Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has 150k on it. I'm trying to figure out some things to look for. So far I know to look for blow buy. Cold start it to see how it starts cold. Rev it in neutral and see if it hangs at all coming down. Feel for any shakes as I very slowly increase rpm.

Clutch put it in a high gear and try to take off. If it wants to stall, clutch will hold, if it trys to rev out, its slipping. This is how I've always tested gas motors. Anything different here?

Of course body rust, front end play etc but Im most concerned with the motor being healthy and the trans shifting well.

I need to get it to 300k if I get a truck like this. Ill be using it for atvs, camper, boat 5-15 times a year and all the normal weekend trips as well as DD. I currently put about 10k a year on vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I meant to add I have a elm27 and paid Torque app if there is a PID file I can grab and setup. I plan on scanning for codes.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit: This is clearly the wrong sub forum. Sorry about that. Would a mod kindly move it for me please.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Check conditions of all the fluids. Diesels make alot of torque so starting in a high gear to test the clutch isnt gonna prove much. Just take it through the gears and floor it in each gear like youre racing and just see if it slips. I love how everyone wants an 06 megacab....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the response. Truck is nice.

06 and 07 because of the non emissions version of the cummins and mega cab because they are awesome, g56 becaue I don't want to deal with a high mileage auto.

Its like looking for a unicorn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I can do better interior wise for the money. This was just an slt. Was starting to show the smallest amount of rust in the cab corners and someone dropped the tailgate on their hitch.

What a great drive train though, absolutely amazing, you guys know this already. Having never driven a diesel and the last manual was a LS1 Firebird, this was quite the opposite of my experiences and I loved every minute. I actually feel foolish for not trying one sooner, instant convert. Driving home in my gas truck you really feel the missing torque...

I'm full speed ahead on my search now... WTB 06-07 Mega Cab G56 5.9 4x4 truck sub 150k miles :D. Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has 150k on it. I'm trying to figure out some things to look for. So far I know to look for blow buy. Cold start it to see how it starts cold. Rev it in neutral and see if it hangs at all coming down. Feel for any shakes as I very slowly increase rpm.

Clutch put it in a high gear and try to take off. If it wants to stall, clutch will hold, if it trys to rev out, its slipping. This is how I've always tested gas motors. Anything different here?

Of course body rust, front end play etc but Im most concerned with the motor being healthy and the trans shifting well.

I need to get it to 300k if I get a truck like this. Ill be using it for atvs, camper, boat 5-15 times a year and all the normal weekend trips as well as DD. I currently put about 10k a year on vehicles.
Check out americantrucksource. They have a mega cab long bed dually g56 4wd, awesome looking truck. Wish I could afford it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
rear wheel wells are the first thing to rust on these. There are no aftermarket liners so if it bothers you, you'll have to cut out the sections and weld back together. every few years.

Since you have the manual tranny, I'd be most concerned with the front end components. It's easy to drop $10k there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are getting up there in age but I have hopes to find a clean example of what I have in mind. I had found a pristine one, got a ton of info and pics. Finally asked if any rear cab damage and got the shot showing it. I know its out there!

Good call out for the front end. I plan on doing some maintenance items when I get it just so I know where its started with what fluids but I don't want to be rebuilding the front end. Could be a possibility though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts