Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear members,

In a little bit I am heading to see a 2001 24v Cummins.

It has a full engine build (besides pistons & cam) along w/ heater core delete & a stage 4 ATS transmission

The owner stated a few issues w/ the rig.

1. The air bag light is on & he’s communicated that it can be fixed (to what extent the airbag light needs to be fixed is TBD)

2. The fuel gauge does NOT work, owned er stated that it was (2 costly to replace the spring that broke in the tank itself

3. Minor surface rust on rear end of the body....

I am bringing a scan tool w/ me to see what the exact codes are brought up upon looking @ the rig. However, I would like to get some sort of insight as to what codes I should be on the look out for to mitigate my risk in the purchase of the truck.

THIS IS HIS POST COPIED INTO THE THREAD:

“Body has 280k, engine was rebuilt at 140k with a couple of goodies... ats turbo, arp head studs, 90 over injectors, cold air intake, fass fuel pump, grid heater delete, 5” turbo back exhaust and red head steering box. Old owner also put in a stage 4 ats transmission with the controller in the cab. Just had most of the front end re done along with a 4th gen steering upgrade, new power steering pump and aftermarket oil catch can. All recent work has been done at House of Power in bend and they do a great job. It has a 2” leveling kit and on 35s. Inside is decent, has a double din Kenwood stereo and wired for subs.
Only bad things are that the bottom of the doors have a little rust but rockers and frame are perfect. Fuel gauge doesn’t work due to it seizing up in the tank but the price of fixing it didn’t make sense. A wire in the clock spring is loose so air bag light is on but working on getting it fixed along with oil pressure sensor. OBO no trades looking for cash to get new truck.”

What would you pay for the truck? He’s asking 12 for it OBO. I am traveling to see it on my journey to my final destination. Good buy? Or pass on it? Let me know pictures attached as well

PS. Truck has been on the market for QUITE sometime. Idk is that a sign to stay away? Opinions please? As I have an apt anytime after 12 o’clock with said owner to take a look in person

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I’d pass. Has a ton of miles and a lot of little issues which will nickel and dime you to death. Look for a clean mostly stock truck, you can get into all kinds of nonsense inheriting someone else’s modifications and rebuilds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@nuljas23 got it, still won’t hurt to look @ it I think. But thanks for the advice, I will definitely looking look for a stockish truck to start my Cummins adventure with, as I’ve had a duramax but sold it. It definitely has high mileage... I agree

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It’s also way too much considering the issues and rust. You’d spend thousands getting it all fixed and cleaned up. It seems like they’ve had enough of this truck and it’s problems and are just looking to get rid of it.

Reactions: J.R.R.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Why is he looking at the oil pressure sender? Looks like he’s done the classic spray can bed liner rocker repair.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Is that the brake and ABS lights together?
My truck did this when I replaced the PCM.
Once I had my VIN programmed into the ReMan PCM the lights went out.
The truck ran fine though.

Fuel gauge is usually the sending unit.
They're not that expensive to replace, so what the heck on that one?
If the CO hasn't fixed a little thing like the sending unit, what other little things have been ignored?

If the truck's been on the market for a while at 12, you're probably not the first to make an offer.
Sounds like he's not going to budge on the price.
12 is top NADA retail.

Here's the big one though...
There's no way a properly cared for 2nd Gen would have a rebuilt engine by 280K miles.
Pretty pictures, but all of the value is (was) in the drive train.

Reactions: gerlbaum

·
Registered
540 Posts
I paid 12k for my truck a few months ago. It also has a lot of miles...but it didn't look like that. That dude didn't even clean it off very well. Kind of a sign of how the dude takes care of his truck. The underside looks nice, but there is a super rusty piece right under the bumper.

My truck was 'rust free' but turned out it was masked to hide some rust. That being said, you can get rust free beds for roughly $1k. You can get rust free doors for $100-$150. You can get used fuel tanks with the sending units/pumps/whatever for $100 or under...all these things can be tackled, but IMO, and if I had it to do again, I would look for:

1. Rust free...like no rust on the body anywhere.
2. Manual
3. Unmolested

Rust is a pain in the ass...especially when you spend $12k on a 20 year old truck...it'll haunt you. You can make that truck as awesome as you want...but...cancer. :)

Reactions: krs

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I would at least check it out.
I will say where I live you can't touch a rust free 2nd truck for $12k .Mint stock ones go for $20k.
I wouldn't let the miles bother you if it's been maintained.
See if the CO has receipts for engine work.
The clock spring probably got broke when the new steering was installed.Easy fix
Fuel sending unit is easy too.
I would look to see how well taken care of it looks like.
I would rather find a truck with mods not a stock one because the parts to modify are so expensive.
If it has a ats trans that's recent there's $4-6k right there for example.
Turbo another $1700 ,steering linkage $500 steering box$700 it all adds up quick.
And let's face it these trucks kinda suck stock so your going to have do all these mods anyway. Let someone else take the hit on all the high dollar stuff.

Reactions: Max Tune

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would at least check it out.
I will say where I live you can't touch a rust free 2nd truck for $12k .Mint stock ones go for $20k.
I wouldn't let the miles bother you if it's been maintained.
See if the CO has receipts for engine work.
The clock spring probably got broke when the new steering was installed.Easy fix
Fuel sending unit is easy too.
I would look to see how well taken care of it looks like.
I would rather find a truck with mods not a stock one because the parts to modify are so expensive.
If it has a ats trans that's recent there's $4-6k right there for example.
Turbo another $1700 ,steering linkage $500 steering box$700 it all adds up quick.
And let's face it these trucks kinda suck stock so your going to have do all these mods anyway. Let someone else take the hit on all the high dollar stuff.

I agree completely. I bought my truck 2 years ago and paid what everyone I know said was a crazy amount for a 2002 with 154k. The way I looked at it was, I'm paying for all the upgrades and the labor involved for those upgrades and I was getting the truck for free. I couldn't be happier with the truck and I absolutely love it. Same people that said I was crazy, now say if I ever sell, let them know......lol

·
Registered
20,406 Posts
He has spent a lot on this truck.. He is getting rid of it for a reason, and it is not to be nice and not to be nice and pass it on to you. When this advice is ask my first answer is NEVER buy rusty no matter how minor as it is never repairable in cab or doors. Too many things he has neglected.
Clock spring for airbag light $200 part alone
Tank and canister pump and sending unit $500 part alone
rust and paint----unlimited.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
He has spent a lot on this truck.. He is getting rid of it for a reason, and it is not to be nice and not to be nice and pass it on to you. When this advice is ask my first answer is NEVER buy rusty no matter how minor as it is never repairable in cab or doors. Too many things he has neglected.
Clock spring for airbag light $200 part alone
Tank and canister pump and sending unit $500 part alone
rust and paint----unlimited.
It sounds like you know the CO and have looked at it .I guess you have seen the extent of the rust and neglect.
If that's the case I agree with you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts