Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got Opie's MITUSA yesterday! Hopefully be installing it later today. No more electrical lift pump... keep you guys posted and i'll take some in-progress pictures! :drool2: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
What pump is this and who makes it? I am interested in looking at one of these.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What pump is this and who makes it? I am interested in looking at one of these.
Opie of Intelligent engineering makes it. Welcome to Intelligent Engineering, Inc - Manufacturer of the strongest high performance diesel parts in the world!

It's a mechanical lift pump driven off a pulley from the harmonic dampener that takes place of the stock electrical system and (via a regulator) maintains ~ 16-17 psi from idle to WOT. GDP makes a system similar to it... fuel boss... except it keeps the stock system and kicks in the electric fuel pump @ a certain psi via hobbs pressure switch.
After talkin to Opie, he said that the back-up isn't necessary and he even includes an extra belt just for that "warm fuzzy" (even though they Rarely ever break)
Pretty simple and seemingly easy-to-install system. (soon to tell) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
what kind of fuel filter are you using

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If you dont mind me asking how much did it run ya? I wouldnt mind looking into one for my p pump set up but i didnt see anything on there site about a 40psi pump

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what kind of fuel filter are you using
I was going to get a perma-cool or equivalent filter/water sep. set-up, but I didn't feel like waiting for it to come in the mail, so i just went and picked up a bracket & 7 micron filter from NAPA... might up grade to better filter later, if i have any problems w/ the regulator getting s#%* in it...

If you dont mind me asking how much did it run ya? I wouldnt mind looking into one for my p pump set up but i didnt see anything on there site about a 40psi pump
they're ~500 for the system w/ everything... i don't know about a 40psi pump, but i imagine opie could prob. do something for you (i'm pretty sure he can adjust #'s via regulator for whatever application you need)

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Will this kit only work with a stock harmonic balancer?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will this kit only work with a stock harmonic balancer?
I'm not 100% sure... I know the fuel boss only works w/ stock balancer... i imagine the problem is getting the belt to line up as close to perpendicular as possible w/o touchin the harmonic balancer or the cooling fan. Anyone else able to chime in??

·
Diesel South
1,545 Posts
I'm not 100% sure... I know the fuel boss only works w/ stock balancer... i imagine the problem is getting the belt to line up as close to perpendicular as possible w/o touchin the harmonic balancer or the cooling fan. Anyone else able to chime in??
I'm not sure about the balancer, but just don't get the belt too tight when installing, it doesn't require barely any tension at all, and make sure the regulator is right, it's a little confusing!!!

as for 40psi, it will be the same pump just a quick adjustment on the regulator, these pumps are capable of enough fuel for over 2000hp i believe so you will never need another!

priming can be a little tricky by yourself without an electric pump, we used the old suck and blow method....... or there is another pulley provided for a drill to prime too..... we used a little ether too.....

·
Registered
8,728 Posts
did you order straight through OPIE? you won't be disappointed with the product at all

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you order straight through OPIE? you won't be disappointed with the product at all
Yeah, contacted him and ordered straight from him. Love it :thumbsup: .... get pictures on soon! :drool2:

>and priming wasn't too bad, just used the drill and kept the last connection to the stock fuel canister off.... primed her til i saw fuel come outa the hose. might of been a little too excited and lost about a gallon of diesel, Oh well :hehe:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are some pictures...
Regulator barrel w/ some connections

Pump... not plumbed

Pulley... bolted to harmonic balancer

Connection to stock fuel line

Relay(just elec. load to prevent check engine light upon removal of stock pump)

Barrel installed

MITUSA plumbed and installed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dam comforting to see that even really getting into the skinny pedal won't change pressure... show 16-17 constantly. :headbang:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts