made you consider it? Again, mileage will help for more info

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am familiar with them but I had no idea what the HO was supposed to represent. It has 176000 miles on it and they are asking 18995. Going to take a closer look and see what they can tell me.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
558 Posts
I think it better be one nice truck for that kind of money. The ST is the lowest trim packages you can get. Usually has manual door locks and windows and vinyl seat. Is it a standard or quad cab?
Just because they put an aftermarket exhaust on it that doesn't mean it has a tuner. Try to find out as much as possible about it before you pull the trigger. There are ALOT of great trucks for sale right here on the forum with some really good prices. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
but I had no idea what the HO was supposed to represent. It has 176000 miles
They all said H.O., you will not find a low output one

Wonder if they had a list of anything that was replaced? I had to do my belt and tensioner at 107,000 and the front axle u-joints were done at 110K. The right side hub was done at 140K. I had 85K on my stock tranny and swapped it out for a Sun Coast. Tranny was still working fine, but started to hunt for gears. That would have been a $118 fix with an upgraded governor pressure solenoid. I believe I replaced the brakes twice so far. Every truck is different, so if people could chime in on what they have had to replace, that will help you out.
Price seems a little high to me, try and get them down. And test drive it! See how it handles, feel how the tranny is...The drive should be smooth as well as the power. Ask if they did any reflashes for updates.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went and looked at it. It has a CAI installed and a an aftermarket exhaust. It is pretty loud even at idle. There is no tuner in it and they don't know if it had one. They said they had to have the power steering fixed because it didn't work when they got it. Someone put an aftermarket bumper with a 2" receiver hole and rewired it for a 6 prong round plug. Will have to decide if I am willing to go through the headache of swapping out the bumper and adding a receiver hitch. I am looking at a diesel for towing my 10,000lb camper.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is it a stripped down truck? Sounds like a lot of money if it is. I take it that its at a car lot? I don't know if I would buy a truck with out knowing the history ecspecially since it has had some mods done to it. The last guy could have had a tuner on it a ran the truck to death.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that is precisely what I am afraid of. it is the ST model which is usually stripped down but this one has some color matched power leather seats in it. It just strikes me as odd all the way around. I think I will keep shopping.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I believe i would walk, on this one.

I got mine with 42K miles, the old man had died, his daughter traded it in for a small car.
hated it for the old man, but man o man did I get a nice low mileage dodge diesel truck, SLT model

have 60K+ on it now, so far its a great truck, had all the service work done as i had no history on maintenance, except how it drove and how it looked and it was at a local dealership.

Phen,
my truck is an 2005 model, note if you buy an 05 model with auto, you only have T/H, you cannot lockout overdrive without sometype modification. But, it has great power and gets good mpg, have never had any problem pulling anything i wanted to pull.

***just note about the O/D issue,*** that may be a turnoff for you,

T/H mode: I understand it changes the shift points and keeps the torque converter locked up longer, not for sure, but i do know the truck appears to shift harder or more positive in t/h,

the old truck will run like a wild dog, if you let her go.

be sure the trucks you look at do not have those fancy air filters, remember, more air flow means more dirt flow, diesels do not like dirt.

its hard to beat the std 4" thick factory air filter. this is one of the first things some change out. run your hand up the air tube and see if your hand come back coated in white dust, that will be dirt that had gotten past your fancy air filter.

good luck and happy hunting.

remember: its hard to find a good low mileage dodge diesel truck, they are good old trucks and there is no reason to get rid of them until they have high miles and are in need of major frontend work $$.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Be sure to check for blowby. Warm it up and set the oil cap on upside down. If it tries to blow off run for sure. Also at 170k your running on borrowed time on those injectors. If they have already been replaced great, if not I'd say you have about 50k left on them if your lucky. It cost $3k just to buy a new set plus $$ for install. If it smokes at all on startup run for sure. Could be head gasket, rings, or injectors. All are a sign it's been ran hard. Check the oil for consistence. Make sure it looks and smells like oil. It will be black as night right after they change it. That's normal. Just try to see if it has fuel or water in it. Both are bad. If they will let you send a sample off for an oil test do it. It's a great sign as to the condition of the motor. Post the results here and I'm sure someone will let you know the state it's in. Also look at the filters. See if they will let you show you the fuel filter to know if anyone thought about changing it this decade. Check for slack in the driveline as it is a sign of worn u-joints. Make sure it steers tight. Mine has 100k on it and has zero slack in the steering. Also look at the exhaust to see if all the components are there. You should have a cat and a muffler from factory. That will let you know if it's a turbo back exhaust or just cat back.

I know your already done with this truck, but just stuff to look for on the next one since you said you were new to this world.

Oh, also once it's warmed up, mash on the go pedal and see how it shifts. Make sure the tranny doesn't slip. It's normal for them to have a slight shudder from 1 to 2. But please make sure it's warm before you do that. That's the fastest way to tear one of these up. Also if you check the engine oil immediately after its been running it will show about a half quart low. Give it 10 mins and it should show on the line again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If you get real serious on one try to find someone with an edge monitor to plug it in and see how it looks. It will let you know if you have a boost fooler, your making the right amount of boost, and see if it has cp3 (high pressure fuel pump) issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts