Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

After the 2" lift and opening up pandorah's box LOL, I decided to make more of the front end on this truck more into a high performance setting than it was bought as...

I took the zawsall to the drag link and tie rod linkage this weekend after a bad start finding out I was out of torch food for the cutting torch :(

I was unable to take the ball sockets loose without lots of hammering and possibly damaging them with my torch to wram them up. Bummer too as I wanted to chop saw these and do a different build on these all together from what I did...

So I hacked these two linkages into anyway and fitted them with a thick wall sleeve of pipe.
I cut the two in half and at the same point basically and then just swapped the two halfs over to the other side of the other half, if you guys follow me???

By doing this they stayed basically the same lenght to each rod over all length, but it made the tie rod that goes from one tire, to now it goes from tire to tire connection as one long tie rod with adjustment...

Now, I plan to finish what I got started this week-end by adding another steering stabilizer to help with the bump steer I have had after the level kit... Only thing after this I plan to do is either buy a drop pitman arm, or just cut and weld on the drop to what I have, in order to get the drag link more straight in line with the tie-rod that it drags...

I think all this to be key here to a more stiff and direct responsive system...

After I cut and welded on the swapped linkages I re-aligned the front by using two straight edges on the outside edges of the front tires and measuring the distance across the front and rear of the front tires... Then all was left was to re-center the steering wheel and make sure of full steering travel from lock to lock...

I will get art work on this today if I can buy a steering stabilizer locally and get this all fitted and welded under the front... It sure looks a lot better to me already with this going from tire to tire and all one piece, then I will get the extra steering stabilizer mounted and see if I can buy the drop pitman arm...

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
I cant wait to see pics.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
yeah sounds beefy get them pics up

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, its been a mad busy muth'r around here today with trying to get everything done and where I can run tomorrow. I had a visit to the dealer this afternoon also, had the tech throw on the AX flash...

That got a little exciting also, as when he first tried to reflash her, she wouldn't let him... He goes and gets something and when he gets back to the bay I am at with the truck, he said he was having to reload the boot loaded program first... I stopped him and asked why he has to do that??? He told me he has had to reload the boot loader on a few when he couldn't get them to reflash. Was not really big on this and I had not read this happening to anyone here before either. So I was worried to say the least.

He gets this put in and then goes and get the AX and starts that, some time passes and then its ready for a smoke test... She started up and the tech told me that was always a good sign and laughed at me LOL... I was sweating bullets at that point:) Brought the truck home and somewhat finished throwing on the extra steering stabilizer and didn't get everything as I wanted just yet, buts its on there and working for now.

All the stuff I did this past weekend has addressed the death wobble that I had at one of the worst places it would get into running all over the road and really scare the be-Jesus out of me. We will see how it does tomorrow on the route with some of the others and have the trailer in tow as well... I am still thinking I may even change everything on this again and start from scratch with greaseable ball sockets and everything. Not sure, but I am not big on how this has turned out... Was a PITA to do and the whole thing and when it's finished and I don't care so much for it, it usually gets re-done again LOL... Time will tell though.

Have not had a chance to take PIC's as promised either:( sorry guys, those will have to be tomorrow... I got to get ready and hit the rack as 2:30 am comes way early around here...

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys for the delayed response here, had bad storms in the area last night and the last part of this week has been nothing but a foot race for me anyway. I had the AX flash done to the 6.7 on Monday and been dealing with all of the stuff that has come with the change of the new flash as well as the steering mods...

Here is 2 PIC's I just shot of the new steering mods at this point. Its not such a good view and all is covers in mud and spray from all the stormy weather I drove in the last 2 days... The first one is from the driverside looking across to the passenger side.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8da05b3127cceb7a6cb33ae1b00000016108BcNXLVo3aq

The next is from the passenger side looking toward the driverside...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8da05b3127cceb7a6cb3dae1500000016108BcNXLVo3aq

In the PIC's you can see why I want to change all this up and totally rework the entire system. I had to mount the second stabilizer on the top side of the long tie-rod or it would be right in the way of the front axle fill and also get really close to where the ring gear protrution is on the cover plate. Not to mention all these slight bends that Dodge has put in these rods to help with clearance issues. These bends they have I figure adds to the wobble somewhat also as the bends will weaken the strength of the rods as opposed to a straight rod...

Never the less I have it working right now and its doing fine now and have no issues with the wobble anymore. So its fine for now Grrrrrr:(
I just don't like it and I ran out of time to do anything else...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Jeb,

Get a high performance steering stabilizer...better than the oem ones. Check out OME or one of the other vendors.

I was surprised how much better the OME (Old Man Emu) stabilizer ran on my old Jeeps. Even after crushing it a bit offroad it was still good as new. My stock one was shot after 20k miles.

IIRC it wasn't very expensive either...maybe $65 or something around there. Not sure about the dodge's though, but it's the same idea.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Avid,

I might do that dude, I just got what I had here local for now and its got a great price of like 38 bucks and the guys at my parts place are great to help with any issues that might come up later LOL... This one I got is for the Dodge 5500 truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts